The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:55:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: The Diary of a 676 Pound Man - December 31, 2003  (Read 15395 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
The Diary of a 676 Pound Man - December 31, 2003
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »

Vito Whitlach, a long time reader of The Geekery, and an avid poster on The Geek Forums, has sent in one of many diary entries that I found to be very touching. In his entries, he shares with us how he went from being a morbidly obese man to being a healthy 200 pound man over the course of several decades.

December 31, 2003 -- Late night

Reminiscing upon 2003, I've really began to notice the wear and tear that all this extra weight has put on my body. I have gone through several knee surgeries since both of my knees have collapsed inward from the tremendous pressure applied to them when going to the bathroom once a day, and I have also began to notice that even the simplest of things - like breathing - have become more and more difficult since the start of 2003. I'll admit it - I'm 676 pounds, and I'm a very, very fat man, and I need some help!

With that being the case, I'm going to make a resolution to become a healthier person by losing a steady amount of weight each month until I reach a reasonable weight. I'm not going to waste my time setting specific goals I want to achieve per month or when everything is said and done. So as long as the pounds are coming off, be it one pound or ten, I will be proud of myself and will reward myself accordingly.

After watching the ball drop tonight I am going to become a new person - a person who is aware of what they are eating, a person that is going to have a renewed sense of the will to live, a person who is once again alive.

January 1, 2004 -- Morning

This morning I woke up and made my usual breakfast along with some left overs that I had made last night for ringing in the new year which included 23 hot dogs and about three pounds of steak. Along
with that I made a 12-egg omelet with about 6 slices of Land-o-Lakes American cheese, 12 pieces of bacon, 8 sausage links and a freshly squeezed 64 ounce glass of orange juice to balance everything and make me feel as though I had a healthy meal. Afterwards, I put on my favourite table cloth and went for a slow walk around the the nearby park.
The weather was so nice this morning - It didn't even really feel like winter. The sun was warm, the temperature was about 40, and there was dew on the grass and other nearby surfaces that mimicked the dew that proceeds a nice spring day. I knew that if I kept this up and finally got in touch with my true inner self, I was going to be able to get down to a reasonable weight, or my external self would turn into a sausage.

January 1, 2004 --Mid-Morning

After returning from my half mile long walk around the lake, I built up a ginormous appetite so I made myself a healthy snack in-between breakfast and lunch. I ate one full
bag of pop corn, one tube of tooth paste that was in my way, one sleeve of saltines in a minute (I won a prize since everyone said it can't be done) along with 6 brownies and a bottle of whipped cream. After my mid morning snack I felt a little tired so I went down to take a nap, only to wake up
several hours later, resting atop of the remains of my coffee table. I somehow managed
to fall on top of my coffee table while I was sleeping.

January 1, 2004 -- Lunch Time!

Lunch time has always been my favourite time of day, even when I used to work at McDonald's before I was too heavy to work. I used to take advantage of the lunch
rush by cooking myself an extra basket or two (or a case [848]) of nuggets to snack on during the rest of the afternoon since I knew the managers were too busy to catch me in the act. Today for lunch I was feeling a little naughty (As usual!) and made myself
something that I really shouldn't have had - beans. I made myself a nice big bean
salad with 6 different types of beans in it. Along with the bean salad I made a smoked ham on the George Foreman grill (secret recipe) and about 23 slices of cheese, each about an inch thick. After this, I figured that i would be a good idea to take an entire bottle of Gas-X to save my neighbors the agony of cheese and beans.

January 1, 2004 -- Mid-Afternoon

So far today I've managed to consume about 5500 calories less than I normally would have by this time on a typical day. Needless to say, I'm getting really hungry. I was reading something the other day on the internet that said that sometimes thirst is disguised by hunger. So I decided to drink a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew, and it worked! I don't feel hungry anymore! Though, I must admit, I drank that 2 liter bottle after having a mid afternoon snack of a bag of Doritos, 12 hard boiled eggs, 4 chocolate bars, and 4 biscuits left over from a few days ago.

This is starting to get tough! I'm so hungry I could almost eat my own arm!!!

January 1, 2004 -- Dinner

I so badly want to pull out all the stops and eat like I normally do, but I know that if I want to be able to walk on the beach in the summer of 2024, I have to cut back now! I only have about another 20 years left. Instead of my usual trifecta (McDonald's, Burger King, and KFC) I only went to Subway.
Three times. That spokesman for Subway lost hundreds of pounds by eating just their food. So I figured if he could do it, why can't I?! When I talked to the manager of the Subway, she said that the key to his success depended upon eating properly, and enough physical activities throughout the day to help him burn calories all day long -- not just during the morning or once a week.

I figured that I was headed in the right direction. Up until this day, I never walked anywhere and I used to eat 5500 calories more per day. I'm taking baby steps until I'm all grown up!

January 1, 2004 -- Late Night snack time

On my way back from Subway I stopped at the local supermarket and did a little shopping. I was feeling like something sweet - so I bought three bags of Twizzlers along with some (About 6 cans) Jolt cola. I felt like eating that at about 11:20, right before bed. I don't know why I ate all of that. I feel like total crap now, and I can't sleep. I feel wide awake. Maybe it's the Subway that I ate. It sure feels and sounds like I ate the entire subway!

I'm going to try and get some rest now this way I can go for a nice long walk around the lake again in the morning.

-Pasta La Vista, Baby!

I look forward to reading more about how Vito Whitlach over came his tremendous lust for food and anything you could possibly eat.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Re: The Diary of a 676 Pound Man - December 31, 2003
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »

That's fantastic!
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:31:06 AM »

Just for the record, Vito actually is a real member of the forums here. He requested that I don't disclose his user name if I were to publish his diary entries.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »

I can imagine why.  However, if I were to accomplish such an amazing feat, I wouldn't mind if everyone knew it.  It's the part before the accomplishment that would be a bit embarrassing. 

Whoever you are, I'm proud of you!  I'm looking forward to experiencing two completely different worlds as seen through your eyes.  I've already learned something from what you've written here.  Peeing once a day... I can't imagine that! I pee about 2x per hour!
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »

Frequent urination is a symptom of diabetes.  You better get that checked out.  And Vito, dude, big thumbs up!

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »

I should have probably mentioned that I also drink about a liter of water every hour.  And, my 30 minute bladder was an exaggeration.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:05:53 PM by BizB »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »

The world is just more interesting with you in it, my friend.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

I should have probably mentioned that I also drink about a liter of water every hour.

That is also a symptom of diabetes.  You should get that checked out. 

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »

I know that's a symptom, too.  However, I'm not diabetic for Bob's sake.  I'm in great health as of 5 weeks ago when I had my last physical.  I drink water because I like to stay hydrated, not because I'm thirsty per say. I make a conscious effort to drink a lot of water at work.

When I'm at work, I drink water throughout the day.  Then, when I get home, I don't really drink much of anything.  I used to be a Mt. Dew guy - to the tune of 2 liters per day - and then I switched to water several years ago.  On the weekends, I don't drink nearly as much water. That's because I don't drink so much out of thirst, it's more a habit and something to do with my hands that isn't smoking.

P.S. Don't make me split this thread.  Let's keep it on topic!  This is a great opportunity for all of us (minus one of course) to learn what it's like to struggle to make a life altering decision every single day for many many years.

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »

WOW. i was just thinking i needed to lose weight-- i may have found my motivation! congratulations, whoever you are. how incredible!!

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 09:57:28 AM »

one sleeve of saltines in a minute

Forget about everything else, I need to see this. That's amazing! Guess you probably can't do that anymore though...

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:25:39 AM »

LONG LIVE POUTINE!!!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »

I set Vito up with a Movable Type blog here.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »

Very nice! I look forward to reading the culinary adventures of Vito somebody.

dudmaker

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »

Vito, you are my inspiration. How brave you are, to attempt a feat so great.
And lo, the n00b did apologize and seek forgiveness, and Pepe did bless him and absolve the n00b of all his sins. -- HackerNetworkius 16:10

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »

Vito!  We need an update, d00d.

AppleJax

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

Way to go Vito! You're an inspiration!

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 02:00:04 AM »

Vito!  We need an update, d00d.

Ditto. I check it daily, hoping for another update!

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 03:07:21 AM »

heh. Dito Vitto. Ditto Vito.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 04:24:57 AM »

Tee hee!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »

Hey Vito, check your PM box. I sent you the URL to the Movable Type login script that you forgot to bookmark.