The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:20:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Uncle Roger  (Read 2295 times)

CornNerd

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-2
  • Jack of all trades; Master of none.
    • View Profile
Uncle Roger
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »

I've always wanted to write my own series, and not too long ago I decided to actually start brainstorming something to write about. I decided I wanted to create a sort of superhero. It would be awesome if I could create a web comic, but I'm not artistically talented enough. Anyway, we'll see how this turns out. I have a the basic plot outlined, but I'm making up the details as I go along (sounds fullproof, right?).

Please forgive the wall of text I'm about to build.

Prologue

After hours of screaming, Morgan could finally rest.
“Isn’t she just the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?” she asked while cradling her newborn baby girl.
Pushing her out hadn’t been easy. In fact, the doctors swore they saw the newborn trying to force her way back into the womb. It was as if she was afraid to enter the world — as if she felt unwelcome.
“She is indeed,” came the reply from a short, pale lady. The lady was Lisa, the nurse responsible for watching over the new mother and her child. She was always in good spirits and clearly loved her job. “She has the greenest eyes I’ve ever seen.”
The baby’s eyes were indeed a very deep green. They seemed to pierce whatever target they came to rest upon.
“I know; it’s strange. No one in either my or her father’s families has green eyes. Not in any recent generations, anyway.”
Lisa looked curious. “Do you make a habit of keeping track of everyone’s eye color?”
Morgan thought she sensed a mocking tone in Lisa’s voice. This annoyed her. “In fact, I do.” Morgan noticed these words came out louder than she had intended. She lowered her voice as the baby began to shift. “I’m an optometrist. I handle all of the eye care in my family. I don’t –”
“I’m sorry, mam.” Lisa cut off Morgan mid-rant. She gave the angry mother a forced smile. “I didn’t mean anything by it. I was just curious. You must admit, people don’t commonly keep track of that kind of knowledge.”
Morgan didn’t care. “Yeah, well, keep your curiosity a little quieter, please.”
Morgan wasn’t a very patient or forgiving person. She liked Lisa, but the nurse was getting too friendly too quickly. They had only met last night.
“Sorry, mam. Do you or the baby need anything?” Lisa eased out of the small room as she asked this.
“No, you seem to have somewhere else to be. We’ll be fine.”
The nurse reluctantly reached for the door handle when, suddenly, the door flew open. She hopped out of the way as a distressed-looking young man appeared in the doorway. He was panting and covered in sweat.
The man was dark-skinned, of average height, and fairly well built. He did, however, look somewhat miserable and sleep-deprived. He wore a plain, red baseball cap that made the sight of him all the more confusing.
“Roger?” Morgan asked, looking confusedly at her younger brother. “Is something wrong?”
Roger just stared with wide eyes at the baby in his sister’s arms. Morgan wasn’t sure what to do. “Er…would you like to hold your niece?”
Roger slowly shuffled toward the bed where Morgan lay holding her daughter. Not for one instant did he take his eyes off of the newborn.
Roger gently wrapped his arms around the baby as if she had ‘FRAGILE’ stamped on her forehead.
Morgan smiled at her brother’s caution. “Trust me, you won’t hurt her. If the past eighteen hours are any indication, she’s as tough as nails, just like her mother.”
Roger looked down at his niece and slowly shook his head, as if in disbelief. “Her eyes–”
Morgan interrupted,” Yes, they’re very green. Everyone’s been saying that.”
Roger continued to shake his head. “No,” he said, his voice beginning to quake. “They…” Roger seemed unable to find the right words. “They’re powerful. I can feel them watching me.”
Morgan was getting a bit worried. Roger had acted strangely ever since the recent incident with his wife. Maybe she shouldn’t have been so eager to hand her precious child to him.
“Here, let me hold her. I think she might be getting hungry.” Morgan knew this was a terrible lie. The baby wasn’t even crying. In fact, the newborn had only made a couple of noises since her birth. Maybe Roger wouldn’t notice.
The new uncle looked up at Morgan for a few seconds, then back down at the baby. He just kept starting at her.
“Roger, let me have her.” No response.
“Mr. Andreas, please.” Lisa, who had been watching the strange events unfold from the doorway, stepped toward Roger with her arms outstretched.
Roger took a small step back for each of the short nurse’s bounds toward him.
He turned around and look at the window behind him, then back at the baby.
“Roger…” Morgan whispered, obviously worried. She didn’t know what Roger was thinking, but she was afraid.
After what seemed like an eternity, Roger looked up at Morgan once more.
He didn’t blink.
“Sorry,” he said. He sounded as if he were getting ready to do something he knew would terrify his older sister.
He was.
Roger spun around with absurd speed and ran for the window. Before either Morgan or Lisa could even lift a finger, Roger was crashing through the window, his niece cradled firmly in his arms.
Morgan was frozen in shock. She couldn’t believe what has just happened.
Over the sounds of breaking glass and Lisa’s screaming, she was almost certain she could hear the sound of giggling. The giggling of a newborn baby.
Still shrieking, Lisa ran over to the window, knocking away various object in her path. Morgan watched, still in shock, as the nurse leaned out of the window, stood back up, and slowly turned toward her.
“They’re gone.”
"A question that always drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein