The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 05:54:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129620
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: United geeks assemble to help a lesser geek  (Read 9936 times)

Scuzzy

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
United geeks assemble to help a lesser geek
« on: February 25, 2004, 03:14:42 PM »

Hello I have a question for all you uber-g33ks I recently installed "The ultimate DOOM" (ahh childhood memories) on the larger of my two hard drive (my non-boot HD)  and thought i would make a shortcut to my Desktop so I drag "DOOM.exe" to my destop and it make a whole new DOOM.exe not a shortcut. so I go to delete it " In use by another application", well Only windowsXP is running and XP doesn't rely on a 5 year old outated graphics shooter as we all know. So I go to add remove programs and DOOM is not on there. So I put the DOOM directory that came off the CD into the recycle bin . (it had a DOOM.exe in it) and it goes fine. So I figure well I'll just put the Desktop one in a folder then delete the folder. IT MAKES A NEW DOOM.EXE IN THE FOLDER GAHHH. so (note the on in the folder also gives me the "In use by another program" message) So what can I do I need uber-geek help!

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 03:29:28 PM »

In the folder you installed DOOM in on your data drive, there should be an uninstall file. Run it. Get rid of the offending icon. Reinstall and when you want to put a shortcut on your desktop, right click on the DOOM.exe file and choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

If there isn't an uninstall file, and because it's not in your add/remove program files list, it makes me wonder if 1) you installed it in the first place, or 2) you've got a cracked/corrupt version of DOOM.

Even old DOS-based games should cooperate on some level in WinXP.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 03:52:26 PM »

Never mind. Beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

Hey, that reminds me. Have you tried JDoom? You'll need the original CD but it gives DOOM a complete overhaul.

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 09:03:04 PM »

To what cat wrote It was a backup copy my dad made when he got a CD burner we lost the main disk but the backup has all teh files that were on the original CD. If there namely I just took the setup.exe off the backup and ran it and took the files that it installed. Hmmm My friend has a copy of the game meebee I can borrow it.

Anonymous

Re: United geeks assemble to help a lesser geek
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 09:04:06 AM »

Quote from: Scuzzy
Hello I have a question for all you uber-g33ks I recently installed "The ultimate DOOM" (ahh childhood memories) on the larger of my two hard drive (my non-boot HD)  and thought i would make a shortcut to my Desktop so I drag "DOOM.exe" to my destop and it make a whole new DOOM.exe not a shortcut. so I go to delete it " In use by another application", well Only windowsXP is running and XP doesn't rely on a 5 year old outated graphics shooter as we all know. So I go to add remove programs and DOOM is not on there. So I put the DOOM directory that came off the CD into the recycle bin . (it had a DOOM.exe in it) and it goes fine. So I figure well I'll just put the Desktop one in a folder then delete the folder. IT MAKES A NEW DOOM.EXE IN THE FOLDER GAHHH. so (note the on in the folder also gives me the "In use by another program" message) So what can I do I need uber-geek help!

Watch and learn:

Hello, I attempted to make a shortcut of the doom.exe file to my desktop by dragging it there.

Actually... You lost me from that point.

I don't see how copying a single exe file to a location would create a new folder. That makes no sense. Like your post.

Click here. At least one of these sites has the file you are looking for. Good luck.

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 10:51:25 AM »

Okay Apparently I really didn't make any sense. I'll make this aaas simple as possible

1st: I take the backup (burned) copy of my The ultimate doom and place the setup file from it on my Computer.
2nd: I run the setup and install doom to my 2nd HD
3: I attempt to make a shortcut to my Desktop by dragging DOOM.exe from it's folder to the desktop.
4. When I placed DOOM.exe on my Desktop it makes a NEW doom.exe on my desktop (not a shortcut, not a working doom.exe)
5. No doom is on my add/remove programs List so I drag the doom folder
to the recycle bin...It deletes fine.
6. Now my problem is I can't delete the DOOM.exe on my desktop and I quote "Cannot delete DOOM.exe: acess is denied it is in use by another program".  How can I get rid of the desktop DOOM.exe.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 11:24:04 AM »

Okay Apparently I really didn't make any sense. I'll make this aaas simple as possible

1st: I take the backup (burned) copy of my The ultimate doom and place the setup file from it on my Computer.
2nd: I run the setup and install doom to my 2nd HD
3: I attempt to make a shortcut to my Desktop by dragging DOOM.exe from it's folder to the desktop.
4. When I placed DOOM.exe on my Desktop it makes a NEW doom.exe on my desktop (not a shortcut, not a working doom.exe)
5. No doom is on my add/remove programs List so I drag the doom folder
to the recycle bin...It deletes fine.
6. Now my problem is I can't delete the DOOM.exe on my desktop and I quote "Cannot delete DOOM.exe: acess is denied it is in use by another program".  How can I get rid of the desktop DOOM.exe.

Couple questions for you:

1) Why didn't you just run the setup from the CD?
2) Have you tried playing the game yet? If it doesn't work, something's wrong with your install file.
C) Notice anything?
4) Take the CD out of your drive and try to delete DOOM.exe. Just a hunch.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »

Ah, that's a little more clear.

Try what Cat said. If you still can't, use task manager and look under the process tab. If you see doom.exe running, selected it and click "end process".

Try deleting now.

casarath

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
here
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 12:15:19 PM »

scuzzy was u have to do is take the CD out and delete. Then put it back in and us the file SETUP.EXE in the same folder it will ask you where u want to install and it will be in a MS-DOS format. If u have any problems ill let u borrow the Original CD. BUT u need to ask me!

[g33ks UNITED] g33ks are teh best!
have a happy fraggin day

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 01:23:12 PM »

Well judge uhh No doom thing is running, to cat 1)dunno why I didn't run from CD 2)Tried it, worked fine 3)didn't notice anything and 4)Yeah I tried without the CD. would casarath's idea work if I borrowed his CD?

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:28:01 PM »

Try turning your monitor upside down then degauss it. Then, try to delet the file. That should do it.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 01:40:07 PM »

Wait a minute...if the game's running just fine, what's the problem?

Right-click the .exe file to make a shortcut; don't drag it to the desktop.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 02:17:59 PM »

He's trying to delete the doom.exe file that is on his desktop. When he does so, it says the file is being used by another application. At least, that's what I was able to decipher.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 02:21:34 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
He's trying to delete the doom.exe file that is on his desktop. When he does so, it says the file is being used by another application. At least, that's what I was able to decipher.

Yeah, but he's making it sound like it's some huge problem. If the game works, deal with the extra icon. Or, even better, remap it so it does work.

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 03:30:41 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Try turning your monitor upside down then degauss it. Then, try to delet the file. That should do it.

What would Deguassing it do?

and 1) I want doom completely off my computer and 2) if thats not possible how would I remap it?

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 03:55:47 PM »

What would Deguassing it do?

Try it. The results will be quite obvious.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 04:16:14 PM »

and 1) I want doom completely off my computer and 2) if thats not possible how would I remap it?

Flatten and reinstall everything. It's your only hope. Doom doesn't come with an un-install option, at least not one that I'm aware of. All I had to do to get it off my system was just to delete the DOOM folder. That's all there is to it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 05:09:20 PM »

To xol, I have deleted the DOOM folder its the un-deletable on ma desktop that I want out now and all the screen did when I degaussed it it made a bzzt sound and went wierd then went back to normal. What WAS it supposed to do anyways

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 05:11:07 PM »

That was just to make the screen goes "BRRRRZZZT!" and give you a cool color show. CTRL+ALT+DEL and use task manager to find out if DOOM.EXE is being used. If it is, End Task, if not, reboot and go into safe mode. You should be able to delete it just fine in safe mode.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 05:15:50 PM »

oOoOh a new idea I went into safe mode not too long ago but only ma recycle bin wa on ma desktop i'll try again though thx fo the input

ohh okay tried it and made a discovery It said I had files to be written on a CD and yup...the file is DOOM.EXE i tried to get it off the list but can't get it off "it is in use" so just for the books that is on my list of problems.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 05:29:55 PM »

It won't let you remove the file from your to-be-burned list? Then just burn it and then toss the newly made coaster. If you want a good way to play doom, get yourself an old 486. Or try that JDOOM link I gave you one the first page.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »

Are you sure you don't just have the MyDoom virus, and are mistaking it for the popular Doom game?

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Scuzzy

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 06:52:51 PM »

Ahh Demo you may be right but unlikely seeing as it is burned from an original copy of The ultimate doom, but uhh what is the mydoom virus and WHAT DOES DEGAUSSING DO!!!

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 08:00:11 PM »

uhh what is the mydoom virus

Please tell me you're joking.

casarath

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
idea
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004, 08:01:39 AM »

maybe shut down MS-DOS because thats what Doom is running on. That might do it. If not maybe try it in Safe Mode again. :?:
have a happy fraggin day
Pages: [1] 2 3