The Geek Forum

• May 10, 2024, 08:45:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129623
  • Total Topics: 7186
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unix-based windows?  (Read 10071 times)

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« on: May 25, 2004, 03:30:18 PM »

Hey, I just though of somthing, surely someone cleverer and brighter than me has already though about it, but you know the way it feels : like you got a great idea and you're just convinced it's a great idea till someone actually tells you why it's crap.

So, here is my great idea : What about doing a unix-based windows OS...
I mean, there are some obvious points that windows has (even if it doesn't deserve it), like a whole bunch of softwares (who said Games?  :lol: ) that only work on windows.
So, we could, like, get the windows-looking OS, with all the fonctions of a windows OS, but based on Unix...
Well, many of you may say it's gotta be impossible...ut it's been done for mac OS, keeping the same functions of a given OS and making it based on unix...
Carpe Diem.
GM>GPd?H-sg+(?)p1+!au!aw++v+>!C++U++P+(!P)L+(+)3E(-)N+K+W(W---)M+Vpo--Y+t++!5jR+++G+tv-b+++D+B?eu++h!f+r+!ny?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 03:31:22 PM »

http://www.freebsd.org/

:roll:

Not to mention, there's this new thing called Linux that is very Unix-like.

Plus, with Linux there are KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, Windowmaker, and many other GUIs that work with that Linux thing to let users do things graphically.

Seriously.  It's really cool.  

Just take a look at this, for example.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »

Well, I guess I'm out... :?

But still, I looked at the web page, freeBSD just looks like another UNIX OS, and I didn't find the relation between windows and it  :oops:
Carpe Diem.
GM>GPd?H-sg+(?)p1+!au!aw++v+>!C++U++P+(!P)L+(+)3E(-)N+K+W(W---)M+Vpo--Y+t++!5jR+++G+tv-b+++D+B?eu++h!f+r+!ny?

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

Knoppix, anyone?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:48:34 PM »

Quote from: Epicure
Well, I guess I'm out... :?

But still, I looked at the web page, freeBSD just looks like another UNIX OS,

... and?

and I didn't find the relation between windows and it  :oops:

And you never will.  It's not Windows.  It's Unix.

See... Windows is made by a company called Microsoft.  They create buggy, bloated, proprietary software that they charge people exorbitant amounts of money to use, with awful to non-existent support, and they offer users pretty much no real choices in the matter.

FreeBSD is an open source Unix-OS that's free.  Free to download, free to modify, free to use however you wish.

And from what I've been told, it's about the best Unix flavor out there.  What more could you want?

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 03:52:35 PM »

Besides, why would you want your OS to look like Windows? It's ugly and bloated.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:54:43 PM »

Quote from: catwritr
Besides, why would you want your OS to look like Windows? It's ugly and bloated.

If a person really wanted to, one could make KDE look a lot like Windows.

Not to mention, there's always XPde.

*shrugs*

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:56:29 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes

See... Windows is made by a company called Microsoft.  They create buggy, bloated, proprietary software that they charge people exorbitant amounts of money to use, with awful to non-existent support, and they offer users pretty much no real choices in the matter.

FreeBSD is an open source Unix-OS that's free.  Free to download, free to modify, free to use however you wish.

And from what I've been told, it's about the best Unix flavor out there.  What more could you want?

Well, I know about Micro$oft, and windows in general, and am myself a user of a quite satisfactoring edition of mandrake.
But I though, as unfortunately 95% of the computers on this planet run on that OS called windows, then maybe we'd be able to use the same OS...Exept that I can't stand that

buggy, bloated, proprietary software

Now, what more could I want...well just to run any software that's been created so far, on any OS that it may be. For example, no fucking way to play Battlefield 1942 on any other OS than windows. And I love this game. It would also be cool to choose any interface you like (even windows, not my falt if some people have crappy tastes...what? me first?  :lol: )

In fact, not asking a graphic-unix-based-OS but really a unix-based windows, that work just like windows for the user, exept that it runs on unix...With all the reliability and safety of unix...
Carpe Diem.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 04:00:18 PM »

Well, I know about Micro$oft, and windows in general, and am myself a user of a quite satisfactoring edition of mandrake.
But I though, as unfortunately 95% of the computers on this planet run on that OS called windows, then maybe we'd be able to use the same OS...Exept that I can't stand that

buggy, bloated, proprietary software

Now, what more could I want...well just to run any software that's been created so far, on any OS that it may be. For example, no fucking way to play Battlefield 1942 on any other OS than windows. And I love this game. It would also be cool to choose any interface you like (even windows, not my falt if some people have crappy tastes...what? me first?  :lol: )

In fact, not asking a graphic-unix-based-OS but really a unix-based windows, that work just like windows for the user, exept that it runs on unix...With all the reliability and safety of unix...

What you are asking for does not exist, and probably never will.  Running old Windows apps on ANY kind of non-Windows OS requires some sort of additional applications or emulators.

But if you're already a Mandrake Linux user (which version, btw?), you must already be at least somewhat acquainted with WINE then.

It doesn't work for every single thing out there, but a lot of people have managed quite nicely with it... not to mention, a lot of improvements have been made over the last couple of versions.

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 04:06:18 PM »

i'm using mandrakelinux 9.1

About wine : it is indeed useful, but it can't be used 24/7, now can it? it's just a simulator...

So, to answer my question ; the only reason it hasn't be created yet is that nobody actually felt like needing it, isn't it?
Carpe Diem.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 04:17:24 PM »

i'm using mandrakelinux 9.1

About wine : it is indeed useful, but it can't be used 24/7, now can it? it's just a simulator...

So, to answer my question ; the only reason it hasn't be created yet is that nobody actually felt like needing it, isn't it?

Hardly.  There's PLENTY of need for it.  The reason it hasn't been created yet is because it's not possible the way you're describing it.

You either run Windows, or you do not.

At BEST you can run Windows apps under other operating systems with the help of an emulator.

But that's it.  If it's unix-based, an operating system cannot run software intended for a non-unix OS without an emulator of some kind.

Quick question... I'm assuming you're at least moderately tech savvy if you were able to set up Mandrake on your own.  What is your knowledge level?  Do you know any programming?  Do you know anything about software, how it works, or operating systems on anything other than a point-and-click level?

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 04:20:02 PM »

Well, I guess you're right. But ain't it possible to make a unix-based system, which would be nothing but a gigantic emulator of windows?

okay, i'm making the whole lot worse. never mind  :(   :stupid:
Carpe Diem.

gorgeous_si

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +11/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gorgeous-si.co.uk
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 04:21:52 PM »

The problem is that UNIX provides different system calls to Windows - they're completely different operating environments. The only way to get Windows apps to run on UNIX (without just recoding it) is to interpret it - to have a system which catches the calls, and translates them into something UNIX would understand.

Now, this is no simple task. Which is why WINE is not perfect!

Now, Transmeta's code morphing technology can very efficiently translate commands just above the processor level, but this isn't quite what you're talking about.

To efficiently run a 'Windows on UNIX' system, a hardware fix like this would be the best method ... but I'll let someone else actually design it, it's a bit beyond me!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 04:23:11 PM »

Well, I guess you're right. But ain't it possible to make a unix-based system, which would be nothing but a gigantic emulator of windows?

okay, i'm making the whole lot worse. never mind  :(   :stupid:

Not at all... I know what you mean.

Well, that's basically what WINE does.

It's possible to make WINE seem a bit more native... I guess that's what Lycoris and Lindows-I-mean-Linspire ( :roll: ) have done, from what I've read.

But it's still basically running an emulator.  There's no getting away from that.

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 04:25:18 PM »

damnit.
Never mind...

Quote from: Me

like you got a great idea and you're just convinced it's a great idea till someone actually tells you why it's crap.

What did I say?  :lol:  :roll:
Carpe Diem.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 04:30:31 PM »

Don't beat yourself up too much... how else are you going to learn anything?

Why don't you make an introductory post in the newbie forum here and tell us a bit about yourself.  I think you'll probably fit in here.  :)

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 04:33:04 PM »

Sir, yes sir  :lol:

*just a tiny bit lazy, but will do it anyway*
Carpe Diem.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 04:35:49 PM »

Sir, yes sir  :lol:

Don't call me sir... I'm not in charge here.  I gave that sort of stuff up a while ago.  :shock:

*just a tiny bit lazy, but will do it anyway*

Call it a bit of courtesy.  You'll find a better reaction from regulars here if you introduce yourself.  It's kind of like showing up at a party that is filled with people you don't know... it's better to say "Hi, I'm so-and-so and I'm here because <whatever> and I'm interested in <whatever>" than to just walk in and start talking to people without a how-do-you-do.

:)

Epicure

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 04:59:38 PM »

Don't call me sir... I'm not in charge here.  I gave that sort of stuff up a while ago.  :shock:

It's what i'm used to call irony.

Call it a bit of courtesy.  You'll find a better reaction from regulars here if you introduce yourself.  It's kind of like showing up at a party that is filled with people you don't know... it's better to say "Hi, I'm so-and-so and I'm here because <whatever> and I'm interested in <whatever>" than to just walk in and start talking to people without a how-do-you-do.

:)

I see what you mean...well, i'm just myself a regular in a couple other forums...and I never read the introducing forum, so i personnally don't care. In a party neither, if that person's got something interestin to say. Well, exept if it's my birthday party, in which case I may be annoyed.

But anyway, I see your point. so here it is done. ^^
Carpe Diem.

wranga

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://wranga.topcities.com/
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »

KDE>GNOME>=EXPLORER

Thats the law of the universe. And don't you forget it.Biyatches.
My signature was deleted as everyone requested...

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2004, 08:23:31 PM »

Quote from: wranga
KDE>GNOME>=EXPLORER

Thats the law of the universe. And don't you forget it.Biyatches.

That makes little to no sense, but thanks for the attempt.
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

wranga

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

np

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 08:26:09 AM »

I'm fine, how are you?

wranga

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Unix-based windows?
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 11:35:04 PM »

I've been better, my brother found out about survival project and he won't get off my computer! bah!

segFault

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Unix-based windows?
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 10:32:22 PM »

Hey, I just though of somthing, surely someone cleverer and brighter than me has already though about it, but you know the way it feels : like you got a great idea and you're just convinced it's a great idea till someone actually tells you why it's crap.

<segFault snippeth here>.

Not possible. Billy Gates will never give up his bastard child (ie, release Windows open source). Linux and Windows kernels are entirely different, and to run Windows programs on Linux you would need an emulator or some type of compatibility layer.

Applications, if stuck to a standard of code (not relying on a particular OS function), can be easily ported to platforms where a compiler exists. QT is an example of cross platform development where your applications can be brought to Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.

What I can see is an window manager that is a clone of the Windows GUI environment - though I would imagine The Legion of Doom (aka Microsoft Lawyers) would stop this pretty quickly.

Good news is many alternatives are being created to replace MS applications as well as many games being ported to Linux natively. SDL is an example of an open source alternative to DirectX. (zSnes for Windows uses DirectX, while zSnes for Linux uses SDL).
//Segmentation Fault
Pages: [1] 2