The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 09:41:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129554
  • Total Topics: 7151
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Some programs hang... But why?  (Read 1308 times)

Devil_Angel

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Some programs hang... But why?
« on: May 18, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »

Well, I've just bought a new pc for me, since my last one burned  :? ...
It's a normal P4 775 3.0Ghz, 512mb, pcix card, Sata Hd, MSI board 915 board.

I just installed windows XP as usual, only big change is that I'm using SP2, and I was trying the built in firewall. I'm also using the typical Norton Anti-virus 2005 .

Till now all ok, but I'm gatting many problems. Programs like emule, and even Microsoft Oficce just hang for no aparent reason. They just stop, and the rest of the system stays operational. No obnormal resources comsumption. And I don't make a clue why!!!!

I've checked for Bios configuration, all kind of hardware conflicts in IRQ, I've checked for virus and ad-aware. I've made a startup disk to check the memory for flaws, and everything came out negative....

I think it's not the network, since all work fine and Office does not seem to even access it when it hangs. But either way I'm on a Cable 640k in an Elsa modem in Ethernet pci connector.
I'm getting out of solutions here, and the error seems to be random, no rules in when/how to appear, it ussually doesn't take too long.  Any sugestions guys???

Thanks in advance! It's probably something simple I'm passing by....

Miguel Pereira, Portugal.
Future pharmacyst! :D I hope...

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Some programs hang... But why?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 11:59:52 PM »

If you haven't got too much on it, wipe it out and install XP again from scratch. Disable the built-in firewall. Run windows update and download all patches. Reboot. Install Office, update that as well. Reboot. Next, install Norton, run Live Update. Scan system fully. Reboot. Next, and most important step of all....DON'T INSTALL P2P SOFTWARE AT ALL! You're just asking for your system to be hosed by using WinMX, KaZaa, E-donkey, etc. Trust me. It's easier for you in the long run to just rent the damn movies and buy the damn music.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-