The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 09:28:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: big ass problem  (Read 8469 times)

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deafening-urge.net
big ass problem
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2002, 05:05:06 PM »

friggin moron...

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2002, 05:07:00 PM »

thank you

and the fsb is 266

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
big ass problem
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2002, 05:07:18 PM »

Since we're on Computers at the mo I would really apriciate help on this :-

When my P.C boots up an error message appears saying "CPU has been changed or is corrupt see Core settings" and when entered the settings are set to a AMD 1500+ processor at 133mhz - mine is a 2100 - but when i try and change it the cpu crashes and doesn't boot up properly afterwards. The only way to get it up and running again is to reset the CMOS which brings back the CPU problem. I'm also usure of whether I need the system disk in when editing the BIOs as I have changed the boot settings without but have read that you need it in when changing it.

Netrack. If you are still experiancing problems try posting on http://computing.net/. I have just finshed building my P.C and found these forums extremely usefull. People have always replied and all of the comments have resulted in me sorting out my problems. Failing that take it to a Pro and get them to sort it out.

Thanks

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2002, 10:18:31 PM »

Netrack: I've built 15+ athlon xp systems by hand, and I've often had CPU problems with them. If you don't set the heatsink in right when you  clip it down, it can damage the cpu itself. I've had ones that I thought were perfect and ended up fucked, and I've had ones that I tore the fuck up with a screwdriver and they worked fine. It took a coupla systems to figure that one out. They can be picky little shits sometimes. Just a thought.

Since when were mobo jumpers little white switches? I haven't really been keepin up on the newest stuff, but I'm pretty sure the CMOS resets are still jumper contacts, and will be for the foreseeable future, though this is complete conjecture on my part.

I do like the new Softbios setups, anything to cut down on the number of those little bastards. Jumpers fuckin suck.

SeK612: I've had the exact same problem numerous times, and it was consistently a core temp problem. The BIOS would roll back the core settings and then crash. Usually pullin the heatsink off and reapplying goo worked for me. Be careful not to put too much on though. Just a little dab'll do ya. And be careful when putting the heat sink back on, see above.

Hope this helps guys.
your ad here.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2002, 11:08:02 PM »

im taking my computer down to procter and gamble... thats were my brother works, and im gonna have the guy who runs there server and network take a look at it...

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
big ass problem
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2002, 03:19:45 AM »

Usually pullin the heatsink off and reapplying goo worked for me. Be careful not to put too much on though.

Hmmm. I hope I don't have to. The heat sink was one of the things I had most problems with. In the end I had to unscrew the fan off the top of it, attach it to the mobo and then screw the fan back on. As for the silver compund stuff I have lots of it but didn't apply any in installation as I was unsure about quantities. The Processor gets very hot but it seems - I hope - to be o.k.

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2002, 05:21:45 PM »

be sure you only put the thermal grease on the core...

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2002, 05:40:22 PM »

As for the silver compund stuff I have lots of it but didn't apply any in installation as I was unsure about quantities.

I would bet money that's the problem man. When I do it, I fold a paper towel in half and then half again (making as hard a crease as you can), put about 3/4 the size of a pea worth of the compound on the corner of the paper towel, and slowly work it over the core on the CPU, making sure to get it even, including the corners. Then you carefully put the heatsink back on, (see above again) and put the fan and everything back on. Too much and it'll squirt all over the CPU when you put the heatsink down, so less is more, just make sure to cover it. Be careful with the screwdriver, that's the part that really sucks. I know it's a bummer, but take the whole damn mobo out if you have to, don't go skimpy and screw it up (trust me on this).

The old girl's had it.
your ad here.

x222943

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2002, 02:07:34 PM »

incorrectly seated heatsink, inufficent cooling, or, moron infront of the system.

my conclusion, all of the above.

Netrack

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
big ass problem
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2002, 05:55:37 PM »

PROBLEM SOLVED

BIOS was bad..

i dont know how it happend, but that was the problem, took my board back to the place i bought it, they repleaced both BIOS chips and it worked fine
Pages: 1 [2]