The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 10:11:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 153
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Retro/Frugal Geekery  (Read 1332 times)

doomtroll

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Retro/Frugal Geekery
« on: August 13, 2005, 10:18:59 PM »

I seem to be one of the very few I know who enjoys retro hardware or just being a frugal geek..

whether it be finding 8+ yr old hardware that kicked serius A$$ for its time or pushing older hardware as hard as I can..

Am I alone???
Registered Linux User# 396822

inverticle

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Retro/Frugal Geekery
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 06:20:56 AM »

I used to be do that a lot.  My customers would give me their old systems after I upgraded them and I would fix them up and see would they could do.  Then I started Ebaying them.  Now, unless they are somewhat new, I don't even take them.  I just don't have the time anymore.  But I did love being able to take an old P2 450 with 128mb ram and make it run nice and smooth with a 'light' OS running on it.  I found it would often feel faster (at least more efficient) than my custmers 1 year old P42.6.  It's amazing how we keeping buying faster hardware so we can run more bloated os's and do it less efficiently.  It's like we move forward with technolgy and backwards with common sense.

doomtroll

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
Retro/Frugal Geekery
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 10:19:30 AM »

Quote from: inverticle
I used to be do that a lot.  My customers would give me their old systems after I upgraded them and I would fix them up and see would they could do.  Then I started Ebaying them.  Now, unless they are somewhat new, I don't even take them.  I just don't have the time anymore.  But I did love being able to take an old P2 450 with 128mb ram and make it run nice and smooth with a 'light' OS running on it.  I found it would often feel faster (at least more efficient) than my custmers 1 year old P42.6.  It's amazing how we keeping buying faster hardware so we can run more bloated os's and do it less efficiently.  It's like we move forward with technolgy and backwards with common sense.

I think thats half the reason I keep the old Hardware...

I don't run the newest Software for windows..& IF I do its able to run on older hardware...other then that I trow Linux/Unix on about anything that will run it.

case in point I just scored an older Video card for one of my Linux Machines that for its time was THE graphics card A
http://www.baber.com/baber/graphics/agp/diamond_fire_gl1000pro.htm

Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro 8mb AGP card on Ebay for $0.99

that & older laptops :D
Registered Linux User# 396822