The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:55:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: New Video Card (But Confused)  (Read 1318 times)

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
New Video Card (But Confused)
« on: August 27, 2005, 08:50:59 PM »

A good friend of mine is getting a new video card, but he can't decide between the ATI Radeon X800XL and the ASUS Radeon X850PRO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121534

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102543

Here is the conflict:

The X850PRO has a higher core/memory speed, and a pixel pipe of 12, while the X800XL has a lower core/memory speed, but a higher pixel pipeline of 16.

Everything else is the same.

He asked me which I should buy, but I don't know enough about hardware to really say which is better.

The price difference is only 10 dollars.

Sorry about bugging you guys, but I don't want to make a mistake.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

inverticle

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
New Video Card (But Confused)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 06:24:22 AM »

This is one of those situations where either one would do the job fine and you won't see a big difference which ever one you chose.  But here is my take:
The XL has the 16 pipes which comes in handy in some of the newer games.  But you will doubtfully be able to come within 100mhz (with overclocking) of the Pro because the XL doesn't overclock well (atleast the one I had didn't).  And I have found that a lot of the games out their can be very CPU intensive and seem to benefit more with a higher core clock.  So in this case the Pro is the better way to go.  So what it really comes down to is "What games will he be playing with it?"  If he is playing UT2004, for example, he'd be better off with the Pro.  That game does'nt need more than 12 pipes to play flawlessly but really benefits from higher core speeds.  But if he's playing Half Life 2 the extra pipes will probobly do more than the extra core speed.  Another thing to consider is at what resolution is he playing his games.  If it is 1280x1024 or lower, 12 pipes is all he needs and the extra core speed will be the greater asset.  But resolutions higher than that and those extra pipelines will really come in handy.
I hope this helps, Eric.