The Geek Forum

• May 21, 2024, 03:39:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129654
  • Total Topics: 7200
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Opening a Can of Worms  (Read 32105 times)

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 05:33:50 PM »

Ivan, my problem with overturning RvW is that the constitution and federal government are supposed to uphold individual rights not to take away liberty based on majority rule.  The majority in these flyover states also believe in things like prayer in schools (as long as it's christian), teaching creationism, forbiding certain sexual practices between consenting adults, etc.

Just because a majority of people in these states think abortion is wrong, shouldn't be grounds for them to impose their will on others' individual freedoms.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 05:52:08 PM »

State governments do not have the constitutional authority to govern such things.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »

Yes, Pb, abortion is a right only because a majority of Supreme Court justices voted that way in 1973. What the majority of Americans believed was not relevant. What was relevant was timing, and it's looking like now the timing is right for the oposing view to prevail on the Supreme Court.

That's why I ask the question: how will our lives change if... when abortion is no longer a 14th amendment right, but a state-controlled and possibly illegal procedure?

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 06:08:15 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
State governments do not have the constitutional authority to govern such things.

But they do anyway. They did before Roe v Wade, and they will after. I live in a state that finds it ok to execute people, and not ok for any two single adults to be married.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 06:25:04 PM »

I'm taking a class called "Moral and Social Problems".

Considering I live in Massachusetts, and the general liberal-ness of the school, I would have thought that the class would be in favour of abortion.

Turns out my misconceptions were wrong, and it seems everyone hates abortion unless it is used by someone who was raped because the fetus counts as a person.

I feel bad everytime I hear the discussions in the class and whenever I try to say otherwise, they basically look at me like I want to kill babies.

Edit: Also possible, though doubtful considering the number of people who spoke up against abortion, that those "Pro-Life" (A bullshit term) supporters are simply louder than those "Pro-Choice".
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2006, 06:31:58 PM »

Quote from: Crystalmonkey

Considering I live in Massachusetts, and the general liberal-ness of the school, I would have thought that the class would be in favour of abortion.

Turns out my misconceptions were wrong, and it seems everyone hates abortion unless it is used by someone who was raped because the fetus counts as a person.

I feel bad everytime I hear the discussions in the class and whenever I try to say otherwise, they basically look at me like I want to kill babies.

Edit: Also possible, though doubtful considering the number of people who spoke up against abortion, that those "Pro-Life" (A bullshit term) supporters are simply louder than those "Pro-Choice".

Well, I'm having trouble understanding your attitude towards abortion. How can anyone not hate abortion? At very best it can be a neccessary evil, but I can't imagine anyone not hating to have one done. No matter how you parse it, you are destroying a life. That's why it's called "abortion".

What's at issue is not whether abortion in itself is a good thing, but whether making it illegal is a violation of the Constitutional rights of the mother.

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2006, 06:40:15 PM »

...my misconceptions were wrong...

I'm still turning that phrase over in my head.

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2006, 06:45:08 PM »

What's more fun than putting a baby through a meat grinder?

Answer - Nothing!

Disclaimer: The above comment is meant for humor only, use with caution.

All else considered, I think the current debate shows much merit and I am in agreement with most previous posts. Perhaps I will add something of more substance to this debate later.
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like they're women, man!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 07:19:36 PM »

Quote from: ivan

Well, I'm having trouble understanding your attitude towards abortion. How can anyone not hate abortion? At very best it can be a neccessary evil, but I can't imagine anyone not hating to have one done. No matter how you parse it, you are destroying a life. That's why it's called "abortion".

What's at issue is not whether abortion in itself is a good thing, but whether making it illegal is a violation of the Constitutional rights of the mother.

I don't have any problem with abortion.  You say it takes a life.  Anyone who eats either directly or indirectly takes a life.  Being unencumbered by dogma, I see no intrinsic value of a human life over a non-human life.  Also remember infanticide used to be practiced and duels used to be socially acceptable.  Why should an embryo or fetus have special rights?  Isn't forcing a woman to carry a child to term synonymous with slavery?  Isn't it better for a being to be brought into the world when those responsible for said being are ready to care for said being?  

And what about adoption?  These same people claiming sanctity of human life and abortion is murder, have done nothing to promote adoption.  Most states have laws in place discouraging adoption.  And don't get me started on the foster care system.  There are more people seeking to adopt than can, but eliminating abortion won't do anything to help those seeking to adopt.  It would merely force more people into poverty, while allowing that majority feel good about themselves for "saving a life" while they continue killing others abroad and at home in much less humane ways (state sponsored executions, wars, inadequate health care, famine).  Perhaps being terminated before sentience is favorable than reaching sentience and living in squalor?

Just some food for thought.

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »

...The appellee and certain amici argue that the fetus is a "person" within the language and meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. In support of this, they outline at length and in detail the well-known facts of fetal development. If this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant's case, of course, collapses, for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the Amendment. The appellant conceded as much on reargument.  On the other hand, the appellee conceded on reargument that no case could be cited that holds that a fetus is a person within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

...All this, together with our observation, supra, that throughout the major portion of the 19th century prevailing legal abortion practices were far freer than they are today, persuades us that the word "person," as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn.

The way I understand it, this is what it hinges on: If a fetus is a person, abortion is murder. For abortion to be legal, an unborn child cannot be considered, legally, a person.

1. A state criminal abortion statute of the current Texas type, that excepts from criminality only a lifesaving procedure on behalf of the mother, without regard to pregnancy stage and without recognition of the other interests involved, is violative of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

(a) For the stage prior to approximately the end of the first trimester, the abortion decision and its effectuation must be left to the medical judgment of the pregnant woman's attending physician.

(b) For the stage subsequent to approximately the end of the first trimester, the State, in promoting its interest in the health of the mother, may, if it chooses, regulate the abortion procedure in ways that are reasonably related to maternal health.

(c) For the stage subsequent to viability, the State in promoting its interest in the potentiality of human life may, if it chooses, regulate, and even proscribe, abortion except where it is necessary, in appropriate medical judgment, for the preservation of the life or health of the mother.

2. The State may define the term "physician," as it has been employed in the preceding paragraphs of this Part XI of this opinion, to mean only a physician currently licensed by the State, and may proscribe any abortion by a person who is not a physician as so defined.

The third trimester has always been up for grabs.

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006, 07:37:30 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
These same people claiming sanctity of human life and abortion is murder, have done nothing to promote adoption...

I'm not disputing the hypocracy -- and worse -- rife within the anti-abortion wing. But I'm looking at it dispassionately from my own private point of view. I think that the reality is that Roe v Wade may get overturned within our lifetime, and there is very little anyone can do about it. At the same time, I doubt abortion will ever be unilaterally banned.

Historically, as you and Mr. Blackmun point out, abortion was not considered an evil, and the laws governing abortion reflected that attitude. But what happens when enough people decide it IS an evil? Eventually, those views will be encoded in law. In 1973, 7 of 9 justices accepted the argument that personhood does not extend to the unborn. That seems like a very thin line of defense.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2006, 07:47:18 PM »

I favour retroactive abortions.  Starting with Pat Robertson, et al.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 07:49:33 PM »

And I think that it also hinged on the fact that a fetus wouldn't be able to survive up to a certain point without the mother.

Oh, I said that phrase on purpose Ivan.

No matter what I say, I don't think I could convince the people in my class that a fetus isn't a human. They don't care what I have to say it seems.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »

I'm not disputing the hypocracy -- and worse -- rife within the anti-abortion wing. But I'm looking at it dispassionately from my own private point of view. I think that the reality is that Roe v Wade may get overturned within our lifetime, and there is very little anyone can do about it. At the same time, I doubt abortion will ever be unilaterally banned.

Historically, as you and Mr. Blackmun point out, abortion was not considered an evil, and the laws governing abortion reflected that attitude. But what happens when enough people decide it IS an evil? Eventually, those views will be encoded in law. In 1973, 7 of 9 justices accepted the argument that personhood does not extend to the unborn. That seems like a very thin line of defense.

Children under the age of 18 don't even have full rights as humans under most laws.  So basically we're going to end up with various classes of citizens.  George W Bush with infinite rights, christians with rights to impose their will upon others, non-fundie christian adults with just a few more rights than children, children who have almost no rights, and potential humans with more rights than the previous two classes.

I know what you're saying Ivan and we may very well see it reversed.  I just hope that California north of the Orange curtain will secede from the US.  Of course we'll draw our boundary to include "The Canyon"; it'll just be one of the non-contiguous states/provinces/whatever we decide to call our subunits.

As for how it will change my life--how does that saying go?  First they came for the Jews and I did nothing.  Then they came for the homosexuals and I did nothing.  When they came for me, there was no one left to intervene.  Or something like that.  You get the picture.  I may not be directly affected by such a decision, but with the power grab that would inevitably follow, I may very well be affected.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »

These same people claiming sanctity of human life and abortion is murder, have done nothing to promote adoption.  

For some real fun, I've always wanted to ask them if they had to choose between an abortion or giving the child up to a gay couple for adoption, which would they do?

Head 'aslode in 3...2...
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 08:01:23 PM »

And I think that it also hinged on the fact that a fetus wouldn't be able to survive up to a certain point without the mother.

Oh, I said that phrase on purpose Ivan.

No matter what I say, I don't think I could convince the people in my class that a fetus isn't a human. They don't care what I have to say it seems.

Hell, leave a neonate in the woods and it's chances of survival are almost nil.  The much more adept animals would eat it or it would eventually starve.  This bullshit about viability becomes distorted when technology is involved.

In the episode "Spock's Brain"  they were able to keep his body alive on life support.  But it wasn't Spock, until Bones put on the magic helmet and replaced the brane.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2006, 08:14:22 PM »

We're reading a couple of different authors on the subject (4 actually, but who's counting) and the opinions vary of course, but they range from a fetus being a person with full human rights to a real person having more rights than a "potential person." (One of the authors is a Pope, which makes me wonder how seperated people are from religion in my class)

I've basically come to see everyone in the class as seeing human life worth more than anything else, and the fetus as having more rights than the mother in some cases (It has a right to life that shouldn't be violated by the mother.)

I'm frustrated more with the fact that nobody will even CONSIDER what I am saying, but at least you guys will.

Edit: One of the authors mentions "just reasons for abortion." I forget who it was.

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2006, 11:46:30 AM »

Crystalmonkey, let me clarify a point: The key argument in Roe v Wade is that an unborn human is not a person in a legal sense; it has no rights; it is not protected by the Constitution. That is a legal distinction, but not a moral or even logical argument. Many people -- probably even most people -- believe that personhood begins some time before the fetus is born. The notion that it's ok to kill a fetus five minutes before birth, but not ok to kill it five minutes after birth, is absurd on the face of it.

As PbS noted, technology muddles the viability argument. It won't be long before children are conceived and grown in a lab. At what point, then, does that fetus become a person?

GenStyx

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2006, 12:51:28 PM »

As PbS noted, technology muddles the viability argument. It won't be long before children are conceived and grown in a lab. At what point, then, does that fetus become a person?

I was the first successful invetro-fertilized baby born at my hospital in Michigan.
My mom's tubes were pinched and it was the only way for me to be conceived and born. Pre-birth I spent time in an incubator and this was 21 years ago...nor was I the first in the United States.
These times are already upon us Ivan.

I agree that a legal distinction should be made, but I think it is near impossible to "determine" when life begins. I feel as though I am a continuation of life in this physical world. I recognize my "birthday" as when I exited my mom's vagina right out those labia doors, but I know life was there before this occurred.
Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like they're women, man!

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2006, 01:30:07 PM »

Quote from: GenStyx

I was the first successful invetro-fertilized baby born at my hospital in Michigan.
My mom's tubes were pinched and it was the only way for me to be conceived and born. Pre-birth I spent time in an incubator and this was 21 years ago...nor was I the first in the United States.
These times are already upon us Ivan.

I agree that a legal distinction should be made, but I think it is near impossible to "determine" when life begins. I feel as though I am a continuation of life in this physical world. I recognize my "birthday" as when I exited my mom's vagina right out those labia doors, but I know life was there before this occurred.

Ok, now take it another step forward: no mother. A child is conceived and grown in a lab, and is never part of another human's body. It lives in a tank until it can breathe and eat on its own. Does the current legal definition of personhood still hold? Or is this organism a person when it is capable of feeling pain? Volition as expressed by muscle movement? Ethisists have a lot to sort out in the next century.

But here is the deal: Roe v Wade denies States the ability to protect the life of a fetus for the first 6 months of its existance; States have the ability to ban 3rd trimester abortions. This is morally consistent with a LOT of historical human thought and legislature. Read Blackmun's opinion -- it covers a lot of ground, from the ancient Greeks onward. He even tackles the Hypocratic Oath. One thing that Blackmun points out is that the notion that a fetus is a person from conception is a relatively recent one, a notion that began gaining widespread acceptance only in the 19th century. It's a modern idea that is still continuing to catch on. Roe v Wade served as a correction -- bringing abortion laws more in line with historical attitudes and the Constitution. But this happened at a time when 7 of 9 superior court justices thought it reasonable to assume that unborn children are not protected by the Constitution, and that personhood in general does not begin until some time in the 2nd trimester. I doubt 7 of 9 of our current justices would agree. And what they decide is the law.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2006, 01:44:56 PM »

And Alito has been confirmed but it was pretty much 6-3 before the last two joined, so Roe v Wade should still have at least 5-4 advantage unless Kennedy changes his spots.

True it may be overturned in our lifetime, but I will dissent with that opinion and hopefully if that happens my dissent will not be illegal.

reimero

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +112/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.omgjonx.com
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2006, 02:20:03 PM »

You can take it to the bank that Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito will vote to overturn.  Kennedy may or may not, but he WILL back restrictions, leading me to believe he might support an outright overturning.

As for Demosthenes' stance that the states shouldn't have the authority to make that call, I submit that it's the federal government who should not have that authority.  The States are the ones who have traditionally regulated domestic and family-related matters, and it seems to me this applies.
"This f*cker is in wisconsin, reimero is from awesomeland." - Bobert

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2006, 02:34:29 PM »

Of course we'll draw our boundary to include "The Canyon"; it'll just be one of the non-contiguous states/provinces/whatever we decide to call our subunits.

Ha-ha! I just saw this... It'll be like living in Alaska, but warmer. You can keep your political prisoners here!

ivan

Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2006, 02:58:51 PM »

Quote from: reimero

As for Demosthenes' stance that the states shouldn't have the authority to make that call, I submit that it's the federal government who should not have that authority.  The States are the ones who have traditionally regulated domestic and family-related matters, and it seems to me this applies.

That's exactly what Roe v Wade does: it denies States full authority in the matter of abortion. From Justice White's dissent:

In a sensitive area such as this, involving as it does issues over which reasonable men may easily and heatedly differ, I cannot accept the Court's exercise of its clear power of choice by interposing a constitutional barrier to state efforts to protect human life and by investing mothers and doctors with the constitutionally protected right to exterminate it. This issue, for the most part, should be left with the people and to the political processes the people have devised to govern their affairs.

Remember, Roe v Wade does not make abortion legal. It bars States from restricting abortions in the first trimester, based on the mother's constitutional right to privacy, and on the opinion that unborn humans are not protected by the Constitution.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
Opening a Can of Worms
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »

Of course we'll draw our boundary to include "The Canyon"; it'll just be one of the non-contiguous states/provinces/whatever we decide to call our subunits.

Ha-ha! I just saw this... It'll be like living in Alaska, but warmer. You can keep your political prisoners here!

:lol:  Gitmo Canyon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6