The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 01:17:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 121
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: And the season ended with a ... grrrrrr  (Read 4689 times)

BlackWidow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +29/-0
    • View Profile
And the season ended with a ... grrrrrr
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:33:25 PM »

League hockey is over for me for another year and I'm heading into the summer all pissy.  Our league games actually finished at the end of March but our annual tournament is typically held at the end of April and is more of the end of the season ... last time to see most of the girls until next October.  The tournament is great.  We usually get slaughtered but its fun and playing against better players makes us work harder and play better (and its a better workout).

This morning we had our final game.  We knew it was going to be tough because we only had two spares and the other team had 3 full lines (for any non hockey people our 7 skaters to their 15).  The team was from our own league so we knew what to expect ... they moved up to a division above ours this year and were pretty good but normally a fun team to play.

Little did we know what we were in for ... you've gotta love it when the other team gets called for slashing and interference AT THE SAME FREAKIN' TIME.  Sad thing was we couldn't get the damn puck out of our end while they were short because they put all the ringers in.  So we're pissed that they're rougher and chippier than we're used to but whatever ... let's play.

But then NOTHING else was called the rest of the flippin' game.  The ref's totally ignored at least 5 calls that should have been penalties.

1.  I'm beside one of their girls near their blue line ... I'm trying to get to the point but she's got my stick pinned so hard I can't get away ... and I'm standing in front of the freakin' ref.  I even looked at her ... she looked back and looked away like nothing was going on.

2.  Lucky #13 is making for the puck in the other team's end ... one of the opposing players hooks her forearm with enough force to turn her.  #13 was so angry she turned around and started hollering at the girl which is totally out of character for her.

3.  #6 is booting along (she's our best skater) and an opposing player slashes her wrist.

4.  #11 (one of my defensive partners) is coming down with one of their wingers near the boards ... they're both diggin' after the puck with their sticks.  All of a sudden #11's stick is flying across the ice.  Two handed over head slash that you couldn't miss (unless you had your head stuck up your freakin' twat).

5.  #13, lucky again, gets a bear hug style mauling against the boards.

I'm angry with the ref's for missing all this but I'm even angrier at the other team.  We know them ... they're from our league unlike half the other teams the come from as far as Prince Edward Island.  One of their players used to be our back up goalie.  We had no expectations of a win.  We just wanted to play a good game of hockey with a fun team.  Man that was ruined for us.

To many of you it might not seem like a big deal because you see so much worse on TV.  But think about who's playing ... Adult Recreational (we all have to get up for work in the morning), mostly mid to late 30's, 40's and older, and in our division, people that have played for 5 years or less (and started as an adult ... so we kinda suck), women.  The emphasis of reffing changed this year so that things that were previously okay (like lifting a stick or ass nudging someone out of the way) aren't unless the puck is right at your feet.  Slashing, hooking have NEVER been okay.

</rant>

Oh ... and FYI ... all female hockey players don't have buzz cuts and wear comfy shoes ... I make a point of wearing heels to the arena ... lol.

p.s. Sorry about the length ... but damn I feel better ...

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: And the season ended with a ... grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »

Awwww... does the poor little gurl need a hug to make her hurt little feelings all better?  Get over it you nanzy panzy....

I can't do it. 

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I feel your pain.  When competition gets in the way of having fun - the purpose of the league - and people get hurt, it makes people less likely to return.  Those people who decide not to return are the ones who are in it for fun and the loss of those players is detrimental to the team as well as the league.  Unfortunately, once the tone is set on the ice, it's likely to remain the same throughout the game.  While you can say, "Wait until next year... they'll get theirs!", nobody likes to be played that way, even in retaliation.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 05:37:59 AM »

You're always a winner in my book, hon. ;-)

of course the heels get you even extra points!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:00:28 AM by 12AX7 »

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »

I feel your pain BW.  A few years ago, I was playing in my softball league (co-ed rec league).  This asshole who outweighs me by at least 70 pounds decides he's gonna teach the cute little girl a lesson, and plows in to me full force (at full speed) at first base.  We both go flying, I end up with a cracked cheekbone and some nasty cuts and bruises.  The umpire does absolutely nothing about this, despite the fact that we have "collision rules" in this league.  Bear in mind, this was not an accidental collision; it was purposeful.  I swear, if the ump had gotten within arm's reach of me, I would have puched him in the face.  The only saving grace was that I pulled my ass up off the ground and played the rest of the game while the giant pussy sat out the rest of the game with a sprained ankle.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:55:58 PM »

There's a big difference between ultra-competitive and playing dirty.  These both sound like the latter.

BlackWidow

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »

I feel your pain BW.  A few years ago, I was playing in my softball league (co-ed rec league).  This asshole who outweighs me by at least 70 pounds decides he's gonna teach the cute little girl a lesson, and plows in to me full force (at full speed) at first base.  We both go flying, I end up with a cracked cheekbone and some nasty cuts and bruises.  The umpire does absolutely nothing about this, despite the fact that we have "collision rules" in this league.  Bear in mind, this was not an accidental collision; it was purposeful.  I swear, if the ump had gotten within arm's reach of me, I would have puched him in the face.  The only saving grace was that I pulled my ass up off the ground and played the rest of the game while the giant pussy sat out the rest of the game with a sprained ankle.

OMG ... that's brutal.  Luckily we had no lasting injuries to our physical selves ... the one girl had a sore wrist but no broken bones.  We were just pissed off ... partly because we thought we knew the team and were looking forward to a fun game.  How is your cheek bone?  My mom broke her's skiing ... the bruising wasn't pretty.

There's a big difference between ultra-competitive and playing dirty.  These both sound like the latter.
Thing is, we're in division 5 of a 5 division league ... we're the bottom where everyone comes to learn (I plan on staying) so really the only heavy competition is within ourselves to improve from one game to the next.  They shouldn't even keep stats for our division ... people only care about their first goal.  The top division is scary competitive ... former olympic players (really old ones ... lol) and young women that have played all their lives.  I can see some of that behaviour happening at that level but certainly not at ours.

But I'm a glutton for punishment ... think I'm going to sign up for a skills clinic Monday nights thru the summer ... or play on Wednesday nights ... or maybe both ... lol.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:46:37 PM by BlackWidow »

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »

Same thing in Masters swimming.  We have people who swim about as fast as paint dries, then we have former (and a few current) Olympians.  It seems each year we get more and more former Olympians and ex-collegiate superstars, and fewer of the not gifted (like myself competing).  I used to be happy just to beat someone in my own age group but lately I've been the one making others feel better about them selves.  Perhaps I'll have to find a new criterion.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 02:17:32 PM »

You could use the same criteria that I use for a "good kiteboarding session"... I didn't drown.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 02:22:01 PM »

I think the chance of that happening in kiteboarding is a little higher than at a swim meet.  I don't want to set my standards to low as to be unchallenging.

BlackWidow

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »

I don't know ... I manage to get so much water up my nose whenever I try to do that little underwater flippy thing to change direction that I almost drown.  I'd count not drowning as a reasonable accomplishment.

Thankfully that last game hasn't put me off hockey ... its mobilized me to try to improve to I can out skate the chippy chicks.  Monday nights thru the summer I'm going to do a skills clinic.  Next season comes the competition might get a surprise.

pb, you've been swimming competitively for a while now ... that's really cool.  Other than some seniors team there isn't anything like that around here.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »

Well up there most of the water is frozen, so the skates are the logical conveyance, right ;)