The Geek Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:04:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129472
  • Total Topics: 7102
  • Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Random Rants  (Read 66822 times)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Rants
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »

Over the years, I’ve noticed a steady decline in the number of young people that have any sense of right and wrong. Last night in English class, I had yet another painful reminder that we are raising a group of young people with a complete lack of moral judgment. The topic for the discussion was 'ways to avoid plagiarism.' The professor explained that you don’t want to take somebody else’s work and pass it off as your own. Then I heard it from the back row: “Why not?”

At first I thought he was joking, but was the young gentleman in question was dead serious. Here he is, in college, honestly asking what is wrong with plagiarism. Is this what we are teaching our children these days? Do whatever you want to do as long as it gets you ahead in life? There is no right or wrong? That you should do only what feels good to you? What type of person can go through his life and not know that stealing is wrong?

I can see him as being yet another victim of our utter failure of a public school system. If, by his college years, he hasn’t learned that plagiarism is bad, then I’d wager to say he’s done quite a bit of it himself and probably gotten away with it. I also see him as being a victim of bad parenting. What kind of parent would raise a child with no ability to see the difference between right and wrong? Modern societal influences are partly to blame as well. When was the last time a successful television show depicted the hero following the rules and having a positive outcome as a result? It’s always the ‘bad boy’ hero that gets the job done in the end. No right or wrong, just what’s right for me at the moment. As much as I'd like to place the blame totally on him, can you really fault somebody for not knowing stealing is bad when they've never been taught otherwise? If you give a chimp a gun and the chimp shoots somebody, you can't blame the chimp.

Sorry if I’m rambling a bit, it’s just saddening to see society swirl faster and faster down the toilet. 
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »

I agree with you, ivan and I guess you might be talking more generally than just schoolwork, but I thought I would add something else to the mix:

Although there may be less teaching of right and wrong to us youngins today, but there is also more pressure to succeed. Plagiarizing each and every paper / report a student has to create will obviously not get him far in life, but if he knows he will not get caught the temptation can be overwhelming to choose the grade over the right thing.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »

I agree with you, ivan and I guess you might be talking more generally than just schoolwork, but I thought I would add something else to the mix:

Although there may be less teaching of right and wrong to us youngins today, but there is also more pressure to succeed. Plagiarizing each and every paper / report a student has to create will obviously not get him far in life, but if he knows he will not get caught the temptation can be overwhelming to choose the grade over the right thing.

I didn't write that. I pagiarized it from Xolik.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »

I HAVEN'T SLEPT FOR THREE DAYS BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE WAY TOO LONG!!!

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »

Hedberg?

EDIT: I realize my error now. Problem is I check updated Threads from bottom up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:37:39 PM by Novice »
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 06:47:24 PM »

Eighty-some years ago our fathers started this new country and decided everyone should be equal in it.

Now we're beating the tar out of each other, and it's like we're going to see whether that was a good idea or not. So here we are in this place where a bunch of dudes had at it. We're here to put a plaque down or something so everyone would remember these dudes who died for us. And that, folks, is totally awesome.

But, in a larger sense, we're just making a grand gesture, and can't really make this piece of real estate holy. The awesome dudes who fought here already made this place so holy, we can't make it any holier with our puny little ceremonies. And I don't care if no one gives a good goddam about my speech here, and this here plaque and banner, but no one should ever, ever, ever forget what our men in uniform went through here. And it's up to us to carry on and make their sacrifice worthwhile, and make sure the country doesn't fall apart.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:35 PM »

I HAVEN'T SLEPT FOR THREE DAYS BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE WAY TOO LONG!!!

Oh yeah, well I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »

So I've heard!

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »

Wendy's.  What the fuck?

So apparently when you get your combo meal, you can switch out your medium soda for a small frosty for only $1.10 more!! 

A small frosty only costs $1.19, jerkfaces.  Why wouldn't I just ADD the frosty to my combo for $1.19 and enjoy the soda too?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »

Because you are not a glutton?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

Wendy's.  What the fuck?

So apparently when you get your combo meal, you can switch out your medium soda for a small frosty for only $1.10 more!! 

A small frosty only costs $1.19, jerkfaces.  Why wouldn't I just ADD the frosty to my combo for $1.19 and enjoy the soda too?

So just order the frosty as well. I've never had those at Wendy's. Are the good?
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »

So just order the frosty as well. I've never had those at Wendy's. Are the good?

They're ama-za-zing!

12AX7

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 12:05:32 AM »

I've never had those at Wendy's. Are the good?
They're just Soft-serve ice cream in a cup. Nothing special. They are good; but Im sure you've had soft-serve ice cream before. And probably didnt pay $1.19 for about a Dixie cup's worth.
 They are WAAAAAAy over-priced.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »

Theater is spelled with an 'E' 'R'! Who's with me!?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »

I agree those letters are in that word.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »

Therate?

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

"Democratic" Capitalism has worked pretty well for us so far... but isn't it a little short-sighted to try to Westernize other places and export it?  The best thing that can happen is that it works, and they become our competition.  Unfortunately, odds are that whatever place we're talking about works a lot cheaper than us.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »

So we just have to talk them into upping their minimum wage.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »

Give them the choice of upping the minimum wage, or becoming a glass parking lot.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »

If you're going to be a dumb, loud, drama-whoring faggot and I call you out on being a dumb, loud, drama-whoring faggot who is responsible for his own piss-poor lot in life, don't get all butthurt about it but do something to change your life for the better instead.

I've met the worst living stereotype know to mankind. This guy at college is one of those annoying twats that completely defines himself by his sexuality. Faded pride tank top, rainbow wrist band, mentions that's he's gay every other sentence (Think Doug Danger for you Phil Hendrie fans out there) and basically leads a shitty life which is, of course, all society's fault because of homophobia.

Here's a newsflash for you: It's your own goddamn fault. Let's go down the list:

Morbidly Obese: Stop eating so goddamn much. Join a gym and do something other than hang out in the locker room with a towel around your waist.

Unemployed: I hear Jack in the Box is hiring. It's a crap job with crap pay, but it's YOUR crap job and working beats the alternative. You may actually have to start thinking about other people for a change, so I know it's scary, but you can do it!

You've been going to a JC for ELEVEN FUCKING YEARS! I know it can be hard, since I've been going to one for four years, but at least in my case it's not because I can't make up my mind about what major I want. "Oh, I was going into nursing at first, but then I read about homophobia in the health care industry (fucking LOL at that. You're a gay Filipino. It's not like there's a shortage of guys like you in nursing) so I changed majors to be a mechanic but then the shop teacher called me a dumb faggot for being a dumb faggot in class so I changed majors to poly sci, but the REPUBLICAN BASTARDS are mean so I'm going back to mechanics." PICK A PATH AND STICK WITH IT!

Indoor voice? What's that? Even your whispers are loud. "HEY XOLIK HOW'S IT GOING YOU BIG QUEER I'M GAY TOO YOU KNOW MY BOYFRIEND AND I ARE TOTALLY GETTING MARRIED WE'RE GAY YOU KNOW WE'VE BEEN TOGETHER THREE WHOLE GAY MONTHS GAY GAY GAY." Dude, we're in a library and I'm just saying 'hi' to you. Nobody wants to hear this shit.

I swear if I have to listen to you tell me one more time about how you're totally going to open a gay owned car repair shop in Palm Springs, I'm gonna scream. A gay owned shop in Palm Springs? Gee, what a pioneer you'll be! It's such a straight town, truly you'll go down in history as a trailblazer for gay rights. You should focus less on making sure you've got enough rainbow flags for your fantasy shop and instead focus on getting the skills and business knowledge needed to run the damn thing. Plus, nobody gives two shits if it's gay owned. If you own it, it's gay owned by default. How many people do you know make a huge deal out of "WE'RE STRAIGHT OWNED!"

Gah! Makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:44:00 PM by xolik »
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2008, 02:05:45 AM »

Gah! Makes me want to rip my hair out sometimes.
I use an Epilady. ohwait Im not gay...

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »

Wells Fargo, my Visa card issuer, offers a free service to help protect my financial information online.  I had to enroll in order to place my recent newegg order.  The last step in setting up this service is to include a password that I'll be asked each time I make an online order using this card.  Now, I have a standard password that I use for ALL of my financial information.  It's a VERY strong password.  It includes:

lower case letters
UPPER CASE LETTERS
numbers
special characters
Length > 8 characters

Wells Fargo's stupid fucking service requires a password length of 6-8 characters and it may only contain letters and numbers.  I called an bitched about it!  What a bunch of crap.  This doesn't help protect me!  This makes me more vulnerable!
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2008, 04:41:07 AM »

Ok, if you have had a pay cut, job lost, house repoed, car repoed, no money to buy food, or lost your savings in a collapsed bank, etc; then fine. Be an ass to everyone and whine and moan about "the economy".
 However, if you still have the same job, the same pay, still have your home, your vehicle(s), and are actually kinda chubby around the gut; then SHUT THE FUCK UP. What in the HELL are you whining/bitching/acting like an ass to me and saying stupid things like "Oh the economy, man! Its the rich people got all the money, and they just screwing us over!!"
  You haven't had a fucking thing change but the price of gas and a few other items that crept up in cost; and you work for the same company at the same job I do, and we are in no way close to being laid off or otherwise losing any hours. In fact; we're SO covered up usually; that we are severely understaffed trying to meet contractual obligations to our customers. Your job isnt going ANYWHERE.

I get so f'in tired of people (generally left-leaning) whining about how bad the economy is; but when you ask them specifically what ails them - "Well, nothing yet. But I heard on CNN (or MSNBC) how bad things are right now, and I believe it, because they said it was Bush's fault."
 Show me some blood before you cry around me.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:43:00 AM by 12AX7 »

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »

Show me some blood before you cry around me.

You want blood? I'll show you blood: I STILL don't have a six foot flat screen high definition TV, and the way the economy is going, next week will be more of the same. F'n Bush.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »

What kind of world do we live in, where they advertise things not everyone can afford?
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11