The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 03:15:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 270
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: I'M QUITTING!!!!!!  (Read 6969 times)

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +44/-5
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
I'M QUITTING!!!!!!
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »

Normally I'd just use the "Let's Bitch About Our Jobs" thread, but this is special.  After being told my long hair is unprofessional (even though it isn't listed in our appearance guidelines) I refuse to get a haircut before Thanksgiving and so, I will be quitting after clarifying the matter with my boss's boss.  I've got load of other issues, this is just the kick in the ass I need to finally quit the job I've hated for so long.

First off, I work as a campus safety officer.  I'm a student who locks buildings, yells at drunks, and prevents the school from burning down.  Oh, and I write parking tickets when I'm bored or angry at freshmen.  I'm good at my job.  I've been here almost 2 years.  I've got tenure over my current boss.  Which brings me to "all the reasons I wanted to quit before today" -

1. My boss is a prick.  He threatened to fire me for not saying "hello" in the morning when he got in even though I was coming off a 12-8AM shift and he never made an attempt to say hello to me either.

2. My boss told me I couldn't ride my bicycle while at work unless I was certified.  Then he let his favy fave employee ride a bike without a word.  The two officers that can use a bike while at work never actually took a certification course.  They had a stupid two day training course and didn't have to participate in any drills they didn't want to.  So, yeah, they're more qualified than me to RIDE A FUCKING BICYCLE.... :roll:

3.  My boss loves strippers.  Okay, I do too... Anyway, another employee (female) was at a strip club in Toledo one night with some friends.  They were there for half an hour when my boss walked in with his wife.  I don't mind that.  I guess they have a healthy, open relationship.  I still find it funny though.  He asked her the following Monday to keep it between them, but she'd already let it slip to everyone before that meeting.

4.  The new uniforms we got suck.  Hate them.  We look like Smokey the Bear fucked a nazi.  They don't breath very well either. 

5. "Team building exercises."  Whenever someone wants to do something stupid with a large group of people, it is referred to as a "team building exercise."  I had to go to Cedar Point with 90% of the staff and I wasn't even paid.  Now, the response we got was that with the price of a ticket and food, we were getting a better deal not being paid.  Fuck you.  At least when I'm paid, I can determine how to spend MY money.  I would never choose to waste my fucking money on Cedar Point if I were given the option.  The real kicker.  I was force to go, but other people who didn't have excuses were allowed to skip.

6. My boss has been hostile to me for a while.  Ever since the "hello, good morning, may I blow you" incident, my boss has been really mean to me.  And by that I mean, I get shit while everyone else gets unicorns and puppies.  I tried to tell him that anyone on campus has the power to access some of our wireless surveillance cameras.  He immediately went, "AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS!?!" ...like I did something wrong in ACCIDENTALLY FINDING THEM.  Cock sucker... I was trying to do him a favour and he acted like I'd broken a fucking rule.

7.  I missed a shift accidentally because my grandma (who's now dead) was in the hospital.  There have been people who've skipped numerous shifts on purpose and not gotten fired.  Today, in the meeting about my appearance, he seemed pissed off that I didn't know I was working and would rather spend time visiting my about-to-die-grandma rather than rushing in to work a shift that would have been over by the time I got there. 

8. My hair.  I have long hair.  I plan to cut it.  I plan to cut it over Thanksgiving break.  That's too long a wait for my boss who got his haircut from a 50's movie.  There are girls in the office with long hair.  It in no way affects my performance.  It is simply "unprofessional" for a man to decide that he doesn't always want a buzz cut. 

9. They want the safety dept. to be a police force.  We're not cops.  They seem hell bent on pushing the dept. in that direction though.  I'm 100% opposed to this.  If they want to do it, fine.  Do it, but I'm not going to start acting like I'm here to shove rules down college students throats.

Tomorrow I've got a meeting with the head of the Student Life Offices.  I will clarify the ruling on my hair with her.  If it is unacceptable and it needs to be cut before Thanksgiving, I quit.  Oh, and losing me will be another set back to the dept, but I'll post on that later... 

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
Re: I'M QUITTING!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

Damn long haired hippy dope freaks.  How's a guy supposed to know the men from the wimmens?

:-D :wink:

I don't blame you tweekins.  In my younger days I did succumb to cutting my hair for two different jobs, I used to keep it down to my shoulders.  In both instances shortly after I ended up quitting for whatever reasons.  It may have been animosity for having cut it.  I then decided that I'd never do it again.  No employer ever asked me to after that but nowadays I wish I had enough on top of my head to let it grow without looking stupid.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »

LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY!

Almost cut my hair
Happened just the other day
It's gettin' kind of long
I could've said it was in my way

But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
I feel like I owe it to someone

I had the flu this Christmas
And I'm not feeling up to par
Increases my paranoia
Like looking in my mirror and seeing a police car

I'm not giving in an inch to fear
I've promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it to someone

When I get myself together
You can find me in that sunny southern weather, yeah
I'm goin' to find a space inside a laugh
Separate the wheat from some chaff
I feel like I owe it to somebody

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »

Power to the people.  Quit.  And fantasize about all the damage you can do to him. 

Better yet, anyway you can transfer to a different unit or something and get a different boss?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »

**Fucking whiner crybaby.  Suck it up and act like an adult.  Did you ever stop to consider that they're harder on you because they see more potential in you than they do in the others?  No... Because you're the victim.  Woe is you.  Everyone is picking on you.  If you disagree with the Cedar Point "Team Building Exercise" for which you didn't get paid, I suggest that you take it to the state's employment department and bring it up as a formal complaint.  Lord knows, I would.  That part is BS, I'll agree.

Now, suck it up and go do your damn job.

**what?  someone had to take the opposing view if there's to be any real conversation on this topic and Tweek already doesn't like me, so whom better?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »

Shave your head completely bald and glue all the hair to your face in the form of a horrible beard.

Of course, this is my advice to everyone about everything.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:28 AM »

I don't really see the problem here.  Quit already.  You can't be making so much money that it's worth getting emotional about it.
You'll meet many d-bags in your life, and chances are a lot of them will be your boss.  So if you're going to quit anyway, I suggest running a few experiments on this one so you'll know what works in the future. 
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:05 AM »

**Fucking whiner crybaby.  Suck it up and act like an adult.  Did you ever stop to consider that they're harder on you because they see more potential in you than they do in the others?  No... Because you're the victim.  Woe is you.  Everyone is picking on you.  If you disagree with the Cedar Point "Team Building Exercise" for which you didn't get paid, I suggest that you take it to the state's employment department and bring it up as a formal complaint.  Lord knows, I would.  That part is BS, I'll agree.

Now, suck it up and go do your damn job.

**what?  someone had to take the opposing view if there's to be any real conversation on this topic and Tweek already doesn't like me, so whom better?

This is just a college job.  If I was actually in the real world and I had a job, I'd probably find some way to keep it.  Michigan isn't exactly known for its wonderful opportunities.  Oh, and the "potential" BS won't work here.  He's not some professor who gave me a lower grade on a paper because he knows I can do better.  As for the part about him picking on me, others have commented on it.  He is a dick to me in general.  Probably not enough to make me quit, but given that this job has begun to interfere more and more in my normal life, it's not worth it anymore.  Too much of what I do is being dictated by this job and my boss.  I do have self respect and I'm done lowering my head and saying, "Yes, Sir!" rather than saying what I really think or standing up for myself.

Oh, and Ivan is the one I don't like.  Get it right. 

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »

Fuck you, Tweek!

I am old.
I have a respectable job.
Fuck you, Tweek!
My hair is long.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:04 AM »

Shit.  Who was it that doesn't like me, then?  One of you little fuckers doesn't.  I know that.

Go to the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth Wage & Hour Division and get your pay for the Cedar Point time regardless of whether or not you quit.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »

Shit.  Who was it that doesn't like me, then?  One of you little fuckers doesn't.  I know that.

Go to the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth Wage & Hour Division and get your pay for the Cedar Point time regardless of whether or not you quit.
I'm pretty sure that was Evonus.  But you're in good company on that one...he doesn't like me either.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 02:49:11 PM »

Maybe it was me.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »

Couldn't blame you.

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »

might be me.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 04:10:46 AM »

Pay no attention to them.  It had to be me.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

tweek

• Jail Bait
  • Ice Monkey/Finne
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »

Quit yesterday... been smiling ever since.  I've sort of picked up a gig as a research assistant to my advisor.  I need to fill out some paperwork to make it official.  Not as many hours, but overall, I'll enjoy it more. 

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

yay!

can you quit my job too?

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »

Shit.  Who was it that doesn't like me, then?  One of you little fuckers doesn't.  I know that...

It was YDLoad

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »

No way.