The Geek Forum

• May 15, 2024, 02:09:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 7112 times)

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« on: April 23, 2003, 03:34:01 PM »

With the addition of yet another dual system in a few days, I'm begenning to become a bit concerned about the heat that it will produce, and eventually throw into the room. Already, on days where it gets up into the mid 70s to low 80s outside (21 to 26 Celsius), the room gets to a nice and toasty 92 degrees Fahrenheit (33 Degrees Celsius). This is of course with the door closed and the window closed. 92 degrees is without the new dual system, which will put off a good amount more heat than my current dual Pentium III system.

I don't like having the door and window open for privacy, as well as keeping noise both in and out. Plus, during the summer, the window isn't going to prove very useful.

Now some of you maybe thinking, "Well, gee, turn on the AC!". You see, that's the problem. This house that I live in doesn't have central Air Conditioning, and the room is a good two rooms away from the window unit.

So any suggestions on how to lessen the heat?

I was thinking about putting an exhaust fan in the celling to vent into the attic which has a celling fan blowing out of the roof, but held off on that idea in hopes of some better ones.

With all the bright minds around here, I was hoping that someone would have a better idea than buying an AC window unit for the room. (Outlets are scarce, and I doubt the fuses can take it)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 03:42:28 PM »

Liquid cooling system?

You could install liquid cooling kits pretty easily, from what I've read.... just add some tubing and run a section of it outside to dump some of the latent heat there instead of in the room....

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 03:47:21 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
Liquid cooling system?

You could install liquid cooling kits pretty easily, from what I've read.... just add some tubing and run a section of it outside to dump some of the latent heat there instead of in the room....

Weren't you and Revka trying to put together a water cooled system a while back?

I was trying to avoid water cooling, actually. If something goes wrong and a leak occurs, that's a lot of damage and a lot of stuff to replace. Plus on a dual system, that would be a lot of tubing and water that would need to be used. It would be the best idea though. They sell kits on Newegg for that. I might get one just to try it out on another system that isn't of much value to me. Water Cooling would also be one of the better ideas if I could use it because it will help suppress the heat altogether.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 03:50:31 PM »

Yeah, Revka and I were messing with making one from scratch.  The problem we ran into was mostly due to the material we had decided to make the main cooling manifold out of... it wouldn't seal no matter what we did.

It did work though.  We used a rather large cooling reservoir (around 3 and a half to four quarts of water), so the reservoir itself doubled as a heat sink, since the volume was so large compared to the surface area it was removing heat from.  

Personally, I think it's a good option for you.

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 03:55:16 PM »

A larger cause would be a good idea if I were to go towards water cooling:

I just think it will be rather tricky to do it on a dual system. Unless there's another kit that you can get just for that, then I might want to do it.

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 04:16:32 PM »

Looking at this review from Tom's Hardware guide, it doesn't appear that much can go wrong as long as you keep the hoses away from sharp edges, you don't bend the hoses, and make sure to use the right compounds to join the hoses to the connectors.

However, do you know of any water cooling solutions for dual systems, Demo? I did a half-assed search on Yahoo! and didn't bring much up, except for that review on Tom's Hardware guide.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 04:26:22 PM »

I'm no hardware geek, but maybe maybe this will work?

Unless, of course, you've already decided on the home-made system.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 04:42:03 PM »

I'm more concerned about the room tempterature than the case temperature at this point. That will simply move the air from one to another. I believe the water will get rid of that heat transfer problem.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 06:07:35 PM »

I gotcha now.

Er...just to point out the obvious, your avatar is dead.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 07:35:35 PM »

Quote from: Chris
Looking at this review from Tom's Hardware guide, it doesn't appear that much can go wrong as long as you keep the hoses away from sharp edges, you don't bend the hoses, and make sure to use the right compounds to join the hoses to the connectors.

However, do you know of any water cooling solutions for dual systems, Demo? I did a half-assed search on Yahoo! and didn't bring much up, except for that review on Tom's Hardware guide.
No clue... Revka and I looked at some single processor kits and figured we'd try our hand at making one from scratch, since my education indirectly involved the same concepts (moving heat from one place to another, to simplify it, if you want to get technical ;) ).

Though I'm sure somebody makes liquid cooling kits for duals....

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 09:33:57 AM »

Here's a picture of a water cooled dual system from the [H]ard|OCP Forums (AKA: [H]ard Forums)

All they basically did there is continue the chain of water to the next processor. By the time it reaches the same processor, it almost has no effect because the water has already been heated to a pretty high temperature by the first processor it passed.

I also bumped into this case last night which will give me a good deal of more room, but that sure as hell doesn't solve any heat problems in the entire room. That beast weighs 36 pounds empty.  :shock:

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2003, 09:40:31 AM »

Those cases at that site are sweet!  I like the stainless steel look....

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 02:41:10 PM »

I'd like some serious case mods, but I'm way too lazy and stupid.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 03:22:08 PM »

How about an old refrigerator and just stick a couple of the boxes in it?
 :lol:

DC

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 04:02:45 PM »

Seems to me that the best solution would be a portable air conditioning unit like this one, but not this one specifically.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 04:29:15 PM »

Seriously though.  Do you have AC in the house?  If not a window unit in the room could do wonders either way.  By the way how is your electrical system holding up?  I know you were concerned earlier that it might not have been up to par for your systems.  Just remember all these other devices are going to be more of a drain on it.

DC

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
Any ideas?
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2003, 09:58:05 PM »

I have been under the impression that water does not conduct heat very easily, how is water cooling effective?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2003, 09:53:16 AM »

Water is in fact an excellent conductor of heat.

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2003, 11:31:10 AM »

Yes, the proff is that if you expose water to heat long enough it will boil. OMFGLOL!!!11  :P

What's wrong with my portable unit idea? Too expensive? Probably... The cheapest I could find was this unit at $499.

Click for Website

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
Any ideas?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2003, 01:00:48 PM »

So why does it take the pool so fucking long to heat up :(

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2003, 04:55:51 PM »

Quote from: hob goblin

So why does it take the pool so fucking long to heat up :(
Because of the volume of water as compared to the amount of energy being transferred to it, and the surface area of the heat transfer medium.

The heating element in your pool is small.... it has a very small surface area.  Even without increasing the amount of energy it is being powered by, if you were to increase the surface area in contact with the water, you would have a more efficient transfer of energy and therefore the water would heat up faster.

If you decreased the mass of water being heated, the average temperature ("T^ave") would increase more quickly, assuming the amount of heat energy being transferred via the heating element remained a constant.

Another factor affecting the amount of heat being transferred from one medium to another is something known as "mass flow rate".  The amount of heat transferred from the heating element to the cooling medium or heat sink (in this case, the water in the pool) is directly proportional to the amount of mass flowing over the heat transfer surface.  In other words, increase the mass flow rate, and you increase the amount of heat transferred per unit time.

It's all pretty basic math, actually.  Here is a pretty good webpage I just found that has a fairly basic explanation of the idea behind it.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Any ideas?
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2003, 05:59:39 PM »

Take that, (probably) rhetorical question!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2003, 07:21:56 PM »

Hey, I don't get a chance to use my education for much in the line of work I'm currently in... you gotta use it or lose it!  :)

Besides, unlike philosophy and other topics, since I actually have legitimate professional credentials in it, it's pretty much the only field I can lay any honest claim of being an "expert" in.  Everything else is either a hobby, or just trivial crap I've managed to pick up along the way and haven't purged from the old "cranial hard drive" yet, so to speak.

Anonymous

Any ideas?
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2003, 07:28:24 PM »

What about windspeed on the surface of the water, wouldn't that help cool the water down that has already been heated?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Any ideas?
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2003, 08:30:55 PM »

Quote from: Chris
What about windspeed on the surface of the water, wouldn't that help cool the water down that has already been heated?
By evaporation, sure.  But depending on the volume of water you're talking about, and the amount of surface area exposed to the wind, the losses are most likely pretty negligable.  We're probably not talking about 200 mph wind speeds or anything here.   :)

Pages: [1] 2