The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 12:08:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Who has a PDA?  (Read 3577 times)

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Who has a PDA?
« on: February 02, 2006, 07:20:08 PM »

I'm idly considering buying one of these little blighters for the following uses:

1) Internet browsing while waiting around outside
2) Reading e-books
3) Appointment scheduling n' junk
4) Maybe media transport/music listening
5) Insert fifth thing

Any recommendations from the crowd?

(I will also accept "don't buy a PDA" but I probably won't listen)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:42:09 PM »

I own a Palm Zire, and my dad has a Dell Axim. I seldomly use mine (Though I'd like to use it more often) and he uses it all the time. The only thing that I find to be a little "weird" with his Axim is configuring it to connect to my wireless network. The settings aren't really clear, so reading the manual is a good thing.

Personally, I like the idea of having a PDA for organizing myself and whatnot, but the only downside to having one is that it's another thing to carry around and worry about. I find it to be kinda annoying to carry one around alongside my cell phone. I would probably use it a lot more, had I not lost the CD to install the Palm software. :roll:

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 07:44:52 PM »

I inherited my wife's Palm Tungsten T-5.  Pretty cool, it takes SD media cards.  It is really handy for scheduling, and I can beam pictures from the camera via blue tooth to the Palm and then upload to my ancient 98 box which definitely needs replacing, which we'll do if our house appraises for enough when we refinance and consolidate our debt.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:01:13 PM »

I have a Palm Zire, but I get more use from my new Motorola E815 Hollywood Cell Phone.

It does everything.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:33:33 PM »

I have a Palm Tungsten E

It doesn't have wireless, although perhaps I can buy a card for it, but it does let me watch videos, although I would really need a bigger SD Card for it (mine is only like 128 I think, but I think they can go up to a gig or higher)

I can read/write word documents/presentations/spreadsheets, which is nice if you like to use them

You can read PDFs, and tons of ebooks are available. (memoware.com is one such site for free ebooks I think)

I tend not to plan out my day, because I remember things pretty well, but I'm thinking of just putting everything I need anyway and checking it at the beggining of the day just to make sure I remember.

I can look at color pictures, which is nice if you have them I suppose.

Just some things about it.

Edit: You can also listen to music, with or without headphones.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 01:27:31 AM »

FWIW, I ended up grabbing one of these:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/

Stratofortress

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:11:19 PM »

I used to have a Sony CLIE. (It broke.)  I now have an hp iPAQ rx3115.  I use it mainly for scheduling and contact info.  It also works fairly well as an MP3 player.  Pop a 1 gig SD card in and listen for . . . well, until the battery is drained.   Also good for viewing videos and color pics.  I've also used for viewing Word docs and Excel spreadsheets.   It has Bluetooth and Wirelass LAN connectivity.  And Micro$oft has an OS on there, of course.  

My wife has a Dell Axim that's better than my iPAQ and she plays Bejeweled.  That's it.  Nothing else.  I'm so ashamed!  *sob*  *sob*
[INSERT WITTY COMMENT HERE]

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 01:39:37 PM »

Quote from: Lacerda
FWIW, I ended up grabbing one of these:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/

That looks pretty nice. I used to have a Palm (Zire? I think) but when my BlackBerry took over my brain it made me throw it away...
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

fatbobsufc

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 08:13:20 AM »

I have had a plethora of PDAs over the years and this would be my advice:

1. Unless you have a very hectic schedule, the organiser will fall by the wayside as nothing but a novelty after a while

2. The only use I could find for a PDA that stood the test of time was tomtom navigator but this comes down to how far you travel

3. Although the idea of using it for MP3s seems a good idea you will get much more use from an IPOD (a PDA is just not versatlie enough to take to the gym for example)

4. I cannot emphasise this one enough DO NOT BUY A PDA THAT DOES NOT HAVE WIRELESS - you might as well buy a laptop with no ethernet!!

5. If you really want a PDA, consider the space you have about your person to carry one around with you.  If (like me) you like to travel sans bags, this thing NEEDS to be pocket sized.

6. PDA phones are FAR better than PDAs alone.  You can replace two nosehair clippers with one and save valuable pocket space and embarrassing pocket bulge!  When buying a PDA phone SIZE IS EVERYTHING.  I used to have an XDAII and it got to the point where I was embarrassed to put the thing to my ear in public as it was the size of a small laptop (the obvious exception here is where necessity of the on-the-job tools it offers outweighs the embarrassment factor).  If you are looking for a PDA phone consider the I-mate Jam or K-jam (with keyboard) they are the size of a normal mobile phone but run windows mobile.

ivan

Who has a PDA?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 12:54:47 PM »

Yeah, I've got a phenomenally developed ass.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »

I returned that PDA a while ago.  :oops:

Once I got my fancy doodad, I found I didn't want it as much any more.

Binary_Branflakes

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
Who has a PDA?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 10:22:25 AM »

I have a Sony Clie.  I thought I'd use mine more than I do.  it mostly rots in my bag.  It's kind of old though.  I think...maybe...if it had bluetooth and more memory and stuff i'd use it more.

the way it is now, it's pretty much a fancy smancy calculator and electronic black book.  A thrill a minute...lol.

...and when i'm in need of mobile computing i just bring along my laptop, makes more sense since I don't know a PDA out there that I can run Photoshop on. LOL
Bran is to pooping as Binary is to computers.