The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:06:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129468
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: I am the new bit on the block.  (Read 1427 times)

Hyperreal_Logic

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-1
  • I am a hypercosmic sporism.
    • View Profile
    • Hyperreal Logic's Homepage
I am the new bit on the block.
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »

I'm from the Chicago suburbs, and have lived here most of my life.  I don't have much of a social life outside of the internet, which I suppose can be a shame sometimes, as it facilitates my shyness and awkwardness; but most times it is great, as having a non-virtual social life is expensive these days, especially if most of your social activities involve consuming food, alcohol, and gas.  Perhaps the main reason I don't have a non-virtual social life is because I don't have any friends who have similar interests and who would like to do things other than drinking alcohol and going to bars.  I would rather spend my money on coffee, books, and magazines.  Thus, as you might figure, I am primarily a reclusive person.

The books and magazines I buy consist of Linux magazines, science books, and other non-fiction academic literature.  My interests include computers, programming, Linux operating systems (see my signature), software, mathematics, logic, physics, biology, psychology, economics, anthropology, philosophy (the deep kind, like Kantian and continental philosophy), languages/linguistics, and music.  My music tastes include classical, progressive rock, classic rock, "oldies," and 80s pop (like that from GTA Vice City).  Aside from the four CSI/NCIS episodes each week (three CSI, one NCIS), I don't watch much TV.  The only DVD I own personally is The Elegant Universe.  I also enjoy playing video-games every once in a while.  The most recent game I've played was Dragon Age Origins, which I enjoyed.  My favourite games include Resident Evil 1-5; GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas (never got into IV); Mafia; The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Shivering Isles expansion.  My favourite books include Meta Math by Gregory Chaitin; The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose; Relativity by Albert Einstein, and Who's Afraid of Schrodinger's Cat by Ian Marshall.

I'm currently an undergraduate student of computer science, concentration in technical programming.  My career goals include becoming a systems programmer and software engineer.  I am also interested in web development, including PHP, MySQL, Apache, Javascript, HTML/XHTML, and CSS.

I'm also looking for new people to chat with, so if you're interested you can add me on AIM, Yahoo messenger, or Google Talk.   :-D
Hyperreal_Logic = {Linux nerd, computer science student, mathematical/logical dreamer, theoretical/philosophical thinker, aspiring systems programmer, internet dweller}

Current operating systems:  Fedora 14 Linux, Ubuntu 11.04 Linux, Pinguy OS Linux;
Currently learning:  Ruby programming, Linux operating systems, Linux shell programming, HTML/CSS coding;

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: I am the new bit on the block.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:37:49 PM »

Wow!  You put some thought into your first post!

I vote we wait a while before we ban this one.  ;)

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »

I'm from the Chicago suburbs, and have lived here most of my life.  I don't have much of a social life outside of the internet, which I suppose can be a shame sometimes, as it facilitates my shyness and awkwardness; but most times it is great, as having a non-virtual social life is expensive these days, especially if most of your social activities involve consuming food, alcohol, and gas.  Perhaps the main reason I don't have a non-virtual social life is because I don't have any friends who have similar interests and who would like to do things other than drinking alcohol and going to bars.  I would rather spend my money on coffee, books, and magazines.  Thus, as you might figure, I am primarily a reclusive person.

The books and magazines I buy consist of Linux magazines, science books, and other non-fiction academic literature.  My interests include computers, programming, Linux operating systems (see my signature), software, mathematics, logic, physics, biology, psychology, economics, anthropology, philosophy (the deep kind, like Kantian and continental philosophy), languages/linguistics, and music.  My music tastes include classical, progressive rock, classic rock, "oldies," and 80s pop (like that from GTA Vice City).  Aside from the four CSI/NCIS episodes each week (three CSI, one NCIS), I don't watch much TV.  The only DVD I own personally is The Elegant Universe.  I also enjoy playing video-games every once in a while.  The most recent game I've played was Dragon Age Origins, which I enjoyed.  My favourite games include Resident Evil 1-5; GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas (never got into IV); Mafia; The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Shivering Isles expansion.  My favourite books include Meta Math by Gregory Chaitin; The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose; Relativity by Albert Einstein, and Who's Afraid of Schrodinger's Cat by Ian Marshall.

I'm currently an undergraduate student of computer science, concentration in technical programming.  My career goals include becoming a systems programmer and software engineer.  I am also interested in web development, including PHP, MySQL, Apache, Javascript, HTML/XHTML, and CSS.

I'm also looking for new people to chat with, so if you're interested you can add me on AIM, Yahoo messenger, or Google Talk.   :-D

Welcome, new guy!

Now, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »

Perhaps the main reason I don't have a non-virtual social life is because I don't have any friends who have similar interests and who would like to do things other than drinking alcohol and going to bars.  I would rather spend my money on coffee, books, and magazines.

Would your college be considered a "party college"? Maybe you'll have more luck in your graduate studies if you decide to take that route.

Welcome!
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »

Holy first post, Batman! I happen to enjoy drinking alcohol and going to bars, but I also enjoy staying in and having a lot of "me" time. There's nothing wrong with either.

Welcome!
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Rizzy

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +82/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »

I'm from the Chicago suburbs.

What suburb?