The Geek Forum

• May 12, 2024, 04:51:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Fringe  (Read 4716 times)

shparks

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Fringe
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »

Any fans / critics of that show?

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Fringe
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:15:28 AM »

I happened to watch the first five or ten minutes, unfortunately, while down with a stomach bug. I had to turn it off because I was getting sick from all the gooieness. As it turns out, someone who is already nauseous, and people melting, don't go well together.

When the feeling in the pit of my stomach goes away I'll go back and watch it, see if it's any good. The effects didn't look that bad for a TV series.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »

It was alright - I had a lot of problems with the way the main lady went about her decision making process.

<SPOILERS>

"Hey, I'm a ca-razy old scientist you just met and brought out of a mental institution! Now take off all your clothes and let me inject you with something and put you in a container so that you can go into this guy's dreams!"

"OKAY"

</SPOILERS>

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »

When I take you out tonight with me, honey, here's the way it's gonna be: You will sit behind a team of snow-white horses in the slickest gig you'll ever see.

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry when I take you out in the surrey, when I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top.

Watch that fringe and see how it flutters when I drive them high steppin' strutters. Nosy folks will peep through the shutters and their eyes will pop!

Those wheels are yellow, the upholstery's brown, the dashboard's genuine leather. With nice bright curtains that can roll right down in case there's a change in the weather.

Two bright side lights winking and blinkin, ain't no finer rig I'm a-thinking; you can keep your rig if you're thinking that I care to swap for that shiny little surrey with the fringe on the top.

Would you say the fringe was made of silk? 

Wouldn't have no other kind but silk!

Has it really got a team of snow-white horses?

One's like snow, the others more like milk (so you can tell `em apart).

All the world would fly in a flurry, when I take you out in the surrey, when I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top. When we hit that road hell for leather, cats and dogs all dance in the heather. Birds and frogs will sing all together and the toads will hop!

The wind will whistle as we rattle along, the cows will moo in the clover, the river will ripple out a whispered song, and whisper it over and over. Don't you wish you'd go on forever? Don't you wish you'd go on forever? Don't you wish you'd go on forever and would never stop?

In that shiny little surrey with fringe on the top.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Greenshoes

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »

I enjoy the show, but the lack of real science-related material frustrates me. Yeah, odd and terrifying phenomena occur with some frequency, and the solutions are often science-related, but no real basis for these things is ever given.

<SPOILER EXAMPLES>

The contagious, face-melting agent was not some kind of artificial super-virus or mutated necrotizing bacteria, but an "artificial substance." That's it. Really? Yup. Why a mere substance would be contagious between anyone's guess, and all it really takes to survive it is hypothermia.

Moving on to the more recent episode, the ability to grow at a grotesque rate is chalked up to pituitary activity. Let's ignore that this process was never explained and assume it's just a short leap from healthy maturation to geriatrics. Sure. Problem is, there's no reason for a fetus to develop at this accelerated rate before its pituitary is even formed. Even presuming that some latent hormones are carried to the egg during fertilization, there would be no way simple pituitary hormones would elicit that reaction.

So, let's presume it's not as simple as they made it sound, and that he had super genetically-enhanced hormones that spur that kind of rapid growth, even before the pituitary gland's development. Following the live birth, at which point the infant was small enough to be held like a normal child, there would have been no source for the complex molecules and energy needed to simply constitute its final (rather chubby) form, much less power the cell division needed to  produce it in the first place. The baby was, presumably, never fed, and its final size is much larger than that of its spritely mother. Conservation of mass is clearly violated in this case.

<End Spoilers>

This is a show about mad science, but I'm disappointed thus far. Science makes up the bulk of "mad science," and Fringe is skimping over the fun parts to facilitate the angst of its overly-emotional lead actress.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »

Conservation of mass is clearly violated in this case.

It was not a closed system. Maybe it feeds on bad ideas.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

Pyrotic666

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »

i've watched all the episodes so far, and they're pretty good.

Greenshoes

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:22:22 PM »

It was not a closed system. Maybe it feeds on bad ideas.

Ha ha! Would that make it a moronivore?

That'd be a great retcon for them:

<Spoilers>

"The supersoldier infant from Episode 102 was designed to feed off the idiocy of others, taking nourishment from plotholes and poor scientific references. These are converted directly into complex sugars and amino acids... in his pituitary gland."

<End Spoilers>

You're right, of course, in that it was not a closed system. It's entirely possible that he was genetically enhanced to absorb carbon, nitrogen and hydrogen from the atmosphere in the same way he absorbs oxygen, and that ambient heat and light powered this mockery of biophysics. Ignoring that this explanation puts great strain on my suspension of disbelief, my biggest problem is that they never even offered an explanation.

I like Ivan's idea better anyway.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:12:01 PM by 12AX7 »

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »

So I watched some tonight and was able to acertain that it is a show attempting to reveal/explain scientific phenomena without actually using science... or logic for that matter. They really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas aren't they?

Eh, it failed to maintain my interest or my short attention span.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

shparks

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 01:45:03 AM »

This is a show about mad science, but I'm disappointed thus far. Science makes up the bulk of "mad science," and Fringe is skimping over the fun parts to facilitate the angst of its overly-emotional lead actress.

I heard there was some other show coming out about "mad science" too.  Maybe it will be better.  I can't remember what it is called though.  Has anyone heard of another show like Fringe coming out?

Greenshoes

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »

You may be thinking of Eleventh Hour, which has much in common with Fringe. Eleventh Hour deals with illicit science of a much more conventional ilk, making it something like Animal Cops with chromosomes playing the shivering, mistreated bulldog and scientists playing the unsophisticated pet owner feigning ignorance over animal rights clauses.

Though there are disturbing similarities in concept (both involve a brilliant scientist with poor social skills teamed with a "gorgeous" FBI agent) Eleventh Hour's adhesion to actual science should help prevent me from writing a masterwork poem and rending my innards with a tanto.

Also of note, it's produced by Jerry Bruckheimer of CSI, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Armageddon fame. This won't guarantee quality (he also produced Con Air and Kangaroo Jack), but we'll certainly get some nice special effects and cinematography, yes?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:26:25 AM »

Welp, Fringe conflicts with Eureka, and my DVR can only record one channel at a time. So that's that.

shparks

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 01:26:47 AM »

You may be thinking of Eleventh Hour, which has much in common with Fringe.

Yeah, that's it.  That show looks like it might be good.

Pocket

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »

I dig this show... the crazy father guy from lord of the rings is quite disturbed though... makes for quality television though.

Darth Awesome

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »

I'm not a big fan of JJ Abrams' work. I'm guessing it has something to do with polar bear *rimshot*. I'm waiting for Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.