The Geek Forum

• May 08, 2024, 06:53:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 147
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Best Buy, Worst Time!  (Read 4276 times)

Anonymous

Best Buy, Worst Time!
« on: July 10, 2003, 12:22:18 AM »

There aren't many times where a person of my caliber gets to actually go out to normal stores that everyone else shops in. You know, stores like Service Merchandise, Jame's Way, and Bradlee's. I haven't been to any of those stores in about several years, maybe more like ten years. Who knows! This might have something to do with the fact that they have all closed down in this area and have moved on to bigger and better things, like being bankrupt, or just not existing at all!

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/club.jpg" alt="This is an example of the many places that I do not attend" border="0">
This is an example of the many places that I do not attend
However, people like myself do go to places like Best Buy, Newegg.com and not the "Gentleman's Bar". I frequent Best Buy, and everytime that I return there, I'm scared out of my mind of what goes on in that store. Not only do you have people who have no idea what the hell they're buying from there for their computers, but you have people that actully stand in the front of the store waiting to harass you by greating you with a friendly "Hi! How are you doing today!". What if I just said, "Fuck off" to them? Would they throw me out. I think they'd give me the boot. So instead, I just reply with "Hey" to avoid getting a visit from the PoPo (AKA: The police).

This seems to be a new trend in the stores today. Sam's Club, Wal Mart, Best Buy, and Comp USA all hire people to stand infront of their doors asking to see people's receipts and harass people when they come into the store by greating them with a "friendly" "Hi! How are you doing today!" or some other stupid line. I suggest the airlines hire some of these people, they do pretty good jobs at what they do. I've never gotten by them once without them checking my bags.

It doesn't stop there at my most favourite store called "Best Buy". No. You would think that them annoying the hell out of you as soon as you got in would be enough for them. No. Not enough satisfaction for them. They must go the extra step and annoy the hell out of you throughout the duration of your visit. They'll annoy you until you walk out that door. Maybe even after that, like in the parking lot or in the back of your car.
http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/bestbuy.jpg" alt="Can I annoy the living hell out of you?!" border="0">
Hi! Can I annoy the living hell out of you?!
1. The Greeting
This irks me... What does "Irk" even mean, by the way? As soon as you walk in the door, you're greeted with a friendly "Hi! How are you?!". Personally, I'd be very happy if they just didn't have someone there, or they did have someone there, but every time you walked in, they would give you hundred dollar bills instead of saying hello. This step in their process to annoy the hell out of their customers confuses the hell out of me. What are you supposed to say to them? Do you kindly tell them to "Fuck off" and keep walking? Do you start a conversation with them and ask them about their job security or how much they weigh? Do you keep walking and pretend like you didn't hear them to piss them off? Do you walk around like a mad man in a trenchcoat dripping with sweat so they don't say anything to you? I'm stuck with a delayed "Hey" when I'm a good 30 feet away from them to aviod further communication.

2. Sales People
I thought that the friendly greeting was the worst part of the visit, and it probably is, but there's more to their madness. While you're looking, you'll have about 3 workers come up to you and ask you the same question in the course of about 5 minutes. "Do you need help with anything?" they all ask. If you've ever asked them for something, the first thing that they'll probably tell you is "I'm sorry, we're out of that. But we do have the next model up which is only 50 dollars more! And it comes with a free year of service from us!" Amazing. I'm honeslty shocked when I go there and ask for something and they actually come back with the box for it. I normally expect the guy to come back, tell me they don't have it, but then tell me they have a Microsoft Explorer Mouse on sale for $29.95, when I'm looking to buy two 100 gig hard drives. You can't blame the poor guy though, at least they're both in the same department.

3. Service Plans
Me being the total loser that I am, I don't need them to install anything because I can actually read, unlike many people in today's society. Next time you take a trip to Best Buy, try buying a CD and they'll try to offer you a service plan. "Would you like to buy our service plan for this CD for only 29.95 a year?! This will cover you from gremlins stealing it, you dropping it from the moon, or it somehow spontaneously combusting turning into ash!"

http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/rentacop.jpg" alt="Can I see your receipt, punk?!" border="0">
Can I see your receipt, punk?!
4. "Sir, Can I check your receipt?"
This just pisses me off the more I think about it. They've already bothered me several times before, and I just want to get the hell out of the store, and then you have the same person that annoyed the hell out of you when you first got into the store asking to see your receipt. Again, I ask what happens if you polietly tell them to "Fuck off" and calmy keep walking? They'll probably call the PoPo (AKA: The police) on you, you know, since they can't give you the boot. Chances are you've already walked through a 150 foot maze of crap before you got to any register, it would be pretty obvious walking through there with any kind of item. Perhaps they're paranoid, or they just don't trust their own employees that they pay to prevent those sorts of things.
I know, you're probably thinking that I've gone mad. And you might be right, I bet I have gone mad. They're just trying to please their target audience, you know, the audience that will buy anything Best Buy employees tell them to becaus they actually know what they're talking about when you go in there. Appaently Newegg.com is looking to employ a new method of checking to make sure users are not stealing from them, they've been rumored to be making a Mr. Paper Clip type of character to scare off any potential "shoplifters". They could always use the Windows logo to ward of hackers, since most of them use Linux and get offend when they see anything related to Windows.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
Best Buy, Worst Time!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 11:57:25 AM »

I've yet to go into a Best Buy, but from all the terrible things I've heard about them, I doubt I ever will.

Anonymous

Best Buy, Worst Time!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 06:22:50 PM »

I lost $3000.00 on a tv from BEST BUY that now shows triple images after owning two months.Toshiba says its best buys fault and the Best Buy says its toshibas fault.Waranty isnt worth the paper its written on.Best buy is a scam factory.I got ripped off at BEST BUY

This guy

That...
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 11:33:12 PM »

...had to be the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
Never have i heard someone bitch so much about people who work in retail.

If you really dont like what they do there, then maybe you should check out Circuit City, where you'd be lucky to find any employees that want to honestly help you(CC employees get commission, BB's dont).

The God Of Pirates

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 03:25:24 PM »

Nooo!! You offend my homeland!!

Ehh, sorry. My older sistewr works at Best Buy..tis very convenient. Actually, she works at the Manalapan, NJ Bestbuy, which is actually pretty easy to get around, they don't really annoy you, they actually help when you need it, are generally friendly, and best of all, there is no greeter. Hooray. They only check your reciept once, too, it's cool.  So..if you live by Manalapan, NJ..try going there. -nods- Not all BestBuys are works of the debil. Actually...most are, this is the only good one I've EVER been to, and I've been to my good share of BestBuys.

And I'm out.

Love Lauren
arrgh. avaste, ye scurvy sea-geeks.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Best Buy, Worst Time!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 06:22:50 PM »

I always pass there on my way to get my teeth mangled by the otho-don-tologist! *pain* Taylor Mills Road= teh debil.
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

The God Of Pirates

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Best Buy, Worst Time!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 05:36:36 PM »

Yes, haha, Taylors Mills Road is, indeed, the debil. I used to go to Taylors Mills School when I was...in...uh...kindergarten-3rd grade. Yep.
[oh wow i just heard my little brother yell "i peed all over it!!" ...he's 11.]
Anyways, I was wrong; they have a greeter; but they're not...scary. >^_^< They just check your recipt on the way out and wave to you when you get there. Ahh..and also..it's not maze-like. -cough- Yes, yes, thats all.

love lauren.
arrgh. avaste, ye scurvy sea-geeks.