The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:37:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: How to create card system  (Read 2588 times)

AbeLincoln

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
How to create card system
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »

Hello so my assignment is to create a card system. Currently every time a customer comes in we need to scan their ID every time. we want the customer's to come in we scan their  Identification card once instead of having to scan their ID's every time. Once we scan their ID we want to print out a card that has a bar code and score system on the card,  This is for a rewards system so we can see how many times they come in and at which stores they come in and also track their information as they use it over the country. I am curious How I would go about doing this, My guess is first I would need to set up a database and be able to enter information and from there be able to correlate this data to the card. Any suggestions would be amazing even if its "google database blah blah blah" Thank you

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Re: How to create card system
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »

google database blah blah blah

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »

A slightly more serious response:

What's the philosophical difference between scanning an ID vs. scanning the rewards card? (Keep in mind: I know the answer; I want you to tell me.)

You will need a database & a secure API to said database (you'll be storing personally identifiable information and potentially credit card information, I imagine), perhaps data validation. Much of the rest is front-end functionality.

AbeLincoln

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:46 PM »

I think the difference would be for us to promote our company and for them to carry around a little piece of our company with them wherever they go(our brand will be on the card)
With this will I need programming skills I am looking at it on a serious note and am wondering can I use an sql database to store the information and use the scanner to help transfer information from the card to the database?
Thanks for your response

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:26:19 PM »

I'm not familiar with card readers and how they export data, but you may need to write a translation layer between the card reader and the database.

You will need programming and database skills. No question.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »

Plus you'll need focus on security.  If your DB has any sensitive information you need to make sure it's secure.

AbeLincoln

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:50:10 PM »

I'lll be honest I dont care about security, I recognize that at some point we will send it to a datacenter so they run front end encryption and backend encryptions. But untill then I am just trying to get this setup, I do really appreciate your responses I have begun to set up the sql server and will later run everything needed.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »

Personally, I think your instructor would be impressed if you focused on security, one of the biggest concerns about technology in general nowadays. Of course, if time constraints mean you are only able to get it functional, I can understand. I do suggest you mention it in your future goals / next steps.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?