The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 12:42:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129630
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 33706 times)

Odd_Bloke

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
Gun Control
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
How is this less relevant today?  The insurgents in Iraq with their McGuyvered explosives are doing quite well against the "Coalition of the Willing's" modern weaponry.  The Guerrillas in Vietnam had similar success.
But the US Army is an invading, peace-keeping force. If a 'tyrannical government' turns on the US, then they'll be much more likely to use a lot more force, as they don't need to worry about offending the rest of the world (they're bigger and, if the world isn't pissed off by them turning on their own citizens, nothing is going to get them pissed).

For me gun control is a pretty much non-issue.  I don't own one, never have, nor ever intend to.  This is my personal choice.  When it comes to others, I have no problem with them owning or not owning guns.  It is their personal choice.  Statistically my odds of being a victim of gun violence are still very low.
Stop making excuses and argue!!! ;)

Dan, hoping to express himself better next time
"I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

12AX7

Gun Control
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2006, 01:17:16 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge

That falls into the blowing shit up category. My brother in law is into clay shooting big time. I know there are sports out there and I don't ignore them. They usually use shotguns for these type of games. I have been hunting for over 15 years.

Yes, that sport, too. (Skeet shooting); but what I was referring to is competition target shooting. Paper targets with bullseyes on em. Nothing blows up, lol. Usually, a rifle is used; not a shotgun.

I think when it comes down to it, the real issue I have is with the gun culture Americans appear to share.

Quote from: 12ax7

I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, btw. I have found that there seems to be a profound difference in how Americans view certain things and how others view them. This is one example; guns. Almost NO ONE who is other than American sees ownership as a right (constitutional or otherwise).

And yes; definately. I would much rather kill an intruder than stand by let him assault my family; wait for him to finish his business with my wife/girlfriend/daughter and leave THEN call the police.

IFOUNDWALDO176

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +32/-57
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »

gun control means using both hands :evil: :evil: :evil:
"OB draws his Flaming Sword of Dumbass-Slaying +3 and strikes a heroic pose." -Odd Bloke
"Anyone goes near my wallpaper and I go all Aaron Burr on their asses." -Detta
"Administrator is god.  But not on a Windows box." Demo

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »

This could get real ugly real quick...

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »

ivan

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2006, 02:57:06 PM »

This non-flaming rule.... is... giving me... a... tension headache....

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2006, 12:46:26 AM »

Man, fuck that rule. You can't just pop into a 9-page-long thread about a serious topic and post some stupid shit.

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2006, 02:41:17 PM »

Man, fuck that rule. You can't just pop into a 9-page-long thread about a serious topic and post some stupid shit.

Permission from The Boss!

IFOUNDWALDO176

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2006, 02:49:33 PM »

I think when it comes down to it, the real issue I have is with the gun culture Americans appear to share.  -the judge

Guns are one of the reasons that America came into being, if the revolutionaries hadn't had guns, then they would either have continued to pay their taxes to Britain, or they would have been crushed before the Revolutionary War ever started.
"OB draws his Flaming Sword of Dumbass-Slaying +3 and strikes a heroic pose." -Odd Bloke

Odd_Bloke

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2006, 03:05:54 PM »

Guns are one of the reasons that America came into being, if the revolutionaries hadn't had guns, then they would either have continued to pay their taxes to Britain, or they would have been crushed before the Revolutionary War ever started.
Right now, I really want to run head-first into a brick wall. It might be less painful...

But, if the British hadn't had guns, then it wouldn't have mattered in the first place. And the British wouldn't have had guns if they hadn't been invented. So we need to look to the inventor of the gun to take responsibilty... Come on! Own up!
"I am, after all," said Pooh, "a bear of very little brain." -- A.A. Milne

IFOUNDWALDO176

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2006, 03:21:41 PM »

If you want to punish the dead, I think you should contact that spyyder dude, He seems to hang out in plenty of graveyards.   :evil: :evil:

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »

<snip>
I think when it comes down to it, the real issue I have is with the gun culture Americans appear to share. You seem to think that having a hand gun in your house will provide you with protection. That seems to be a general consensus in the states. I don't think like that. I value all human life and I don't think I would be able to shoot someone who was robbing my house. You seem to think you can resolve anything with guns. I prefer to let the guy rob me because I don't want his blood on my conscience for the rest of my life. I pity the individual and I feel that if someone has to sink that low to survive, it's because of another problem which society can work on, like poverty and education.

I don't want to have to go through the whole legal process to prove that I acted in self defense. I don't want to risk having a dickweed judge who'll charge me for 3rd degree murder. What if the person you shot was someone you knew well? Do you want to live that experience? I'd rather just let the robber go on with his business, call the police, and deal with my insurance company later. That's why I have insurance. Americans on the other hand, and I'm generalizing here, seem to think it's better to shoot the guy if given the opportunity. That's the culture difference.
<snip>
Judge, I think you misrepresent the feeling that most gun owners have about someone "in their house".  If someone wants to come in my house, take everything I own, and not harm a single hair on my head, I would never think about defending myself in this way.  However, someone who is in my home for the purpose of inflicting bodily harm on me is another story entirely.  I have long said that someone who plans on raping me will only succeed because I am dead or out cold.  And I can guarantee you that I will do my best to take them with me.  I (nor the police) would have any problems shooting (or otherwise incapacitating) someone who was in my house for that purpose.  After all, in this day and age, rape can be a death sentence.  Overall, I think that most people who own guns for protection would not shoot a mere robber, but would kill, in a heartbeat, someone who was there to do harm.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2006, 07:34:18 AM »

I'm glad you cleared that up. Now I have to rethink my whole plan seducing you in your sleep.  :-D

OK, I'll agree with you on this one and say that this is a valid a legitimate reason to own and use a gun. Nowanswer this: Out of all the guns that were acquired specifically for the reason you just mentionned, how many guns have been used for something else? (like suicide for example)

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »

...how many guns have been used for something else? (like suicide for example)

This could lead into a discussion about suicide....

Also, what do you define as legitimate uses of a gun, and what gives you the right? (consitutional or otherwise)
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »

And what is wrong with suicide?  To me that is a natural right and the government has overstepped it's bounds by outlawing it.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2006, 04:44:09 PM »

And what is wrong with suicide?  To me that is a natural right and the government has overstepped it's bounds by outlawing it.

As I said, a discussion about suicide.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2006, 05:41:06 PM »

*poof*

Now it's a discussion about tasty tartletts.  I'm definitely in the pro camp when it comes to those.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2006, 07:28:03 AM »

Lemon or pecan? That's the real debate!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »

definitely pecan!

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2006, 12:04:56 PM »

I think it would be a tie. I mean, they're both 5 letter words and both have 2 vowels. That's a tie.

12AX7

« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2006, 07:32:55 AM »

*poof*

Now it's a discussion about tasty tartletts.  I'm definitely in the pro camp when it comes to those.

:-D :-D I SO love you!

I mean um... you're cool, man. Real cool.  :mrgreen:

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2006, 05:41:20 PM »

I think it would be a tie. I mean, they're both 5 letter words and both have 2 vowels. That's a tie.

Sure tie has two vowels but it's only a three letter word.

Phife

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-20
    • View Profile
    • http://phife.deviantart.com
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »

I just read that in England one can get a 4-year jail term for carrying a pocket knife.

So I think things in the U.S. are pretty good in comparison.
They're trying to build a prison!

For you and me!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]