The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 12:07:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129630
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Poll

Does your town/city regulate the hours that kids are allowed to go trick or treating?

Yes
- 1 (6.7%)
Yes - but nobody follows it
- 1 (6.7%)
No
- 11 (73.3%)
No - but I wish they would
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Trick or Treat Hours  (Read 4770 times)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Trick or Treat Hours
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:02:19 AM »

In Toledo, the kids are only allowed to go house-to-house from 6pm to 8pm.  I'm not sure when that became the rule.  I don't think there were set hours when I was a kid.  I suspect it has something to do with the "Hell Night" (The night before Halloween) activities in Detroit back in the 80s.  That's when they started changing the date of trick-or-treat activities, too.  I'm not sure that it solved anything, but they made it so that trick-or-treating didn't happen on a Saturday/Sunday.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
Re: Trick or Treat Hours
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »

I live in an area where you have 3 municipalities side by side. You can travel from any of these 3 to any of the others in 10 minutes or less. A few years ago, one of these municipalities had the bright idea |> that kid's shouldn't be begging for candies on a weeknight so they changed the official "halloween" date that year. The 31st was a Monday, so they decided a Sunday would be better and in that community, residents had been advised that halloween would take place on the 30th instead.

Well the kids just loved it! Everyone from comunity A and B invaded community C on the 30th, and then on the 31st, everyone from community C did some trick or treating in communities A and B.

What the fuck? Change halloween dates? HELLO!!!!!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »

No law here.  We only had 18 trick or treaters this year.  All but one took eyeballs, and were really excited about them.  Now I have tons of candy and a few eyeballs left.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:51:40 AM »

No law here.  We only had 18 trick or treaters this year.  All but one took eyeballs, and were really excited about them.  Now I have tons of candy and a few eyeballs left.

It was the same way here in my neighborhood in New Jersey. About 10 years ago we used to literally need several bags of candy for all of the kids, nowadays about 10 pieces is enough.

Is it just my area, or has Halloween taken a nose dive?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:23:09 AM »

There are pockets of neighborhoods here that still go all out.  If I chose to pass out candy, I could easily get by with one bag of "fun size" bars.  Instead, I turn off my lights and go over to my ex-mother-in-law's house and help pass out candy.  They spend more than $100 every year on candy for passing out.  This year they didn't run out for the first time in 10 years.  Almost every house on the street passes out candy and people drive there from all over the city.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:23:26 PM »

I live in a very small town (~800 inhabitants) that is predominately Catholic in makeup.

As a result, every household around us has like 3+ kids.

We get inundated with trick-or-treaters every Halloween.  They mostly trail off by around 8:00 PM or so though.  I don't think our town regulates such activity.  There really isn't any need to.

I don't mind the volume of kids.  Personally, I think it's pretty entertaining.

But then, Halloween is pretty much the only holiday about which I give a crap.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 12:57:26 PM »

Halloween is pretty much the only holiday about which I give a crap.
Me, too!

I love the little kids who are excited and really put some effort into yelling "Trick or Treat!"  Then, as they leave, they squeek out a "Thank You" after mom reminds them.  The best costumes get hand-fulls of candy put into their bags.  Some of the tiny tots are so cute in their costumes and they seem to be in awe that someone would just give them all that candy.

The kids that are old enough to drive/shave who come up with no costume get nothing.  The kids that are old enough to drive/shave who actually put on a costume get a single gum-ball or sucker. 

The kids with 2 bags - one being for their little bother/sister that's home sick?  They get a gesture as if I'm dropping something into the bag as my foot taps the bottom of the pillow-case (usually) so as to make it seem like I dropped something into the extra bag.

We had one girl last night that came up with no costume and no bag.  BBCK's mom asked, "What no costume?" at the same time as I asked, "Where's your bag?".  The stupid bitch said, "I don't need a costume or a bag.  Give me candy."  We told her to get off the porch and forget about getting any candy from this house.  As she walked away, she said, "Fuck you guys... you suck!"  BBCK's grandmother (whose house we were at) said, "If the house gets egged, you're cleaning it up."  To that, I responded, "Shit... she was too stoned to remember which house it was."  BBCK's mom agreed.  It was clear that the girl was just trying to cure her current munchies.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 01:00:23 PM by BizB »

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:14:46 PM »

Love Halloween, but we live on the hippie block. Not many kids around here. Mostly stoners.

Big Orange Cat

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +69/-2
  • pwned
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Depot.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »

Halloween is my favourite "holiday," too! :) I have about six large tubs of decorations that go inside and outside the house, except this year with this bronchitis the last few weeks, I only had the energy to put a few things up.

I live in the small town I grew up in. 25 years ago the population was 3,000; today it's 15K. But the "old town" part where I live is still very much like it was when I was growing up, and still goes all out for holidays like Halloween.

On Saturday the old town merchants dressed up and had trick-or-treating at their businesses for a couple hours during the day. Then there was the "pumpkin roll" contest -- once an unofficial tradition when I was in high school, where teenagers would steal pumpkins and roll them down one of the steep streets that go into the main drag. Now it's an offically sanctioned event where you bring a pumpkin or buy one from them, buy a ticket to write a number on it, and then try to roll it into one of three barrels at the bottom of the hill to win prizes. Very entertaining.

We're still surrounded by farmland, so there's some nice corn mazes and the farmers have hay rides and such.

Last night we had a pretty good turnout of trick-or-treaters, but we generally don't get any after 8 p.m.

The weird thing I noticed this year was that despite the clear weather, there were a lot of parents driving their kids from house to house. This is on streets with typical residential density (6,8,10 house per block), four way stops at intersections, and sidewalks.  :|
Bullshit is one thing when I have to listen to it, but when I have to actually PERPETUATE it, like some fecalesque memetophenomenological VIRUS, that really pisses me off. -- Agent_Tachyon

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 02:53:46 PM »

The last-kid-of-the-night last night got a double-handful of candy.  He looked at me like  :-o

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anyanka_was_framed

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +148/-4
  • Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:23:04 PM »

It was the same way here in my neighborhood in New Jersey. About 10 years ago we used to literally need several bags of candy for all of the kids, nowadays about 10 pieces is enough.

Is it just my area, or has Halloween taken a nose dive?

My parents only had about 50 kids this year.  Every time I go home there are more new developments that seemingly sprang up over night, so I really can't give you an estimate on the population.  However, one school in our district about 2 minutes away has over 500 kids and it's just one of our 5 elementary (k-3) schools.  A couple years back during the anthrax scare people thought that people would actually lace the halloween candy with anthrax and wouldn't let their kids out.  Instead I think there are a lot more parties instead so the kids are all together, in costume and get candy.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 07:42:40 PM »

Halloween is my favourite day of the year which follows my second favourite.  However this year the 25th was my favourite, 31st second favourite and 30th third favourite

LuciferSam

• Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 06:37:28 AM »

I have no idea if we have laws here, but it doesn't really concern me as I screen trick-or-treaters. By which I mean, if I peep out the window by the door and don't like the kid's costume, I won't answer it and will play grouchy-old-man.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

Cyber_Sniper

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +21/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://msdn.microsoft.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »

Pah, Halloween dam American fad, it will never last. ;)

The whole costume thing hasn't really took off over here yet (some of them are really poor) although the kids throwing eggs at the cars and houses certainly has.  I have always envied the American it looks so cool.  Halloween in Ireland was fun bonfire a parties everywhere. What I remember as a kid Halloween in England was duck apple and toffee apples, the real fireworks happen on the 5th...

Anyanka_was_framed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »

Pah, Halloween dam American fad, it will never last. ;)

The whole costume thing hasn't really took off over here yet (some of them are really poor) although the kids throwing eggs at the cars and houses certainly has.  I have always envied the American it looks so cool.  Halloween in Ireland was fun bonfire a parties everywhere. What I remember as a kid Halloween in England was duck apple and toffee apples, the real fireworks happen on the 5th...

You may be right...:-\

I was half awake when I heard it, but Emma Thompson was on Leno last night explaining Guy Fawkes day to us colonists.  Something about kids making a little doll then asking "a penny for the man?" and setting the doll on fire later that night.

Duck apple?

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"

Cyber_Sniper

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 04:28:18 PM »

Yeah penny for the guy.  Guy as in Guy Fawks.  We always have a big display and hotdogs & burgers and burn the Guy, good times.

Duck apple

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 05:12:37 PM »

Guy Fawkes is always a blast, I hear that it may spread over stateside this year because of that V for Vendetta movie - there are not going to be guy fawkes celebrations so much as policy protests on the 5th involving guys in guy fawkes masks, etc.  :roll: What do I care, eh? I'll be fishing.  :mrgreen:

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

Anyanka_was_framed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 08:41:25 PM »

Yeah penny for the guy.  Guy as in Guy Fawks.  We always have a big display and hotdogs & burgers and burn the Guy, good times.

Duck apple

Ahhhhhhh, k thanks for the info. 
I once bobbed for apples.  Very wet, and I cheated and won.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »

It's not winning if you cheat.

Anyanka_was_framed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:28 PM »

Technically it was cheating.  There was a loop-hole.  I found it.  The person in charge said we couldn't use our hands or arms, but didn't mention shoulders :-).

I'd never bob for apples again...after 10 years of working with children I have a thing about germs.  If I had realized how much saliva was in there, or realized that people's hair and faces were all up in that water *shudders* gross.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »

Sissy.

Cyber_Sniper

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »

Technically it was cheating.  There was a loop-hole.  I found it.  The person in charge said we couldn't use our hands or arms, but didn't mention shoulders :-).

I'd never bob for apples again...after 10 years of working with children I have a thing about germs.  If I had realized how much saliva was in there, or realized that people's hair and faces were all up in that water *shudders* gross.

You big grils blouse...