The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 05:04:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129629
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: New "Shelf System"  (Read 2432 times)

Anonymous

New "Shelf System"
« on: December 30, 2002, 09:22:10 PM »

Since I have a few computers now in use, space was becomming an issue, as well as the amount of heat where I sit to use them. So I thought about building my own server case, and went to Home Depot to see what they had. After realizing something that large would look like a giant standing next to a midget, I needed to think of something else.

I spent about an hour in Lowels (It's down the highway from Home Depot) to see what they had other than solid cabinets to use. Either it was going to be shelves that could be mounted on the wall (and could support the weight of them), or something like a metal cabinet type of thing that wouldn't be that bad, other than the overall look.

After realizing that the metal cabinet deal would be a lot cheaper, I went with it.

Putting it together required no tools, and took me about 10 minutes to do. I would not reccomend doing this if you have a bad back, as the entire package weighs about a good 60 to 70 pounds and comes in a box that is oddly shaped, making it difficult to carry.

Also, this is not reccomend if you only have one or two computers and don't plan on getting anymore.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
New "Shelf System"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 03:21:16 AM »

Damn, that is pretty hot.  I think you should somehow incorporate cooling into it.

Can we have a LAN party at your house :)?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
New "Shelf System"
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 09:24:10 AM »

Hey, that's pretty nice, Chris.  I'm considering getting YET ANOTHER desktop machine, and I've been scratching my head about how the hell I'm going to fit it into my office (at home).  Maybe I need to get something like what you have so I can actually set up and run everything all at once.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

New "Shelf System"
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 10:07:10 AM »

There really is no need for cooling, all the shelves are open , so cooling is quite good - It really cannot get much better.

As for doing something like this Demo, I would first say look for something that can close in the front, back, and all sides. Then all you have to worry about is putting a nice little "blow hole" at the top with a fan and the noise and ugliness is cut down a lot. That is assuming you have the room for something like that and it won't look like a monster in your office. Heck, if you got the money, get one that can close and replace the door (or doors) with plexi glass. (Note: some ugliness returns then)

For 62 bucks, I really can't complain, the damned thing can hold 1,500 pounds per shelf it says. :shock: There was another one that was black plastic made by Ruber Maid, but its appearence wasn't that appealing.

12AX7

New "Shelf System"
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 02:55:28 PM »

Very cool setup, chris. Here's mine below. I had a problem with the fan noise at first, and being how it's a recording setup, that's a critical issue. The way the boxes are set up in this photo, though, resulted in an unbelieveable decrease in noise. I can hardly hear them when I'm sitting right there. The entire rear of the cases are behind very thick cardboard/carpeted custom made 'walls', yet are easily accessible for maintenance, and the airflow is totally unrestricted.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
New "Shelf System"
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 01:45:03 PM »

So Chris, how much did that metal cabinet cost?

I wouldn't mind trying to purchase one for myself...I'm running out of space.

revmoo

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.revmoo.org
New "Shelf System"
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 08:19:31 PM »

Pretty sweet setup, I need something like that for our new house.

If money is no option, just get a nice half rack, and a couple rackmount cases, and put your hardware in those, chicks gotta dig that :p.
It's the queers, they're in it with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay martians I swear to God.

Anonymous

New "Shelf System"
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 11:30:19 PM »

Quote from: revmoo
Pretty sweet setup, I need something like that for our new house.

If money is no option, just get a nice half rack, and a couple rackmount cases, and put your hardware in those, chicks gotta dig that :p.

I was actually looking into making my own rack just a few nights ago. Making a rack isn't that expensive, nor hard, it's those damn rackmount cases that hit your the hardest. At nearly 100 dollars each, I'll need to spend nearly 400 dollars on just cases alone, and then another 50 on the materials for my own rack.  :cry:

I must admit, it would be pretty cool having your own rack in your house with some rack mount cases, and a nice rack mount switch to go with it.

Speaking of rack mountable switches, I just ordered a 16 port 10/100 base T switch from ebay that should be coming sometime next week.