The Geek Forum

• May 20, 2024, 07:10:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129647
  • Total Topics: 7194
  • Online Today: 170
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Slade, Ivan? Really?  (Read 2158 times)

LuciferSam

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +122/-122
  • ástellaþ: ("hálette eormengrund!")
    • View Profile
    • ZomboCom
Slade, Ivan? Really?
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »

I would never have figured you for the slade type. My apologies for not thinking of them, tough. I try not to, but that is probably an inequity.

Since you deleted your thread, and my short term memory is almost nonexistant anymore, I will ave to work from guesstimation, but I would theorize that your  :? in the would be filled by "--> The Rolling Stones --[> The Troggs/Count Five --> Iggy & Co."

Afterthought: I tend to think of Kiss and cheap trick as Slade followers, more than AC/DC. But, yes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:33:29 PM by LuciferSam »

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
Re: Slade, Ivan? Really?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »

Let's go ahead and slip Link Wray and his Ray Men right there at the beginning/concurrent with the stones. That was a man who knew how to age with grace. And by grace, I mean rock.

• Q: What is green and homeomorphic to the open unit interval? A: The real lime!

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 02:46:43 AM »

LS, I deleted the thread because I thought I was being presumptuous. Sometimes responding to overeager amateurs is just too much like work, and I did not want to put you in that position.

I am winding down after entertaining a group of like-minded fellow travelers, so I'm afraid I'm a tad incoherent. Something to do with the most beneficial effects of ethanol on the human brain. So I won't attempt to continue this conversation until tomorrow, other than to mention that, for some reason, Slade was more known to early 70s Russian teens than either T-Rex or mid-carreer Bowie. Maybe because the phonetic song titles were easier to read.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:54:20 AM »

I would never have figured you for the slade type. My apologies for not thinking of them, tough. I try not to, but that is probably an inequity.

Since you deleted your thread, and my short term memory is almost nonexistant anymore, I will ave to work from guesstimation, but I would theorize that your  :? in the would be filled by "--> The Rolling Stones --[> The Troggs/Count Five --> Iggy & Co."

Afterthought: I tend to think of Kiss and cheap trick as Slade followers, more than AC/DC. But, yes.

You are absolutely right. Stones, Troggs, Iggy. Brilliant. And I would never have thought of Cheap Trick as a Slade descendant, but I can hear it now.
"Surrender" is a Slade song.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:32:53 AM »

Presumptuous? My dear Vanja Davidoff, your courtesy and wit are exceeded only by your humility. But tell me, does that mean you did not experience the dynamic thrill that was the Bolan Child until later? For a motorphobe, Marc could sure make a car into a powerful sex symbol.

Afterthought: My truly first beautiful car was named after a Bolan song, a '72 Vantage. Thunderwing. Had it stenciled on the side in '77, when we heard about his accident while on tour. I put it out to pasture when I decided to settle permanently in the states, but I hope someone out there really loves their 'Martin. Many interesting things happened in that car.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:56:29 AM by LuciferSam »

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »

I thought this was the thread in which the old HN account, Slade, would be revealed as Ivan's forum troll alt.

Thread does not deliver.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »

does that mean you did not experience the dynamic thrill that was the Bolan Child until later?

Actually, that is yet ahead of me. I am still filling in gaps between the mid '60s and late '70s. Think of what went on in those years. But it's all on YouTube now, so I'm making progress.

LuciferSam

• View Profile
    • ZomboCom
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »

Luci's Flowchart For Ivan's Nostalgic Edification™ (LUFFINE 1.0, post Abbey Road edition) is under construction. Please check back later.