The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 05:50:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 148
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Baseball  (Read 8219 times)

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
Baseball
« on: August 07, 2002, 07:55:10 PM »

I really don't get the Baseball thing. Its just weird - especially on tele. Mabye its just C5's coverage but I was just watching it and its so confusing. It was just players stepping up to the base thingy swinging at the ball and then getting 3 stike outs and then leaving. The one guy that hit the ball got caught out. I mean its not a real sport...they had 3 players gotten out and then it stopped for 5 mins and then another 3 and then a 10 mins break. Football I get. Even rugby. Sometime basketball and Ice Hocky. But Basball... :shock:

Funnies: 123

Anonymous

Baseball
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 07:59:32 PM »

Baseball can be a sport for the picter, catcher, and batter. But no one else.

It's not a problem with it being a sport that I have with baseball, it's with the players themselves acting like such fucking idiots.

They want too much money for something that doesn't require that much money. There is no high demand for baseball players, nor are there great risks when playing the game. It's simply money at it's best. It sure can do some strange things to people.

Revka

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +28/-1
    • View Profile
Baseball
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 08:55:02 PM »

I have no idea why baseball players are asking for the amount of money that they are.  I mean they get, what, 4 or 5 at bats every GAME!  When they're on the field it'd different.  They could get one or maybe 2 people out per inning.  It's not that tough to play the game, but to play it well requires a lot of practice.

My thoughts on baseball are this... if you don't love the game enough to play it for free, then you shouldn't be playing it.  If you want to ask for money for playing the game, then don't make it over 5-6 figures a year.  I mean come on.
"I think very few of us are not 'messed up' by the internet that are members here. Really, very few are actually "normal" humans." - Chris

Anonymous

Baseball
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2002, 07:39:08 AM »

Altough I agree that these guys are way over paid (as with any other major sport), I wouldn't say that baseball is only about swiging a bat or throwing a ball. Sure, those are the critical pieces of the game, but you also have to be able to run damn fast, use judgement to steal, learn weird sign language, communicate with other players verbally and non verbally, etc. It's really a whole team effort. The best teams in baseball have excellent teamwork skills. And that can years to develop.

blitzrieg bop

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Baseball
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2002, 09:49:32 AM »

Most runners don't even try to beat out a ball down to first though. It depresses me when I see Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey jog down the line to first because they think they are going to be out anyways. Or the are thinking "I'm making 10 milllion a season, why hurt myself running to first?" It just sickens me when I see a play that I think I could beat out. I love players like Ichiro who hustle to first everytime and make the fielders actually work.

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
Baseball
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 07:29:41 AM »

i know im new here. forgive the newbie rant. this is something that is near and dear to my heart.

i love baseball. i love everything about it. we are lucky enough to be watching quite a few of the greatest players ever play right now. randy johnson is so nasty its unfair. looking at vladimir guerrero is like looking at the future athlete: incredible speed AND power. ichiro is unreal. i moved to the seattle area recently and was more impressed in person. the guy never quits. its just not in him. watching the immense talent in the league right now is so much fun.

but none of those fuckers respect it. not the owners, not the players, certainly not donald fehr or bud "piece of shit in a suit" selig. no matter how the media spins it, both have important grievances. theyre just too fuckin proud to negotiate. how stupid do you have to be to argue about 10's of millions of dollars?

ive been a fan all my life. i love the dodgers like no other. yea, they suck ass every goddamn year, but i love em. i smile when the SF giants lose.

its my sport. dont take it away with a strike. i wont come back next time.
your ad here.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Baseball
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 09:01:51 PM »

Baseball? Ugh. Show me the golf channel.

Wha? Oh my god! WHAT A TERRIBLE DREAM!

I dreamt I was gay and LIKED watching golf and...

*Phew*

"And THAT your Honor is how my client came to be..."

Phoenix

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Baseball
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 03:18:11 PM »

I played baseball for 4 years and trust me I know how boring baseball is to watch, but once you step onto the field it is a completely different story.

Anonymous

Baseball
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 07:16:38 AM »

I played golf a while back. That must mean I'm gay. But ask yourself this: Would a gay golf player completly loose his temper to the point where he smashed his driver against a tree, sending the club head flying away, never to be seen by the human eye again?

FUCKING STUPID GOLF!!!DIE DIE DIE!!! THAT DAMN LITTLE WHITE BALL IS SUPPOSED TO FLY STRAIGHT!!! NOT SLICE IN THE WOODS ALL THE FRIGGING TIME!!!!  :evil:

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
Baseball
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2002, 06:53:07 PM »

I rather like golf.   :?
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

portghost

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achaea.com
Baseball
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2002, 10:38:36 PM »

i don't really care for baseball, it reminds me to much of when i was like 8 or something.. i don't know, something like that-

golf- nah, not mah styuuul, if i even have any to begain with.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius (c. 551-479? BC)