The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 03:39:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 148
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What the heck is this window that just popped up?  (Read 5921 times)

Anonymous

What the heck is this window that just popped up?
« on: February 25, 2004, 04:31:26 PM »

http://www.geekforum.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13" target="BLANK">http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/demo_avatar_kane_screen_sm.jpg"> Submitted by Demosthenes

I was just working on installing some updates on someone's computer where I work, and I needed to download a driver for something.

I opened up Internet Explorer and searched for the driver I wanted, found a few hits and went to one of the search result sites that appeared to be what I was looking for.

I was surprised to see two or three windows appear out of nowhere in front of the IE window in which I had been working.

Puzzled, I watched these smaller windows load, and they appeared to be advertisements.

Then, it struck me:  "These must be POPUPS!" I said.

Funny... a few years ago I started using things like http://www.agentland.com/Download/Intelligent_Agent/303.html">Proxomitron and http://www.opera.com">alternative browsers and popups were no longer a part of my internet browsing experience, period.

And here we are, in this day and age, and apparently popups are still present?

Seriously, people... do you honestly think that these things are doing anything for your business?  Do you honestly think anyone is paying attention to them?

Most people I know that have any sense don't put up with popups for long once they run into a few of them.  They go out and get a popup killer utility like the one I mentioned, or perhaps the new http://toolbar.google.com/">Google Toolbar, and move on, forgetting like me that popups even exist.

More and more people are turning to alternative browsers as well... http://www.opera.com">Opera is a good one, and http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/">Mozilla Firefox seems to be a popular one lately.  Both of those have built-in popup controls, as well as tabbed browsing capabilities.

And for those of you that like how IE renders webpages, there's http://www.myie2.com/html_en/download.htm">MyIE2, which adds tabs to Internet Explorer as well as tabs and skins and a number of other nice features.

My point here is, with all the tools readily available (for FREE, no less) to deal with a fairly simple annoyance, is there honestly anyone left out there that truly thinks that popups are an effective form of advertising?

Any individual that is exposed to such tactics is immediately annoyed by such things.  Their response is one of two things:

1)  Find a way to block them.
This is what most people that I know do.  Using some of the options I've already mentioned, most people familiar with the web and its annoyances deal with popups pretty much immediately.  Presto!  No more popups, no more problem.  Hardly effective advertising when end-users don't even realize that popups exist anymore.

2)  Live with it.
People not bright enough to do something to stop the annoying popups will just close them and continue surfing... only to be hit with more of the same popups, then to close them and continue surfing.  Eventually they start swearing and get irritated at all the aggravating windows slapping them in the face, and they start noticing that all these stupid popups seem to be coming from the same handful of companies, advertising the same few products.

Most people in this situation make note of this, vowing never to buy such products or do business with companies who consider bludgeoning end-users with endless annoying advertising tactics to be a positive way to sell their wares.

In other words, popups have two effects overall:  Either people get wise to it and stop seeing them, or they get annoyed by them and despise those using them as advertising.

So I'm confused.  WHY are there still popups on the web?  Are there honestly still people out there so dense as to think that this will promote their products or companies with a GOOD image?

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35792.html">this article on TheRegister today:

Six out of ten of those quizzed said they mistrusted brands that used pop-ups to advertise their products and services.

Said Rob Stevens, director of business behaviour at Bunnyfoot: "Brands are undoubtedly committing commercial suicide by insisting on using pop-ups. The effect of such techniques goes way beyond simply annoying the user: they frustrate, they impose and they engender mistrust. Pop-ups are therefore not just a huge waste of money, they are also extremely negative for a brand."

Hello!  The clue phone is ringing!  It's for you!  The only people that are seeing your stupid ads anymore are pissed off by them, guys.  So do yourselves a favour and knock it off.

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +20/-2
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck is this window that just popped up?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:46:46 PM »

Most people I know that have any sense don't put up with popups for long once they run into a few of them.  They go out and get a popup killer utility like the one I mentioned

Need I say more?
HURR!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:57:19 PM »

Well the people that don't have enough sense to stop popups from ruining their web-surfing experience don't really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Most of them don't understand e-commerce anyway.

Believe me... my wife is the one in charge of the online store for the publishing company for whom she works.

The questions she gets from people are astonishing.

Them: "How do I create an account on your online store?"

Her:  "Click the big 'click here to create an account' button right at the top of the page."

Them:  "How do I see what's in my shopping cart?"

Her:  "Click on the big button cleverly labeled 'click here to view your shopping cart'"

Her normal response anymore if they continue having problems after that kind of dialogue is to direct them to the 800-number that puts them directly through to someone who can take their order the old fashioned way.  Most of the time, that's the only way they'll be able to place an order, since they're usually too stupid at that point to be able to manage basic things like pointing and clicking.

Somehow, I think most popup advertisements are lost on those people... so they don't really count.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 05:05:19 PM »

So what you are saying is that people are either pissed off by popups, or too stupid to understand them?

I think you are (understandably) making the same mistake that I tend to make - just because intelligent people like those of us on teh Geekery tend to surround ourselves with other intelligent people, we lose sight of the fact that there are some REALLY DUMB people out there.

I mean, I know we understand that intellectually, I just think we lose sight of HOW DUMB they are.

I have personally seen someone BUY SOMETHING from a popup ad.

I almost choked to death on the blood that came spewing from my ruptured 'sense that the world is mostly a relatively sane and understandable place, mostly' organ.
HURR!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 05:34:49 PM »

Quote from: DiscipleOfChaos
So what you are saying is that people are either pissed off by popups, or too stupid to understand them?

Yup.

I have personally seen someone BUY SOMETHING from a popup ad.

Uh.... but.

But.....

Um.... but that doesn't.....

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 05:47:41 PM »

Popups trick a lot of users, believe it or not. Take my mom for example. She will click the Xs on the popup images rather than the X on the actual title bar to close it, which, as we all know, is part of the scheme to get you into their marketing scam.

JohnnyFive

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.johnnyfive.net
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 08:08:54 PM »

Quote from: Chris
Popups trick a lot of users, believe it or not. Take my mom for example. She will click the Xs on the popup images rather than the X on the actual title bar to close it, which, as we all know, is part of the scheme to get you into their marketing scam.

You mean that X isn't real? It's.. it's.. PART OF THE MATRIX?????

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 11:05:05 PM »

Quote from: JohnnyFive
Quote from: Chris

You mean that X isn't real? It's.. it's.. PART OF THE MATRIX?????

Huh? There's no 'x' in the matri.... oh.

Damn, I guess it IS!
HURR!