The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:35:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129470
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.  (Read 211647 times)

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
Re: The 'Let's Bitch About Our Jobs' thread.
« Reply #825 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »

Me: So the firewalls are directly connected with a single cable?
Cu: Yes. Why can't they communicate?
Me: There doesn't seem to be an ARP entry . . There's no switch or anything, just a cable?
Cu: Yes. I am positive. They are directly connected. Why won't this work!?

. . . 2 hours later.

Cu: OK, we took the switch out from in between and they can communicate now.
Me: OH! GLAD TO HEAR IT!

I think the problem is that I trust them to know their own network.

Hah, it's not directly related, but this reminds of the troubles I had setting up my new home router a couple months ago. Everything was being detected fine, but the router wasn't allowing any of the networked computers access to the modem. It took me several hours and multiple hardware resets, restarts and driver re-installs to ask the question "why are there four cables plugged into the back of the router if there are only two computers on the net-- fuck."

Yep, there was a CAT5 plugged into two ports on the router. The router was going crazy trying to use DHCP to assign an IP address to ITSELF. Possibly twice over. When I switched routers, I had simply plugged in all of the cables I could find without thinking about it. Oops.
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

12AX7

« Reply #826 on: September 22, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »

Well. In five months, I either move to Cary, NC; or lose my job.

They are moving my entire group, and as there will be no more telecommuting; if you can't move with the job - you lose it.

I could rage on about how it makes no sense to take your last group of alarm monitoring and Remote Clear engineers - who

cost the company very little as we all telecommute since there is nothing here in Alpharetta but office space (The servers we log into and use are in

different states anyway.) and delete them all; and then have all new, inexperienced engineers reporting to hard Office Real Estate to figure out how to do

what we are doing  from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina RIGHT NOW at our own personal cost (broadband payed for by employee)...

but...  whatever.  Any tips, leads, hints, sites, etc. that you can share; please feel free. I havent decided what Im going to do yet; still have about five

months yet.

So anyway.  Yep.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #827 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »

They are moving my entire group, and as there will be no more telecommuting; if you can't move with the job - you lose it.

I could rage on about how it makes no sense to take your last group of alarm monitoring and Remote Clear engineers - who

cost the company very little as we all telecommute since there is nothing here in Alpharetta but office space (The servers we log into and use are in

different states anyway.) and delete them all; and then have all new, inexperienced engineers reporting to hard Office Real Estate to figure out how to do

what we are doing  from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina RIGHT NOW at our own personal cost (broadband payed for by employee)...

but...  whatever.  Any tips, leads, hints, sites, etc. that you can share; please feel free. I havent decided what Im going to do yet; still have about five

months yet.

So anyway.  Yep.

Spend five months looking for a new job and documenting every shady employer practice you can find to get leverage for a severance package to let you live on while you continue looking.

Don't move under those conditions, imo. It's clear that your employer doesn't plan around their employees at all; I would wager it's only a matter of time before they screw you even harder.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:18:23 AM by Banshee »
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »

Cary isn't actually all that bad. But it is in NC. NC. NC is the northern most state still considered below the Mason/Dixon line. We have no fucking clue who we are, but we make great illegal liquor and we drive like it's a NASCAR track.

The good news is you'd be 4.5 - 6.5 hours away from me.

Closer for better stalking.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

12AX7

« Reply #829 on: September 24, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »

The good news is you'd be 4.5 - 6.5 hours away from me.

Closer for better stalking.

:-)  That was the very first thing that crossed my mind. Honestly.

12AX7

« Reply #830 on: September 24, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »

Actually, according to the stupid map; I'm closer to you now than I will be when in Cary.  :|

**edit - ok - mileage-wise it will be closer. Time-wise; probably not.  I just looked at the interstates and at first it looked shorter
from here; since it's just a straight shot down I-85.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:21:47 PM by 12AX7 »

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 24, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »

Wow, that really sucks.  Banshee makes good points, don't uproot for a company that's going to screw you.  You seem to have a pretty good skill set.  Is it going to be very difficult to find a new job in your area?
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

12AX7

« Reply #832 on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

Well, I've been there ten years, and nowhere will I start out making what I make now. That is IF I could even find a job anywhere near here.
  Also, I have no ties to this place other than the house. No friend network, no family, nothing. So there is just as good as here; except for the moving
part. Verizon's giving $10k for moving expenses, so that much is taken care of; but I have no idea how I'll manage to get a loan to buy another house.
 Even if I could sell this one; my loss at this point would be massive; and that still wouldn't help me much as far as securing another loan. I intend (at this point) to rent it; and I already have a potential renter - someone who lives and works here; not a college student (so it won't be only seasonal rent).
 And if it turns out that I have to sell just to secure a loan for a place in Cary; then so be it. No hurt feelings here.

So, as you can probably guess; I suppose I'm going.

In fact I've already started looking for places.

http://www.remax.com/property/84915174-60470227/202-Fancy-Acres-Ln-Carthage-NC-28327/

http://www.remax.com/property/81208433-60470227/214-Fancy-Acres-Ln-Carthage-NC-28327/

I like the first one building-wise; but the second one has EIGHT ACRES with it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:45:18 PM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

« Reply #833 on: September 25, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »

Spend five months looking for a new job and documenting every shady employer practice you can find to get leverage for a severance package to let you live on while you continue looking.
The severance is 2 weeks for every year of service. For me = 20 weeks (10 years).
  And it's VerizonBusiness; they have their asses covered as far as trying to find shady practices.

Don't move under those conditions, imo. It's clear that your employer doesn't plan around their employees at all; I would wager it's only a matter of time before they screw you even harder.
They never have planned around employees; this is big business. In fact; they don't even plan using logic.
 Why would you take a group that telecommutes entirely (meaning it makes no difference where the office is; whether in Alpharetta, GA or Cary, NC) and
 have them relocate (or resign) simply to work from an office space? Why not just start calling Cary, NC the new "HQ" or whatever; and let us just drive on doing what we do?
  (Answer: They don't want anyone telecommuting. Reason: If employees can do the work reliably from home; many management positions become unnecessary.)

All of the applications we use are hosted on servers in other states; we vpn into Verizon's network and thus have access to everything we need. Now, for no real reason; everyone will have to report to an office in Cary, NC daily to work their shift.  Currently we employees buy our own broadband at home; so for us to access and work costs the company nothing. It also saves us employees in fuel, and/or hotel rooms (we have one guy in FLA, one in TN, one in NC, and the rest of us in GA).
  Presently; we will have to have an entire building, site, and utilities on and operating 24/7, usually with Security Guards on duty, in addition to each employee having to drive in to the office and then home again at the end of the shift.

THAT is VerizonBusiness's idea of an environmentally Green, cost-cutting, practical solution to an existing, non-problematic, smoothly operating situation.

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »

That's about an hour away from the house my dad owns.  Once he retires there, we can do lunch sometime when I visit him.

12AX7

« Reply #835 on: September 26, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »

That's about an hour away from the house my dad owns.  Once he retires there, we can do lunch sometime when I visit him.

That would be awesome! :-)

12AX7

« Reply #836 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »

Hmm.

Slight change of plans.

I am now not looking to buy property in NC. Rent; yes, buy - nope.

For some reason, not only are they consolidating all of our app servers in one place (in Cary); but they've also implemented time-out security
 on all of them. This is totally new; and totally unnecessary  - unless!

unless the long range plan is to offshore my entire group. Avaya's NOC is in the Phillipines, and our own Helpdesk is in India. When we call our own helpdesk
 NOW; we are classified as an "offshore resource". Here; in Georgia. They call us "offshore resource".  Umm... Weird Tingly Feeling?
  If *I* were going to have a group accessing my app servers from a foreign nation, I would probably implement more security as well; in addition to what is already in place.

Also there's the matter of sticking employees with the choice of "go and work" or "stay and quit". WHY would you do that to a group who telecommutes and costs the company nothing to access and work?? To get rid of a chunk of EMPLOYEE$ (who it is very hard and expensive to get rid of), backfill those positions with CONTRACTORS (who can be let go at a moments notice for no reason); have the remaining employees train the Indians or Filipinos, then

WHAM! The group goes overseas and they give us remaining employees options to go with the job or quit.

I can see that happening almost clear as daylight. So then I'd be fucked; having a house note here in Georgia, AND a house note in Cary, NC; and being RIFed from my job.

So, no thanks. Renting I will probably do; but I have to find a house with a landlord who allows dogs. Apartments are out of the question.

FML  :|

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 28, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »

Sounds like you've got their gameplan, 12. Sorry to hear about it, though.  :-(
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #838 on: September 30, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 12, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »

Today's rant: Scripted co-workers.

My direct boss: (If conversation=1, then start each sentence with "You realize, " end sentence with ", right?" regardless of topic) "You realize that, back in the ancient days, druids were actually space aliens, right?" "You realize that I love to proclaim assumptions that you know the same things I know about idiotic topics that nobody actually gives two shits about, that way when you say no, I sound so much smarter than you, right?"
Also, (If silence = longer than 10 minutes, then goto "overused jokes") "ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER NICKLE AFTER TAXES" <--repeat every time somebody walks in to the room.
Sometimes he changes the script to start every sentence with "Basically, ....." but those are more rare.

Then there's this one guy who makes it a point to always enter the room halfway into a verse from "Good Morning America, How Are You". Won't say a damn thing until he's got the door halfway open then he bursts into mid-verse. HAY I'M MAKING PEOPLE THINK I COME TO WORK SINGING I'M SO COOL!

I work with robots.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #840 on: November 12, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »

I work with one guy who starts every sentence with the word "So...", and another coworker whose response to everything anyone says is "Fair enough".

It's very distracting.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #841 on: November 12, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »

My boss has the same ending to each sentence but not the same antecedent.  I keep on responding with either "Correct", or by explaining why it is incorrect.  I'd like to campaign to remove the dual meaning.  Right should be a direction not an affirmation.

Pyrenus

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +30/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 23, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »

Co:  I updated the change log with the changes!
Me:  Ok, I'll remove my entry then since I had already logged it.  (edits quickly)
Co:  Did you just update it?
Me:  Yes.
Co:  I don't see your entry??

12AX7

« Reply #843 on: March 09, 2011, 07:07:37 AM »

The same asshole who did away with telecommuting and forced an entire group to uproot and relo or lose their jobs scheduled an "All Hands Meeting" this morning. The night shift gets off at 6am, when the first people on day shift come in. This asshole schedules the meeting at ... 6am? Nope. 6:30? . . .7? ..nah.
 He has the consideration to schedule it at 7:30; making the entire group sit here for an hour and a half cos he can't get his fucking sorry ass out of bed and get to the office before then.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #844 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »

That guy sounds kind of evil. Don't stand directly next to him since he sounds like he's liable to shoot someone to make a point.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 13, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »

Alright. To make a long, boring story short, my project at work has a Wiki-based table online which gets updated by everyone in the project. Project members update the table with various information.

There is one particular field in the table which is for my use only and which clearly states this. Throughout the course of the project, I have probably sent 4-5 emails regarding this as well as mentioned it numerous times in our meetings. However, project members continue to modify the field.

I wrote this email today about not modifying the field:
"
. . .

Just don't do it. Just say no. This field is not your friend. Mutant Kansas groundhogs will burrow themselves into the foundations of your home and murmur suggestive groundhog messages into your ear while you sleep. You will spend thousands of dollars on therapy trying to understand why you have a sudden craving for grass and insects. The therapist will have you committed to an asylum where you will be surrounded by your former coworkers who whisper things like "groundhog day approaches". You will slowly lose your mind after realizing you've hibernated through the entire winter. And right before your mind is about to break, I will send you a letter which reads simply . . .

"You shouldn't have modified the 'Submitted' field."

. . .
"

Think they'll get it?
(I contemplated putting this is Writer's Corner, BTW).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:51:59 PM by Novice »
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #846 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »

Bwahahahaha, even if they don't, it's still got to be at least a little satisfying on your part!   :lol:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

• not 11
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +33/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »

ah HAH. I knew it.

A while back I told you guys I was suspicious of Verizon having us move to NC. I assumed we were soon to be axed. Well, it isn't happening the way I predicted, but it IS happening.

Yup. Verizon will no longer be in the Customer Premises Equipment business. No NOC Center, no field techs, no PBX's, no business equipment - period.
  My job: monitor business equipment in the NOC center, troubleshoot PBXes, and dispatch field techs.

Dunno what Im gonna do yet. They aren't cold-turkeying; it will be a phase-out type thing; when each customer's contract expires it won't be renewed. The contracts will be all expired by 3rd quarter next year.
 So I have time to react, at least.

Socrates

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +123/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 09, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »

That does suck, start looking now for the new job
--this space intentionally left blank--

Min

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »

It feels great to be right!

Oh wait, no it doesn't.  I'm sorry.  That sucks.  I hope you find something quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36