The Geek Forum

• May 13, 2024, 07:01:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129629
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Kiteboarding  (Read 2449 times)

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Kiteboarding
« on: May 05, 2007, 08:38:39 PM »

I reply to 12AX7's post - so as not to derail that thread...

It's really not that hard to get into kiteboarding.

You need to live within an hour - or so - of a large body of water (unless you don't mind driving.)
You need to take a couple of lessons. 
You need some gear.

You don't have to have any exceptional strength.  As you can see in the pictures, I can ride one-handed.  The power of the kite goes to the harness you wear around your waist.

Lessons: 
Before you take lessons, I suggest that you buy a small foil (traction) kite like this one which you can easily sell after you're done with your lessons.  Or, you can pass it on to a friend that you'd like to get into kite boarding.  Spend as many hours as you can flying this trainer.  Fly it - on a control bar, not handles - until you can LITERALLY fly it with your eyes closed.
When it comes to the lessons, most places can get you up and going in a few hours.  The learning curve for kiteboarding is not as steep as it is for windsurfing.
If you're seriously interested, tell me where you live and I'll find a place nearby that gives lessons for you.

Gear:
If you watch ebay, you can pick up quality used gear for a fraction of retail cost.
Kites: You'll need 2 or 3 of them.  Depending on your weight you'll need a 17 meter (or more) kite for light wind days, a 13 meter kite which will be your bread/butter kite and a 9 meter kite which will become your favourite kite despite the fact that you don't get to use it as often as you'd like.
Total cost for the 3 kites could range from $1,000 (used) to $3,000 (new)
Board: Most people can get by with one board.  A good board can be found on closeout for $400.  They don't lose their value much, so you're not going to find them on ebay for much cheaper than a new board.
Bar/Lines:  If you buy new, your kites may come with a bar and lines.  They may not.  If you need to buy them separately, you can get a top of the line bar and lines for $400
Harness: Typical harness will run you about $100.  Again, watching ebay can get you into one cheaper.

I started with 1 kite, a board, bar/lines and harness for $250 (kite), $399 (board), $100 (bar/lines), $169 (harness).
After one lesson ($150) - I was able to get up and ride down-wind.
Two years later, I'm jumping and doing tricks.  I've also spent an additional $2k on equipment since then.

This isn't a single-season sport, either.  With my wetsuit, I can ride almost year round.  When the water is frozen, we still ride.  However, instead of a water board, we strap on a snow-board and ride the snow/ice.  Snow kiting is the fastest growing winter sport in the world.  You don't need a hill/mountain.  You just need a big field, some wind and the same gear you use in the summer (with the exception of the board, of course).
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

Re: Kiteboarding
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 06:02:46 AM »

Hey thanks! :-)

That's exactly the information I was asking about; what's needed, and the start-up cost. It's a bit cost - prohibitive for me to start right now; I've just got so many things going on already feasting on my check. I am definately going to have to try it, tho. I'm in North Georgia; there's plenty of decent - sized lakes,  so I imagine there's lessons around close by.
  What's appealing to me about it is the apparent independance. No boat/driver needed; and you're going where YOU wanna go- not just being snatched along behind someone else's idea of where you should be heading. (Which, of course, is fun, too, in it's own way!)
  I do have a dumb question, though. When/how does the kite go up? Are you already in the water? If so, how do you manage launching it while treading water? Or do you launch from shore and then go in the water?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:59:50 AM »

You nailed it on why I love this sport.  When people don't know what it is and I have to describe the fun of  it, I tell them, "It's like wake boarding, but I'm driving the boat, too!"  The kiteboarding community in the Great Lakes area is tight.  Some of the best guys you'd ever want to know IMHO.

If you have room, the easiest way to launch is from the beach.  There, we have two different ways of launching.  With the first way, you ask your buddy to launch the kite for you. In this example you can see a buddy launch on a pretty narrow strip of beach.  When you don't have a buddy on the beach, you can weight down the kite (in launch position) with sand and then pull on the kite until the sand falls off and the kite launches.  I can't show you an example of this in video because it's not the safest method for beginners and nobody wants to endorse it.  If your lessons don't include this, ask for it.  You will need it eventually.

Water starts aren't difficult, especially with the newer kites/bars.  Here, you can see that I've crashed the kite into the water   When this happens, the first step is to get the kite to flip onto its back. like this and then the kite will naturally move into launch position and it's up to you to steer it into the air again.

BlackWidow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +29/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 05:27:05 PM »

Cool!  We saw some guys doing it in Mexico.  They looked pretty good and the waves were pretty crazy.  It looked SO hard. 

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:27:22 PM »

You know, I'm suprised I never got into it Biz. I mean, I live right next to the ocean for god sakes, and I've been interested in kites for a few years now. I guess I just have too many hobbies at this point and can't justify the expense when I know I won't have time to dedicate to it. My kiting time really dropped since I got my motorcycle too so... I guess I'd like to try it out at some point but probably not buy all the gear. And since I don't know anyone who's into it, I guess that won't happen anytime soon.

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »

DUDE!!  Discovery Channel; "Stunt Junkies"...

This dude just jumped a fricken ISLAND with a kiteboard!  This episode had some really kick ASS footage of some really good riders. I just may be looking into this a bit more in-depth than I orginally planned, hehe...

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:39:05 PM »

I'm thinking of building a parachute and attempting to fly off a hill from a toboggan towed by a friend's jeep at the bottom of the hill. Hopefully I'll think better of this before I have enough money.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:56:14 PM »

I was just imagining if some type of wheels were attached to the kiteboard. You could just fly around and land anywhere ...

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 06:22:23 AM »

That would be kitebuggying or kite-mountainboarding.  Both are gaining in popularity.  Both cause broken limbs.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:25:04 AM »

DUDE!!  Discovery Channel; "Stunt Junkies"...

This dude just jumped a fricken ISLAND with a kiteboard!  This episode had some really kick ASS footage of some really good riders. I just may be looking into this a bit more in-depth than I orginally planned, hehe...
That show did a lot to expose the sport to the general population, but it really was a lot of hype for nothing.  The guy used a landing ramp.  That was, without a doubt, the first (and probably the last) time that anyone has ever used a landing ramp for a kiteboarding jump.  And his jump wasn't all that remarkably high or long, either.