The Geek Forum

• May 09, 2024, 11:38:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129618
  • Total Topics: 7184
  • Online Today: 140
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Concerts  (Read 11653 times)

Scheherazade

• The Lorax Of Nose Pickers
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +177/-54
  • What is cheese but a corpse of milk?
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Concerts
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 09:20:35 PM »

Saw \../ DragonForce \../ last week.

They're pretty damn good live.

I'm seeing Dragonforce the day before Thanksgiving at the Starland Ballroom. Are they BETTER live, or just pretty damn good?

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »

I heard Dragonforce sucked live... and from what I've seen they do. They have really bad vocals (can't sing on key) and can't do any of the effects they do in studio... And I've heard that they sometimes perform drunk? (ex. The time Herman Li fell off the stage)

Oh, for corn's sake. Did you read what I posted? I actually went to a DF concert last week, not just googled them on youtube.

My point was, they have become a very good live band. In every way. They deliver. They've got the chops. I was expecting to see a bad live band, because I saw all the 2003-2006 cell-phone uploads on youtube, and read the reviews. But they've come a long way in 2 years.

Now, I'm not saying that they'll never put on a bad show again, or that Herman won't fall off stage drunk ever again, but they were great at the Wiltern last week.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »

I'm seeing Dragonforce the day before Thanksgiving at the Starland Ballroom. Are they BETTER live, or just pretty damn good?

Every band is different live vs. studio. "Better" depends on whether you prefer the energy of a live performance or the perfection of a studio production. All I will say is that I was impressed, and it's not even my favourite genre.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »

So what the hell is the point of posting accounts of first-hand experiences, only to have someone blithely claim the last word with 2-year-old hearsay, the discrediting of which was the point of my post in the first place?

Ivan: "DF has a bad reputation as a live band from their 2004-2006 tours. But I saw them Friday, and they were spot-on, pitch-perfect, entertaining and gregarious, and I was prepared to hate them. They have really practiced and improved tremendously in the last 2 years."

Banana: "People told me they really suck live."

Again, what is the point? I might as well post the goddam alphabet.

Not posting in this thread any more, even if I see fucking Frank Zappa risen from the dead.

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 09:16:43 PM »

So what the hell is the point of posting accounts of first-hand experiences, only to have someone blithely claim the last word with 2-year-old hearsay, the discrediting of which was the point of my post in the first place?

Ivan: "DF has a bad reputation as a live band from their 2004-2006 tours. But I saw them Friday, and they were spot-on, pitch-perfect, entertaining and gregarious, and I was prepared to hate them. They have really practiced and improved tremendously in the last 2 years."

Banana: "People told me they really suck live."

Again, what is the point? I might as well post the goddam alphabet.

Not posting in this thread any more, even if I see fucking Frank Zappa risen from the dead.

In the life of every college-age female, there has been a moment where she wants Ivan with the passion of a herd of charging wild mustangs. This is why we have Plan-B™.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »

For corn's sake.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »

I'm for corn's sake ... I heard they roxXorz everybody's tube, always the same live as in studio.

RubberFingerStan

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +10/-19
  • a coelo usque ad centrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »

DevilDriver were supposed to come to South Africa, but then Christian protests chased them away...now we wait another year or two before someone else attempts to tour this forsaken landfill...

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »

Noone wants to play Sun City, I guess.

Except for maybe Paul Simon.

kanca mosan

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +33/-31
  • Yeah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:39 AM »

Noone wants to play Sun City, I guess.

Except for maybe Paul Simon.

You lied!
It appears I am a paradoxal paradox.

Zwillinge

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »

Two weeks ago I saw the Stereophonics!
Kelly Jones in sunglasses and tight leather jacket, churning out all the hits  :lol: Good fun!

RubberFingerStan

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +10/-19
  • a coelo usque ad centrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »

That may be true. Apparently Michael Jackson used to spend plenty of time there at Sun City. Must be something about the little African children that cheered him up a bit.

uber.munkee

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-1
  • ERROR! Keyboard not detected: Press F2 to continue
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »

Went to see Airbourne last week!  What an awesome show.
munkee

"My crime is that of curiosity."

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 05:43:11 AM »

I went to see AC/DC last week.

Scheherazade

• Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »

On the 19th I'm going to see Titans of Tribute VIII, including such amazing tribute bands as Snakebite (Whitesnake), Bottoms Up (Van Halen), Theatre Of Pain (Motley Crue) and Wizard Of Ozz (Ozzy / Black Sabbath).

I'm really a sucker for good tribute bands. I've seen The Machine (Pink Floyd) twice, and Almost Queen (Queen).

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »

Last Friday (1/23/09) I went to see She Riffs (a tribute to 5 of the best female lead guitarists in the Bay Area) at the Red Devil Lounge in San Francisco.

Groovy Judy was the first band.  It was a three piece with her on guitar and vocals, a drummer (who seated looked like JY from Styx, but after he stood up it was obvious he was the midget version as he was only about 5' tall), and a skinhead keyboard player.  Judy was technically good with a nice stage presence.  Her vocals were clear and songs were pretty good.  I really liked If Jimi Had A Sister, but Billy should have replaced Jimi since here guitar work in this song reminded me more of ZZ Top.  All in all, nice set.

Shelley Doty was up next.  Another three piece with her on guitar and vocals, a six-string bassist (finger picker), and a drummer.  Shelly just oozed personality and was a total show off.  The band was tight and put on a good stage show.  My only complaint was that Shelly talked way too fast so she was hard to understand.  A most impressive guitarist and even better show-woman.

Scranton was up next.  They were a four/five piece with Margaret Scranton on guitar, a bassist (only four strings), a drummer, and then two female vocalists.  The sound was reminiscent of 80s hair metal.  I couldn't stand one of the vocalists, and the other had a lovely voice but the writing didn't really take advantage of that.  Margaret's playing was technically good but the band wasn't really together and the vocals were really off.  The least enjoyable set of the night.

Dolorata were up next.  This is my friend's friend's band and we've seen them about a half a dozen times now.  Everytime I see them they get even better.  All the members of the band are accomplished musicians and music teachers.  They are a five piece with Katie Coalpitts on lead vocals and lead guitar, Veronica Savage on bass (another four string bass player but she can play all styles and can really funk it up!), Emily Palin on violin (which works great in this band), Dori Sappo on rhythm guitar, and Dawn Richardson on drums.  These women are tight.  The songs have great transitions and killer hooks.  The dueling guitars of Katie and Dori are fantastic and most songs will seamlessly feature each of the players.  Dawn and Veronica provide a superb rhythm section allowing the other three a great platform to build upon.  Emiliy's violin solos surprisingly fit in well with the hard rock music that is Dolorata.

Sticks and Stones headlined, featuring the guitar prowess of Gretchen Menn (who also plays in the all female Zeppelin cover band Zepperella).  Sticks and Stones is a three piece with a drummer (with a really bad hair metal perm reminiscent of 1982) and another guitarist.  They started off with a medley cover of Moby Dick and Kashmir from Led Zeppelin, then played seven other original tunes.  Both guitarists are quite accomplished and play off of each other really well.  All of the songs were instrumentals only, reminding me of a more prog-rock Gore.  They also kind of reminded me of Joe Satriani.  Definitely rocking.  Definitely interesting.  But a got a little bit long and self-indulgent as the set went on.  I guess my not being a drug user hindered complete appreciation for the seemingly unendless jamming.  Anyway, they were definitely more palatable than Phish which must require mass quantities of hallucinogens.

A fun night.  My biggest complaint is the hours and the drive.  Why can't San Jose have more venues?  The hour drive to SF plus the half hour drive to find parking plus the hour drive back, coupled with the late start of 9pm together with five bands made it so I didn't get home uptil almost 3am a full five hours past my bedtime.  Why can't shows start earlier so that us people who live in the real world don't have to sacrifice sleep?

Stitch

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +19/-38
  • What that smell like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 06:21:05 AM »

On Feb. 25 I'm going to see Avenged Sevenfold, Buckcherry, and Papa Roach. I get to go backstage and get autographs and get fucked up with the bands. It'll be good times.

WickedWizard

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +9/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »

Concerts Thus Far
  • Doctor,Doctor /w The Sky's Revolt
  • Mountian Goat and Friends
  • Thiefs and Friends
  • The Number Twelve Looks Like You and Freinds
  • Red Hot Chille Peppers

Schedualed So far
  • Tool
  • Doctor,Doctor
The Characters and incidents portrayed and the names used
are fictitious and any similarity to the names, characters,
or history of any person is entirely accidental and
unintentional.
                        Signed RICHARD M. NIXON

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:12 AM »

May 13th, The Black Crowes

Probie

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +223/-5
  • The natural nap catalyst
    • View Profile
    • SoggyBlog
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 05:18:09 AM »

lynyrd skynyrd end of may!
// ------- Probie ------- //
// ----------------------- //
// --- T3H GEEKERY --- //
// ----------------------- //
www.niccisixx.com - I can put this here, because I'm awesome.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 01:45:47 PM »

Went to see a show in Santa Cruz last night.  The venue The Crepe Place on Soquel over by the whole paycheck foods.  The bands:

Stripmall Architecture-formerly Halou and they were fabulous as usual, sans Erica the cellist but their performers are usually 5+/-2 so this is par for the course.
Mountain Animal Hospital-musically sound, but the front man was annoying and it would have been more enjoyable as a three piece.  The other guitarist played finger-style electric.  Not something you see everyday.
Oso-Great show.  They're out of Santa Barbaria.  Check them out!  They are a four piece and feature a violinist/fiddler and are put on an electirc/accoustic sandwich with accoustic as the bread and electric as the filling.  For the bread parts, the guitarist plays while riding a unicycle!  The music is kind of a Victim's Family-esque thrash take on traditional folk music.  The crowd was frenetic.  I'm glad I suffered through the middle band's horrible front man and sacrificed sleep to stay for this set.
Pages: 1 [2]