The Geek Forum

• May 14, 2024, 10:02:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129631
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Fantasy Novels on Screens Large and Small  (Read 2586 times)

Double Botch

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +9/-2
  • We're so screwed.
    • View Profile
Fantasy Novels on Screens Large and Small
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:20:58 AM »

I'm not sure if this has been posted about before or not, but at the time of my posting the search function seems to have wandered off and left an error message in its place.

Two Authors - Terry Goodkind & Robert Jordan. If you don't know them, then go read all their books and then come back to discuss. Quickly, chop chop. Done? Great. 

One is going to get royally violated in a most unmanly, or uber-manly depending upon your persuasion, fashion by the conversion of his work to a television series. The other's work is being translated into a big budget series of movies and I'm scared but hopeful.

Firstly, the violation. Terry Goodkind's Seeker of Truth series is being turned into Legend of the Seeker and it is going to suck harder than a Taiwanese hooker with a dust buster up her ass.

The online preview shows horrible acting, except maybe for the guy playing Zed. But they screwed around with his character and it doesn't seem that he is Richard's grandfather anymore, which eliminates so much of the original story that it kills the show for me immediately.

What's really funny is that they have decided to try and stick to the main plot line fairly closely once they finished gutting the character relationships.

I hope to god that I'm wrong and that maybe the previews were just very poorly produced. So poorly that they failed to convey the proper relationships between the characters. And also that the editors somehow managed to choose the very poorest examples of dialog, because the delivery I saw was horrible.

Also, I think that the series is so bad that they still haven't found a network to carry it. Last I checked, the trailer simply said "check your local listings". Which says to me, "oh shit, we're fucked. Hopefully someone will pick up the series if we can build enough internet hype."

So much fail.

Secondly, Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series is being brought to the big screen. I don't recall by whom or when but hopefully it will get the kind of backing that Lord of the Rings had and will be executed with absolute respect for the novels.

These books have the potential to be excellent movies, but I'm afraid that the expectations will be too high for the movie to meet. Here's hoping.

Thoughts, comments, gripes, complaints? Please share.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Novels on Screens Large and Small
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:50 AM »

As a general rule, though not always obeyed, movies based on fantasy novels do well on a stand-alone basis. As in, on their own, they're half-decent movies, but when compared to the book, they suck.
Why?
Because fantasy novels are filled with hours upon hours of content that a movie producer couldn't fit into a six part mini-series even if he had a limitless budget. So, shit gets shuffled. In the shuffling, some of it may fly into the path of a fan.
Conclusion, it was a nice movie and I pretend it had nothing to do with that book that I read that just happened to have the same name. But then, I'm not human, so you can ignore me.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Double Botch

• Jail Bait
  • We're so screwed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:51:28 AM »

True enough.

However, what's being done to the Seeker of Truth series goes way beyond the lossy conversion of book to film. They seem to be stripping many key elements right out of the plot. Like cropping an image to lower it's file size instead of compressing it. Fails all around.

But yeah, as far as Jordan's stuff, I expect some of it to get lost in translation. They'll truncate some of the tertiary plot lines for sure, but if they remain true to that intent of the author then it should be all kinds of win.

duwanis

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +5/-4
  • The Well-Bred Grapefruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »

As a general rule, though not always obeyed, movies based on fantasy novels do well on a stand-alone basis. As in, on their own, they're half-decent movies, but when compared to the book, they suck.
Why?
Because fantasy novels are filled with hours upon hours of content that a movie producer couldn't fit into a six part mini-series even if he had a limitless budget. So, shit gets shuffled. In the shuffling, some of it may fly into the path of a fan.
Conclusion, it was a nice movie and I pretend it had nothing to do with that book that I read that just happened to have the same name. But then, I'm not human, so you can ignore me.

And then there was LotR, which made it OK to do 3.5 hour epic movies.
And, really, who missed the scourging of the shire? Some smaller plot points and character traits aside, Jackson actually did a decent job of stuffing those movies.
"You come all this way out saying squat, and now you're trying to tell me that a '56 Chevy could beat a '48 Buick in a dead quarter mile?" ~ Buddy

My father taught me to kill the sunflower.

RubberFingerStan

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +10/-19
  • a coelo usque ad centrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

Robert Jordan Kicks Ass. Wheel of Time rivals any of th other Titans of fantasy.

Gemmel never got me, until later years...by then I had over-consumed...

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »

Geekiness and pedantry walk hand-in-hand, so somebody's going to be pissed off no matter HOW faithful the film adaptations are.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

RubberFingerStan

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »

What about Eddings 'Belgariad" ? Movie material, or potential fukup?

Double Botch

• Jail Bait
  • We're so screwed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »

And then there was LotR, which made it OK to do 3.5 hour epic movies.
And, really, who missed the scourging of the shire? Some smaller plot points and character traits aside, Jackson actually did a decent job of stuffing those movies.

Yeah, I'm just hoping that the Jordan books get that type of backing, not execution.

What about Eddings 'Belgariad" ? Movie material, or potential fukup?

I'm not familiar with Eddings. Recommended?

RubberFingerStan

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »

Oh fuck yeah. Give them a bash.

Are you a Raymond E Feist fan?

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »

I hope the Terry Goodkind movie keeps all the rape. It just wouldn't be the same with less rape.

Double Botch

• Jail Bait
  • We're so screwed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 02:04:04 AM »

Probably not, it would have to be good enough to warrant enough episodes for the plot to progress far enough for the rape to happen. So I doubt it.