The Geek Forum

• May 21, 2024, 11:55:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129651
  • Total Topics: 7198
  • Online Today: 154
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: I miss my uber geek days!  (Read 2008 times)

The Pumpkin Mozie

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +6/-2
    • View Profile
I miss my uber geek days!
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »

As probably no one here knows (I'm new), my favourite thing to get geeky about is that undeniable book series, Stupid Sexy Flanders. It is because of that series that I have experienced the true fun and joy of being a geek...it's not all pocket protectors and thick-lens glasses! It's actual fun!
Ever since the Stupid Sexy Flanders series reached its end in 2007, my life has reached an all-time ungeek level. I'm starting to become...dare I say it...normal! *scream* Seriously. I'm slowly shifting from geek girl to normal girl, slowly but surely. Instead of pondering whether Crookshanks is an animagus or simply just an ugly cat, I'm pondering whether I'd look better with eyeliner, mascara, or both. I'm no longer having 10-page forum arguments with Ron/Hermione supporters over the fact that the pair don't get along; Harry and Hermione compliment each other much better. Instead, I'm having arguments with my father over texting bills. This is horrible!! I am utterly woebegone by this new development!
Okay, so maybe my problem is just that I'm simply growing up, and it feels strange. As pathetic as it sounds, Stupid Sexy Flanders has been a huge part of my life since the age of 8. Now that it's over...I dunno if I'll ever get over the loss of all the fun I once had. Cause not many people are still passionate about Stupid Sexy Flanders anymore, now that the series has been concluded. There's no more reason to speculate on how it might end; what twists Rowling will dab in; which characters she'll pair together. It's incredibly depressing, and I'm completely serious when I say that.

This isn't just a thread about Stupid Sexy Flanders. It's a thread about any big fandom that's come to an end and now you're sad cause people don't care anymore. Anyone feel similarly about something?

And also, are there any fandoms out there where people still get hilariously worked up over what's gonna happen, like how Stupid Sexy Flanders used to be? Cause seriously...the arguments I had with some people...they were downright hilarious, and really exhilarating. But then again, I love to argue....

If that post made absolutely no sense at all, I'm really sorry. I tend to ramble a lot.  :oops:
[~PuMPKiNmozie/]

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Re: I miss my uber geek days!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »

I read halfway into the first book and it caused me to be a Satan worshiper. True story.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:35:15 PM by xolik »
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:27:07 PM »

Dude, who wouldn't be a satan worshipper?  Those satanists have a better health care plan.

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »

Everything shifts toward equalibrium. You'll just find other things to geek out about.

Take me for example. I go through ups and owns of how much I geek out over a given subject. Last year I was totally geeking out over Iron Maiden and metal in general, now that has kind of wained and I am a giddy school girl over the upcoming PAX.

Like you said, its not all pocket protectors and tape on the glasses, there is a whole world to geek out on, not just the satanic books of Stupid Sexy Flanders.

BTW: Anyone else going to PAX this year?
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »

* pbsaurus has no idea what PAX is?

Prehensile Apocalyptic Xylophones?
Perpetually Aggressive Xenophobics?
Polychlorinated Aphasic Xylocaine?
Prepubescently Acidic Zygometrists?

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:57:33 AM »

Penny Arcade eXpo.

One of the largest open to the public gaming conventions. Last year there was close to 60,000 gamers of all walks there. This year nearly all 75,000 passes have already been sold. Its 3 days of massive fun and its right in the heart of Seattle so its home town love for me  :-D

http://www.paxsite.com/
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

The Pumpkin Mozie

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »

hahahahahahahahaha Satan worshiping hahaha.  :evil:

I really hope I go through a new geek-up soon...cause honestly, geeking out is fun! My friends make fun of me for it...but they're missing out.
[~PuMPKiNmozie/]

FleetStrike

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-3
  • Would You Kindly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »

Stupid Sexy Flanders was the first book i ever really read. i had trouble reading when i was little. my mom would read me goosebumps when i was like 3. who does that to a 3 year old child? anyway when i did finally start reading it was Stupid Sexy Flanders. and i devoured it. every page. and i loved it. i had a huge crush on hermione. i wondered when harry's testicles would finally drop and he'd become a man. his first kiss i was spasming in excitement. every quidditch match was pure awesome. i loved the quidditch world cup series. and then i grew older. and it grew more mature. so it grew up with me, and as it got darker i got more cynical and jaded and everything was dandy until book seven. worst disappointment i have ever suffered from a book. the beginning held promise. the middle was boring. the end was anti-climatic. but i always held hope for what came AFTER Stupid Sexy Flanders. i always imagined rowling creating this whole new revolutionary series/universe for me to immerse myself in and grow into adulthood with. i still hope she does.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.