The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 11:31:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129568
  • Total Topics: 7158
  • Online Today: 278
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BSoD  (Read 9560 times)

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
BSoD
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »

Everything I've looked up online has told me to download a registry cleaner to my laptop to fix this error. I have several problems with this
A. I already have a registry cleaner on it and B. How the hell do you install soemthing on a computer that BSoDs on start up. In other words I can't even see my desktop before it BSoDs. 3. And finally, I am no logner comfortable downloading software like registry cleaners and such off the internet as I have a suspicion that may have caused my BSoD in the first place.

Now my questions.

Is it better just to take my baby to professional have them dump everything, because there is nothing important on the laptop itself? Is there a way I can dump everything myself... keeping in mind there is nothing of value on the laptop, all that information is elsewhere.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: BSoD
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

Have you attempted safe-mode? If you can at least get to the desktop, a system restore might work. I'm not sure you even have to get to the desktop in order to run that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:53:24 PM by Novice »
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »

reinstall, saves time.

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »

Another vote for reinstall here.  If you already have your data backed up elsewhere, just blow it away and start from scratch.
* Demosthenes puts on his Linux hat

And since you're blowing it away and starting from scratch, now would be a good time to give something different a try.

No registry cleaners, no BSODs, no viruses, no adware, just a usable computer.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »

But then again Wunderkind if you need to save data, try to download a HIRENS boot cd to get some of your data back. I take it it's XP  reinstalling it without formatting won't erase any data unless it's damaged.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:19:13 PM »

Novice, I attempted a System Restore when it first happened, it gave me a "System Restore Failed" and crashed. Now I can't get past the Windows loading screen. :x

There is no data that needs to be saved. I'm smart enough to put all save-worth pr0n on an external hard drive or USB drives.

Thanks Demo, once I learn more about safe mode and/or reinstall I'll see about downloading it. I'm not sure what version of what we have lying around that I can reinstall with.  :|

The computer isn't worth enough for me to spend any serious money on it. I just need something to limp around on until I can save up enough for something new and not a Dell.  :-P
I'm looking at Toshibas right now...
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 11:28:53 PM »

If it's a Dell, it should have came with a set of System Restore discs. That will wipe it out and put whatever OS was on it when you first bought it. Good thing is that you're starting clean again, bad thing is you'll need to immediately run Microsoft Update and apply about a bajillion service packs\patches on it.

Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:07:04 AM »

I have a software question. I just recently considered purchasing the key for my trial of Office2007 (was on my laptop when I bought it). WHAT.

THE

FUCK

is worth $500 in this application? ? ? ? ?

JEEEEZ... the fricken OS doesnt cost that much. That's beyond ridiculous; its plain stupid. FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS? ?

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:28:11 AM »

Jeepers. I was lucky enough to have a suitemate in the dorms that gave me one of his copies of Office '07. OpenOffice that mess.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 08:04:07 AM »

Two words: student discount
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

If you don't know anyone with a .edu or .cc email address, go enroll at the local CC for a one-hour credit (assuming they're listed here).  They'll give you a student email address.  It'll cost you $75??
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:07:39 AM by BizB »
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »

Microsoft Office 2007 is a steaming pile.  If you have MS Office 2003, stick with that instead.  If you're worried about the new lock-in native file formats, don't worry, MS has a free compatibility pack that works with previous versions of Office.

That's a hell of a lot better than screwing around with Office 2007, believe me.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »

If it's a Dell, it should have came with a set of System Restore discs. That will wipe it out and put whatever OS was on it when you first bought it. Good thing is that you're starting clean again, bad thing is you'll need to immediately run Microsoft Update and apply about a bajillion service packs\patches on it.

The problem is I didn't purchase this thing. It was given to me as part of my college stuff. So it didn't come with any discs at all.  :x I was ripped off.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »

I have discovered that XP is a virus that will not be removed from your machine... ever... ever... It just stays there no matter how hard you try to pry it loose. I'm beginning to think gutting it and throwing it out into the front yard and sledge-hammering it would work better. I would feel better anyway... no less stupid, but better.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 02:47:43 PM »

I have discovered that XP is a virus that will not be removed from your machine... ever... ever... It just stays there no matter how hard you try to pry it loose. I'm beginning to think gutting it and throwing it out into the front yard and sledge-hammering it would work better. I would feel better anyway... no less stupid, but better.

Lemme guess... you found a partition on the hard drive that XP has its claws into and you can't get rid of it?

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »

Here.  Some appropriate wallpaper might make you feel better.

12AX7

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:05 AM »

Microsoft Office 2007 is a steaming pile.  If you have MS Office 2003, stick with that instead. 

Well, the only reason I looked was I was building a detailed contact list in Outlook to save and load on my phone; and I was using up my 29 free app openings building it. When I saw it was $499.99, that decided it for me. I tried a couple of keys from my brother (he builds pc s on the side); but they didnt work. So I installed Office2000 , which is the latest I have; and works just fine for home use. Then I tried to import what I had already built in MSO2007 into MSO2000; thats when I came upon the incompatibilities and whatnot. In the meantime, I had also uploaded my phone's contact list to the List in Outlook2007; then deleted the list off of the phone. I then edited the contacts in Outlook, compiling the numbers, emails, streetaddys, etc .  At this point I hooked up the phone and hit "sychronize". . . so it did. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to change the direction of synch. So it synched my Outlook list TO my EMPTY PHONE, and totally wiped out my entire contact list.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 06:42:10 AM »

Technology: Making our lives easier every day.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »

I should point out that the only reason I "need" MS Office is because my phone has WinMobile and uses ActiveSync to update. There's no other way to get the contact list on the phone updated except to punch it in manually. It sees .csv , ldif, and other files; but the phone has no import / export function. So I'm basically tied to MSOffice if I want to import anything. I can Bluetooth files over; but again- no import/export.
   Personally, I use Thunderbird for email and to maintain my contacts list. Outlook just doesn't agree with me; even at work where we HAVE to use it.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 09:48:29 AM »

Just be glad you don't have to use that crapheap Lotus Notes. I used to admin that POS back in the day and it was the biggest headache ever...
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »

Um. We DID use Slowtus Notes for a looooong time; and STILL use Sametime IM (courtesy of SlowtusNotes).  :-(

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »

Lemme guess... you found a partition on the hard drive that XP has its claws into and you can't get rid of it?

Something like that. I'm sure a good portion of it was user error too. But it's gone now and that's all that matters.

12AX7

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 10:11:52 AM »

Well you're posting, so I guess you didn't go the sledgehammer route...

Wunderkind

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »

No, my mom actually stepped in and fixed it which made me feel really dumb for a few minutes. I'm not putting internet on my laptop just yet for various reasons so I'm still posting from the ancient computer in the den.

12AX7

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »

No, my mom actually stepped in and fixed it which made me feel really dumb for a few minutes.

I believe this is the very first time I've ever heard of the parent fixing the kid's comp, lol.

Pages: [1] 2