The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:52:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 270
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Merry May Day!  (Read 16308 times)

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
Re: Merry May Day!
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »

As is punctuation (a question, even a rhetorical one, should be punctuated with a question mark).
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 04:20:42 PM »

I don't think ivan was asking a question?

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »

Because surprise is a function of the brain.

Or maybe because you're generally full of shit.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »

I don't think ivan was asking a question?

Evonus: Why am I not surprised.

Ivan: Because surprise is a function of the brain.

Tach (in response to Ivan): As is punctuation (a question, even a rhetorical one, should be punctuated with a question mark).

Evonus: Or maybe because you're generally full of shit.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:04 PM »

I think we'd both probably need question marks. Oh well, I'm not losing sleep over it.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »

"If you combine alcohol with aspirin, you face an increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding. And if you use alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), you increase your risk of liver damage. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration requires all over-the-counter pain relievers and fever reducers to carry a warning label advising those who consume three or more drinks a day to consult with their doctors before using the drug."

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

That's a source, I'm sure I could easily find more. There's also the fact that it's been in every book concerning pharmaceuticals I've ever looked at. If it's a myth, it's a well published one.

Evonus, if you feel you are being unjustly targeted, then I fervently urge you to place me on your ignore list. I can't imagine why someone would willingly subject oneself to repeated insult, unless one enjoys it on some level. Not to mention the fact that you repeatedly invite strong reaction to your careless remarks.

The remark that I challenged was this: "Alcohol and aspirin really aren't good together." You posted this remark with no qualification, so I challenged it. My argument is, essentially, that aspirin and alcohol are about as harmful together as they are seperately. Of course this piqued your vanity, since -- God knows why -- you labor under the idea that every one of your utterances must be cherished and accepted without question or challenge by the rest of humanity. So you did what any internet-savvy cretin would do, and Googled "aspirin alcohol". Then, brainlessly, instead of analyzing the findings gained by your painstaking research, you blithely cut and pasted something that on its face appeared to corroborate your initial ignorant utterance.

But that's not the funniest part. The funniest part was this:

There's also the fact that it's been in every book concerning pharmaceuticals I've ever looked at. If it's a myth, it's a well published one.

My brain, upon absorbing those words of yours, almost shook itself out of its skull from the violent vibrations of suppress laughter. In fact, if it were not for the proximity of other humans whom I hold in high enough regard not to wish to distract with meaningless (to them) noises, I believe I would have hooted. Even now I find myself suppressing wavelets of mirth.

How many is "every"? One? Two? Three? Four? Ten? Twenty? And yet, having such extensive and erudite publications at your fingertips, you still chose to Google an internet source in your quest to smash my rebuttal. I suppose I must accept, with chagrin, that this is a measure of the contempt you hold for me. I suppose you consider me incapable of understanding or accepting an exerpt from a scientifically advanced source. So it is with great sadness that I must remove myself from this and all further debate. You are unbeatable. You will prevail in every argument. I am chastened and crushed. I leave it to others on this site to either learn at your feet or -- if they dare -- timorously question your words.

By the way, for those of you who are not as brilliant as Evonus, there is an interesting aspect to his citation (Evonus, you need not read any further, because you already know far more than I will ever know about anything. Seriously, stop reading. Go to the next post.) A whole bunch of OTC medications are going to carry the 3-drink-a-day caveat. I first noticed it a few weeks ago on a Nyquil package. Generally, a message warning users about the potentially harmful effects of mixing alcohol and medication are nothing new or surprising. Some combinations are clearly undesirable, for instance medications with a narcotic side-effect can cause heightened inebriation when consumed with alcohol. But this 3-drinks-a-day warning is something different. The FDA has now defined what constitutes "heavy" drinking.

Heavy drinkers put themselves at risk for all kinds of reasons. Heavy alcohol use compromises organs, the vascular system, the immune system, the brain -- everything. It's bad for you. Other substances besides alcohol, which a healthy body can absorb or withstand without problems, can be toxic to a person damaged by prolonged alcohol use. I think we all know that. But now, for the first time, we have a government-mandated guideline. According to the FDA, if you drink two drinks every day, you are ok. If you drink three drinks every day, you have crossed a line, and should ask your doctor whether it's ok for you to take Tylenol.

Of course, none of this is binding in any way. It's just words on a package. But I think this is the most vague, misleading and confusing caveat ever printed on a product. To start with, what's a "drink"? If I drink 6 drinks four days out of a week, and abstain the other three, am I a heavy drinker? If I'm 7 feet tall and weigh 350 pounds and drink three beers every evening, am I as heavy a drinker as someone who weighs 120 pounds and hammers down 3 martinis before lunch?

Inquiring minds want to know.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »

What did you expect from a government that taxes alcohol?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »

FDA labelling requirements are targeted to the herd, so by law they are required to be simplistic.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2007, 12:27:26 PM »

I'm surprised they were able to arrive at a number at all. There are many contradictory opinions regarding "safe" levels of drinking. If it weren't for the French Paradox thing, I think that number would've been set to ANY amount taken daily. However, all studies showing any supposed benefits of alcohol are subject to rebuttal. The same goes for aspirin. There is already a backlash against the "daily aspirin prevents heart disease" paradigm.

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »

I invoke Godwin's Law!

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."
-Adolf Hitler

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:04 PM »

Haven't used that in a while.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »

The FDA has been gutted over the years.  It's amazing that they get to do anything anymore.  For big decisions they have to reach consensus with FTA, or in the case of alcohol, ATF.  Plus they have to go through the HHS Secretary.  Then there are all the competing lobbies, from consumer activist groups, to MADD, to the alcoholic beverage giants.  I'm about halfway through Food Politics by Marion Nestle and the corruption in the government regulatory agencies, Congress, and the executive branch is amazing.

When the only sound in the empty street,
Is the heavy tread of the heavy feet
That belong to a lobbyist
The politicians open shop.

When the moon so long has been gazing down
On the wayward ways of this wayward town.
That her smile becomes a smirk,
I go to work.

Government for sale,
Appetizing young Government for sale.
Government that's fresh and still unspoiled,
Government that's only slightly soiled,
Government for sale.

Who will buy?
Who would like to sample my supply?
Who's prepared to pay the price,
For a trip to paradise?
Government for sale

Let the poets pipe of Government
in their childish way,
I know every type of Government
Better far than they.

If you want the thrill of Government,
I've been through the mill of Government;
Old Government, new Government
Every Government but true Government

Government for sale.
Appetising young Government for sale.
If you want to buy my wares.
Follow me and climb the stairs
Government for sale.
Government for sale.

Let the poets pipe of Government
in their childish way,
I know every type of Government
Better far than they.

If you want the thrill of Government,
I've been through the mill of Government;
Old Government, new Government
Every Government but true Government

Government for sale.
Appetising young Government for sale.
If you want to buy my wares.
Follow me and climb the stairs
Government for sale.
Government for sale.
Government for sale.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »

I invoke Godwin's Law!

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."
-Adolf Hitler

Thank Pepe, that means the thread is over.

Someone lock it, quick!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2007, 12:56:03 PM »

Agent has the power.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

It's sorta cool how it went full circle though from politics to something retarded to politics (possibly something retarded in itself I suppose).

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »

Evonus, if you feel you are being unjustly targeted, then I fervently urge you to place me on your ignore list. I can't imagine why someone would willingly subject oneself to repeated insult, unless one enjoys it on some level. Not to mention the fact that you repeatedly invite strong reaction to your careless remarks.

The remark that I challenged was this: "Alcohol and aspirin really aren't good together." You posted this remark with no qualification, so I challenged it. My argument is, essentially, that aspirin and alcohol are about as harmful together as they are seperately. Of course this piqued your vanity, since -- God knows why -- you labor under the idea that every one of your utterances must be cherished and accepted without question or challenge by the rest of humanity. So you did what any internet-savvy cretin would do, and Googled "aspirin alcohol". Then, brainlessly, instead of analyzing the findings gained by your painstaking research, you blithely cut and pasted something that on its face appeared to corroborate your initial ignorant utterance.

But that's not the funniest part. The funniest part was this:

My brain, upon absorbing those words of yours, almost shook itself out of its skull from the violent vibrations of suppress laughter. In fact, if it were not for the proximity of other humans whom I hold in high enough regard not to wish to distract with meaningless (to them) noises, I believe I would have hooted. Even now I find myself suppressing wavelets of mirth.

How many is "every"? One? Two? Three? Four? Ten? Twenty? And yet, having such extensive and erudite publications at your fingertips, you still chose to Google an internet source in your quest to smash my rebuttal. I suppose I must accept, with chagrin, that this is a measure of the contempt you hold for me. I suppose you consider me incapable of understanding or accepting an exerpt from a scientifically advanced source. So it is with great sadness that I must remove myself from this and all further debate. You are unbeatable. You will prevail in every argument. I am chastened and crushed. I leave it to others on this site to either learn at your feet or -- if they dare -- timorously question your words.

By the way, for those of you who are not as brilliant as Evonus, there is an interesting aspect to his citation (Evonus, you need not read any further, because you already know far more than I will ever know about anything. Seriously, stop reading. Go to the next post.) A whole bunch of OTC medications are going to carry the 3-drink-a-day caveat. I first noticed it a few weeks ago on a Nyquil package. Generally, a message warning users about the potentially harmful effects of mixing alcohol and medication are nothing new or surprising. Some combinations are clearly undesirable, for instance medications with a narcotic side-effect can cause heightened inebriation when consumed with alcohol. But this 3-drinks-a-day warning is something different. The FDA has now defined what constitutes "heavy" drinking.

Heavy drinkers put themselves at risk for all kinds of reasons. Heavy alcohol use compromises organs, the vascular system, the immune system, the brain -- everything. It's bad for you. Other substances besides alcohol, which a healthy body can absorb or withstand without problems, can be toxic to a person damaged by prolonged alcohol use. I think we all know that. But now, for the first time, we have a government-mandated guideline. According to the FDA, if you drink two drinks every day, you are ok. If you drink three drinks every day, you have crossed a line, and should ask your doctor whether it's ok for you to take Tylenol.

Of course, none of this is binding in any way. It's just words on a package. But I think this is the most vague, misleading and confusing caveat ever printed on a product. To start with, what's a "drink"? If I drink 6 drinks four days out of a week, and abstain the other three, am I a heavy drinker? If I'm 7 feet tall and weigh 350 pounds and drink three beers every evening, am I as heavy a drinker as someone who weighs 120 pounds and hammers down 3 martinis before lunch?

Inquiring minds want to know.

As I said I would (in a different thread), I am now cheering ivan on.  You have my full support.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

Awesome!

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »

Fact, I really don't give a shit about what you say, insulting or complimenting, that's why I haven't added you to my ignore list. I have 3 younger brothers, and I was the nerdy kid in school, I know what it's like to be aggravated every day from the time I get up, to the time I go to bed, and I've basically become resistant to being insulted. You can't get anything other than a giggle or a standard response from me without referencing my personal life.

I know this will come as a shock to you, because you can't believe that someone you don't particularly care for knows more than you about a topic, but this is my area of interest, and the area I am pursuing a career in, so hence, I know a little bit about it I'd think. I know a great deal about chemical reactions involving medications, I didn't read what I said on a bumper sticker, but you guys complain that I don't have a source, so I found one for you.

I don't have the sources with me still. Like I told you, this is the area I study, and thus I've been handed a few(3-4) pieces of literature containing this topic, none of which I still have, because I have nothing with me from school right now, because I'm not at school. Most sources I will ever present to you on this site will come from google, because I obviously can't show you a book or magazine I'm reading, and I don't get most of my information originally from the internet. Don't like it? Don't engage me in debate in the future.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »

I see.

How does aspirin chemically interact with alcohol? What byproduct is produced as a result of their reaction? How does that byproduct affect the human organism?

After you've answered that, please tell me the same with regard to alcohol and acetaminophen. How do they interact?

You can google it, and cut and paste the answers, but I would think that since it's your area of interest you can give me an illuminating answer off the top of your head.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »

I see.

How does aspirin chemically interact with alcohol? What byproduct is produced as a result of their reaction? How does that byproduct affect the human organism?

There isn't a reaction between the two chemicals, per se, at least as far as I remember. The alcohol serves as a catalyst to increase the negative affects of the aspirin, by making it more reactive with the lining of the stomach, as well as decreasing the pH of the gastrointestinal fluids.

After you've answered that, please tell me the same with regard to alcohol and acetaminophen. How do they interact?

You can google it, and cut and paste the answers, but I would think that since it's your area of interest you can give me an illuminating answer off the top of your head.

Acetometaphin I'm not as familiar with, I've only really seen the relationship of the two in one article a few years ago. I believe that acetometaphin reduces the livers ability to function, and obviously, as alcohol is metabolized in the liver, it prevents this from happening and causes a backup, but don't quote me on that one.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »

So, assuming I have no indications of liver disease or internal bleeding, would you say that I am at risk if I have a half-bottle or so of a 1982 Chateau Margaux with my roasted chicken, then take two 325mg aspirin tablets before bed?

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2007, 05:20:30 PM »

So, assuming I have no indications of liver disease or internal bleeding, would you say that I am at risk if I have a half-bottle or so of a 1982 Chateau Margaux with my roasted chicken, then take two 325mg aspirin tablets before bed?

Obviously it would depend on how fast you drank it. If you drank it all within the hour, I'd say that you could potentially damage the lining of your stomach.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2007, 06:40:23 PM »

Ah! Dang it! I've been doing it all wrong these last two decades!

Strange, however, that I haven't found any mention of this startling medical fact anywhere on the internet. It must be just now coming out of years-long research and testing.

We might also inform the FDA that their guidelines for aspirin and alcohol use is woefully inadequate:

Q. What should consumers who are taking low dose aspirin for disease maintenance or prevention know about alcohol use?

A. Patients who consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day should be counseled about the bleeding risks involved with chronic, heavy alcohol use while taking aspirin.

That should be revised to read:

A. According to Evonus, if a patient consumes 3 glasses of wine and 2 aspirin tablets in the course of one hour, he may damage the lining of his stomach, whereas drinking the 3 glasses alone, or taking the aspirin alone, will have no adverse effect on the lining of his stomach.

I'll bring this up with my doctor, too.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2007, 07:29:21 PM »

Ah! Dang it! I've been doing it all wrong these last two decades!

Strange, however, that I haven't found any mention of this startling medical fact anywhere on the internet. It must be just now coming out of years-long research and testing.

We might also inform the FDA that their guidelines for aspirin and alcohol use is woefully inadequate:

Q. What should consumers who are taking low dose aspirin for disease maintenance or prevention know about alcohol use?

A. Patients who consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day should be counseled about the bleeding risks involved with chronic, heavy alcohol use while taking aspirin.

That should be revised to read:

A. According to Evonus, if a patient consumes 3 glasses of wine and 2 aspirin tablets in the course of one hour, he may damage the lining of his stomach, whereas drinking the 3 glasses alone, or taking the aspirin alone, will have no adverse effect on the lining of his stomach.

I'll bring this up with my doctor, too.

Okay, feel free.

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »

Evonus, just because chronic heavy drinkers with compromised digestive systems should avoid aspirin does not mean everyone else should. Aspirin will not cause your stomach to bleed unless you ingest quantities far in excess of recommended dosages, no matter how much wine you drink that same hour, and unless your stomach is already compromised, in which case it will eventually bleed from alcohol or aspirin alone. If you hear of a case where a person with a healthy stomach suddenly starts bleeding after 3 glasses of wine and a couple of aspirin, let us know. Hell, publish it and get your doctorate.

See, Vespertine? It is useless. Someone impervious to logic cannot be budged. I fold.

You win, Evonus!  :-)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4