The Geek Forum

• May 11, 2024, 01:50:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129628
  • Total Topics: 7187
  • Online Today: 148
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Decency  (Read 4593 times)

Anonymous

Decency
« on: March 15, 2004, 04:38:36 PM »

http://www.geekforum.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13" target="BLANK">http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/demo_avatar_kane_screen_sm.jpg"> Submitted by Demosthenes

Decency.  

The big push right now is to "clean up America's airwaves".  The FCC is cracking down, raising fines to an exorbitant $500,000 per incident and numerous other bills are being proposed all over the country to make the world safe for children of parents who apparently are incapable of changing the channel on their own television sets -- or, better yet, turning them off -- or changing the station on their radios.

And for once, I think this is a movement I can really get behind.

I mean, we're talking about really bad stuff here, aren't we?  Stuff that children shouldn't have access to, right?

Janet Jackson's boob, profanity, violence, other nudity, sexually explicit terminology in books, movies, television programs, comics, graphic novels.

We as a nation need to put our foot down and draw the line somewhere.  I say we make tough, firm, ZERO TOLERANCE laws that will make it a crime to produce, or in any way distribute a movie, television show, or book that contains any levels of violence, nudity, or sexually explicit acts or even dialogue.

We gotta protect our kids, for Pete's sake!

We have to make it a crime for anyone to EXPOSE children to such things.

Who's with me?

Well, considering it's mostly the religious right that's on the warpath in the name of "decency" right now, it would appear that they are.

So, with that in mind, I fully expect to see them practicing what they preach.

Since violence, sexually explicit dialogue, descriptions, terminology, and other obscenities are harmful to children, we'll soon be seeing parents leaving their children at home on Sundays when it comes time to go to church.

No more Sunday school, I imagine... not unless they only teach the parts of the Bible that don't involve sex, incest, murder, violence of any kind, drunkenness, or anything else that could potentially harm a kid.

I mean, for decency's sake, think of the children.  Obscenity is obscenity.

I've read a lot of books in my time, people.  And I can't think of a single one with more of those things in it than the Bible.

So let's clean up America!  It's time we stopped warping our childrens' minds with sex, perversion, and sin!

I fully expect the religious right to support this notion... I mean, it IS, after all, their idea and their goal to make America decent and moral and safe for children, starting with television, movies and books... particularly the worst book of them all.

No, I don't mean Stupid Sexy Flanders.

I mean the book where a guy named "Lot" has sex with both of his own daughters, and goes unpunished by God.  The same God who then proceeds to destroy two entire cities for moral infractions.  The book where God tortures a good, faithful, loyal, and particularly pious man named "Job" needlessly, cruelly, horrifically, by slaughtering his family, afflicting him with boils, and ruining his life.  The book that describes in excruciating detail thousands of violent, despicable acts against human beings and animals.  I'm talking about the book that brutally advocates killing of men and women for bizarre and even petty crimes.  The book that goes into quite explicit detail of the sexual relations of dozens of people.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyone who really has any sense of decency would be appalled to know that some folks actually let their children read that filth.

It's time to take a stand, friends.  Let's clean up America!

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Decency
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 04:56:03 PM »

*sets the oven to Farenheit 451*
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Decency
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 04:58:11 PM »

In the very least it should be illegal to sell Bibles to anyone under 18.

Book stores should be carding people who want to buy that kind of material.

And parents exposing their kids to that kind of filth should be charged with a crime.  It's wholly inappropriate for children.

Of course, I can keep this up as long as the "think of the children" crowd keeps up its ridiculous crap about "decency".  Two can play at that game.   :evil:

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

Decency
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 05:07:44 PM »

Quote from: Demosthenes
And parents exposing their kids to that kind of filth should be charged with a crime.  It's wholly inappropriate for children.

I just wanted to stress that point. The bible is holy inappropriate for children!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Decency
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 05:12:38 PM »

I'm torn between laughing my stupid ass off and abusing the rolling eyes smiley.

So I'll do both.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

hackess

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +10/-0
  • DFG
    • View Profile
Decency
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 05:21:31 PM »

*Is laughing her ass off*

Revelations alone is full of violence worthy of a R-rating at a movie theater.

Ahh...sweet irony.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Decency
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:30:34 PM »

Oh no kidding.

And have you read Leviticus?   :shock:

Appalling!

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
Decency
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 05:49:01 PM »

The best way I found for me to not be offended by the stuff on television is a rather unique and 'outside the box' way of handling it. I don't watch it. The only thing I use my TV for is to play my old Nintendo games on. You can't make other people change. The only way a person can change is if that person decides to change.

You can't change society by banning everything in sight you find remotely offensive. The best thing you can do is live a virtuous life humbly. Lead by example, but don't shout in streets about it. Other people will notice, even though you aren't saying anything about it. Think about it. When someone is nice and polite to you, you remember it and feel good about it. It's not hard.

Too many people are out there acting good just for the praise. To all those who would legislate morality, I have a great idea. Why don't you all get together, pitch in and buy yourselves a nice private island. Form your own nation and run it any way you want to. Leave the rest of us alone.

**edit**

Posting a huge amount of text with no paragraph breaks....now that's obscene!  :lol:
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Decency
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 05:54:56 PM »

Well that's just it.

For instance, I find Howard Stern to be very unfunny.  I don't find him or his show humorous in the least.  It's pre-pubescent, juvenile, poopie and peepee humor that frankly just doesn't appeal to me.

I think the guy has some unhealthy obsessions as well.

That said, I can honestly say that my distaste for Howard Stern's form of "entertainment" is very easy to avoid.

Why, without even trying, I have managed to avoid listening to (and therefore being bothered by) his show for years.

I'm also offended by just about everything that comes out of Ann Coulter's mouth, pen, typewriter, or publisher.

And you know what?  I find myself a lot less offended by it when I don't go out of my way to read her, listen to her, or pay any attention whatsoever to her.

But there is ONE thing that I absolutely won't stand for.  I don't have kids, and I don't plan to, but if I did, I would NEVER put up with them being exposed to such a disgusting, vulgar, profane concept as government censorship.

Now THAT'S obscenity.  It makes me sick to my stomach.  :evil:

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Decency
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 06:09:32 PM »

I listen to Stern every once in a while.  Some of his stuff is funny, much of it isn't.  I was listening last Friday for about a half hour.  It now appears that he is becoming completely political and is fighting the system.  Kudos to him.  I hope whatever influence he has will act like Roundup on the Shrubbies.

Law

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mideastinfo.com
Decency
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 09:12:40 AM »

Nevermind that, how about the Song of Solomon? I learned more about sex in church than I did in school!
"I shall send down on you a rain of frogs that are impervious to fire but of little use otherwise." -- catwritr

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Decency
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 10:04:26 AM »

Quote from: Law

Nevermind that, how about the Song of Solomon? I learned more about sex in church than I did in school!

That's a good example too.

The entire book of "Job" makes me just ill though... to think that people are letting their kids read such a tale of blatant, arrogant sadism is beyond me.

It smacks of a cruel, evil little kid poking at his hamster in a cage with a sharp stick, and doing other mean things to it just to see what it does.

I mean seriously... even if such a God does exist, do you honestly want your kids to see this kind of creature as a role model?

And then those same people apparently have a problem with Howard Stern?

Puh-leeeeeze.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
Decency
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 09:59:24 PM »

Dude, just take it up with YHVH at his next poker game. See if you can catch a ride with Vishnu or something, or maybe a Bodhissatva. (One of them should be driving a caravan through your area.)

Just don't bug YHVH when he's gossiping with Lucifer. Conversation between the two of them typically drifts to talking about Satan, and the two of them get pretty heated.

Here's a tip: if Dionysus bows out, something's about to go down. (Typically speaking of course)
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!