The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 06:07:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: 3.5" Drive Bay  (Read 3242 times)

Anonymous

3.5" Drive Bay
« on: January 31, 2003, 08:43:10 PM »

Background:
We all know that heat is not a good thing for computers. And in today's world with computers being on more and more, and global warming being a very big problem in and around the New York Metropolitan area, I had to do something about my hard drive. Given that I always leave my computer on, the drive never spins down \(which would be a bad thing\) and summer is coming closer and closer, I came up with an idea that should take some of the heat off of the drive.

Supplies Needed:
There are not many supplies that you need to perform this mod:
  • None

The Run Down:
    If you are like me, I think of things after I have already done them. So right now, when I am typing this, I will think of something else that I should do to it later, like spell check it, or even publish it on the world wide web! But enough with that. I began this mod with an already modded case which I did about two weeks ago. All I did is took a dremel and cut a hole in one of the 3.5 Drive Bay covers so a fan could fit behind it blowing out. Nothing hard about it. After that was done, I put some screen in front of the hole to give it that "finishing touch" just to make it look extra mean. And I did. And boy did it look extra mean.

After about two weeks of use, I got the bright idea to reduce air restriction through that hole. And the only thing that was blocking air from coming out of there was friction and the screen - one of them had to go! So I chose the screen since I did not want to figure out ways to decrease friction since I don't even know where to start.

http://www.gotthegeek.com/mods/mod1/mod1.jpg" alt="" border="0">
    This is not good. I did not want this. I do not know why I did it in the first place.

Here's where the modding came in. I wanted to reduce air restriction and increase air flow, so I took out that damn screen, put the cover back on, and fired the computer back up. I can proudly say that I have another .01 CFM moving through that case, which makes a total of 750 CFM! That's like standing behind a jet engine!
    http://www.gotthegeek.com/mods/mod1/mod2.jpg" alt="" border="0">
    This is good. I wanted this. I do not know why I didn't do it in the first place.

Review:
    In order to do this mod you must first place something in the way of the air flow. Leave it for about two weeks till you finally realize what you have done, and then take action against it to improve air flow.