The Geek Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:42:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129469
  • Total Topics: 7101
  • Online Today: 54
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: You can't make this stuff up  (Read 8889 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
You can't make this stuff up
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »

From time to time I still get updates about job openings from when I was a student in college. I guess it's a good thing that they provide this kind of communication to their alumni in the event that they find themselves looking for a job proactively or become unemployed.  

What I didn't realize, though, is just how GULLIBLE younger graduates have become with respect to jobs. Actually, let me rephrase that. How GULLIBLE they have become with pretty much everything. Maybe this stems from them getting the bulk of their news from social media and thinking it's perfectly fine? Maybe high schools are letting kids down by only focusing on making sure that students pass a test?

I got an urgent email from DeSales University warning me about a scam that's been going around. I thought they were referencing the Gmail phishing scam that has been going around recently. Nope, this was something completely different. I thought it was something really bad. Was someone going to their job fairs on campus pretending to be an recruiter from a local organization only to be some kind of crazed rapist dressed in nothing but a trench coat? Are they requesting nude photos prior to being hired and then posting them on their website?

No. None of the above. Actually, they are soliciting college students for administrative positions and then directing the students to deposit phony checks into their accounts and turn around and TRANSFER FUNDS TO ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL BEFORE THE CHECK HAS EVEN CLEARED.

Apparently this kind of how the whole thing goes down according to IC3's website:

"You will need some materials/software and also a time tracker to commence your training and orientation and also you need the software to get started with work. The funds for the software will be provided for you by the company via check. Make sure you use them as instructed for the software and I will refer you to the vendor you are to purchase them from, okay."

"I have forwarded your start-up progress report to the HR Dept. and they will be facilitating your start-up funds with which you will be getting your working equipment from vendors and getting started with training."

"Enclosed is your first check. Please cash the check, take $300 out as your pay, and send the rest to the vendor for supplies."

Honestly, I find this to be quite sad that a university has to send out this kind of communication. No bells go off when they're being hired for this position and no I9, W4 or any other forms are filled out? True, maybe they are presented with phony forms to make it convincing, but I seriously doubt they go through this much trouble. They'll just move on to the next moron. More importantly, though, is that why is your "employer" instructing you to withdraw funds to give to someone else for equipment or software? And why would you dare turn over funds before the check has had a chance to clear?

At the very least there should be push back on the fact that the check must clear before doing anything else.

Seriously, what planet are we on that we have to be telling mid-20-somethings that checks don't clear right away?