The Geek Forum

• May 23, 2024, 01:02:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129658
  • Total Topics: 7202
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 5391 times)

Anonymous

What Would You Do?
« on: October 04, 2002, 02:18:47 PM »

I found this article on CNN to be amusing.

This got me thinking, "What would I do if someone here, or any other forum, decided to do that?"

After a few seconds of thought, I would have posted something to the extent of, "Do it, attention whore" or simply just the following image:
http://www.gotthegeek.com/images/icare.jpg

What if they really did do it then? Would I be held responsible for their death? Most likely I would judging by the US' messed up legal system.

What would you do? I think a lot of you would have the guts to say, "DO IT!"  :twisted:

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2002, 02:37:41 PM »

do it in the forest and decompose... hah

so yeah :( :( :( :( :(

it brings a couple people to mind ;)

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
What Would You Do?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2002, 02:43:59 PM »

That's almost freaky, dude.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
What Would You Do?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 04:17:13 PM »

I would encourage them to do so.  Lessens the competition on the resources on which I might want to consume.

airbag

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2002, 04:43:10 PM »

He would not be taken seriously and would have died.  :D
nobody reads this junk anyhow...

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
What Would You Do?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2002, 04:52:12 PM »

I'd say "thats the spirit! go ahead. Just dont forget a suicide note!"
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 10:14:00 PM »

Why would a crowd of people actually shout "Jump, bitch, jump"? Fuckin savages in this country....

*shrug* Guess I don't have that mindset.... Specially with what a freak my cousin is.... Says his friends are the only thing keepin him from offing himself. Bright ray of sunshine, that boy.

Heh, good argument to look at the Location in the post.

Dammit. I had a pic of the world's smallest violin. Where the **** is it.... This site coulda gotten a lot of use out of that pic....[/img]
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Daria

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2002, 03:54:27 AM »

I would like to say that I would be a caring person but I'd probably not take them seriously and tell them to shut the fuck up and do it.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
What Would You Do?
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2002, 03:55:49 AM »

Taken from Hn

Quote from: Tarzan
crossing the line in online games
the following was posted on two of the forums i regulary post on
1. from stratics

2.from pkhq

Bella is a forum mod on several boards at stratics and in my oppinion she is a hero of sorts.
Vegas cry for help was heard and now has Bella to thank for saving his parents grief and his own life.
Reuters is doing a write up on this,i seen vegas in game but never talked with him ,just another name in the crowd but not any more.

I guess some people just get sick of life...

SeK 612

(I hate double posting :( )

Funnies: 123

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2002, 08:22:16 AM »

Heh heh heh. Dammit, where's that pic!!! I'd send it to em and tell em to quit postin that sh*t to the board!
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Unleashed

• My Space Emo Attention Whore
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/piksandbdates/shoebox.msnw
What Would You Do?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2002, 02:02:52 PM »

Talk show host Jenny Jones was held responsible

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2002, 02:56:34 PM »

Quote from: Unleashed
Talk show host Jenny Jones was held responsible

Huh?

Unleashed

• View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2002, 09:57:13 PM »

You don't know who Jenny Jones is? She has a morning talk show, anyway she had a guest on her show and he I can't remember if he accomplished killing himself after the taping of the show or not. But she was held responsible and had to go to court over the shit.... which I thought was totally wrong. How was she to know.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Daria

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 12:06:52 AM »

Actually, she talked a guy in to coming on the show because she told him he had a "secret crush". Little did the guy know that it was his best friend (who is a male). The guy specifically told Jenny that he didn't want to go on if the "crush" was a guy and she lied to him and told him it was a female.

When the show was taped the guy found out and was completely embarrassed. He also had homophobia, which added to the "trauma".
So, the next day he went over to his best friends house and shot him to death.
Jenny Jones didn't pull the trigger, but she did lie to him, and apparently it held up in court for a while.

Corruption

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 02:16:24 PM »

sounds like her fault...
<-- insert witty comment -->

Unleashed

• View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2002, 02:53:53 PM »

Well maybe ... but if you had someone that said they were going to commit suicide in forum seeking attention because of low self esteem about themselves or some kind of shit but instead having a comment like "do it in the forest and decompose..." was to be a push over the edge for them and they did commit suicide. Do you suppose one should be held responsible for the persons own mental state of mind? In a way it is a connected issue... whether or not she may have lied to the guy or what ever have you, common sence should tell one that why even put yourself in a position for an opportunity that one may not be comfortable with in the first place or to even place yourself in a position that what you read let alone hear may not be what that person may have wanted? You can't predict peoples reactions. But if Jenny Jones was held responsible I suppose that in a case as such and the person would have commited sucide that the person running the forum could have been held responsible by not perhaps deleting the post or whatever. Seems that it is becoming to easy to shift blame for ones actions onto another now a days and when blame should be placed it seems like it is harder than hell to gain justice from the situation. It's backwards if you ask me. Our legal system seems so broke down.

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2002, 03:15:07 PM »

It prevents overcrowding, I'm all for it.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
What Would You Do?
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2002, 09:06:52 PM »

Freaky....just plain freaky...

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2002, 11:13:11 PM »

Well at least we know one thing for sure: Jenny Jones was involved in a hate crime. She killed a man. Amen.

Anonymous

What Would You Do?
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2002, 08:52:22 AM »

Is that Jenny Jones stuff for real??? Isn't it stupid to kill yourself cause a man said he has a crush on you? If someone really has to die because of that revelation, wouldn't you be better off shooting the homo instead of yourself? Or better yet, why not just laugh it off and get on with your miserable life? If that guy really shot himself cause some other dude told him he had a crush on him, then obviously he did the world a favour. If you are that dumb, then you should be shot.

Chris, about the CNN article, all I can say is that the net is not the place for a "cry for help". Imagine if Demo was posting there! What kind of reply would he have posted? Certainly nothing helpfull! (No offense Demo). I would have probably told that person what a fucking morron they were for posting that shit there in the first place. Not because I don't care about others, but because it's just not the place to do it. And I would not take a post like that seriously.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off the the shed to hang myself.  :twisted:

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
What Would You Do?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2002, 09:44:12 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Chris, about the CNN article, all I can say is that the net is not the place for a "cry for help". Imagine if Demo was posting there! What kind of reply would he have posted? Certainly nothing helpfull! (No offense Demo).
None taken!  I for one am glad to see that you haven't misjudged me.

Though your usage of the word "helpful" is relative, of course.  "Helpful" to the individual expressing a wish to die?  Certainly!  I could give dozens of suggestions that would speed such an individual along his path to oblivion and as much encouragement as is humanly possible.  To someone who isn't sure how he/she wants to do it, that would be helpful indeed!

"Helpful" to the rest of humanity? Absolutely!  Nothing is more harmful to the continued existance of the human species as a whole than weak, stupid individuals polluting the gene pool by breeding more weak and stupid individuals!  There is a pretty good reason why they call Darwin Awards "awards[/i]", after all!
Really?  I would suggest a stout tree limb rather than a shed... most sheds are constructed to a lower standard than residential structures, so the roof support is not usually designed to sustain prolonged weight of over a hundred pounds or so hanging from only one truss, or, alternatively, if you plan the "clean and jerk" approach to hanging (which is the quicker route to go with), you could very well snap the support that your rope is attached to and leave the job only half-assed... you still alive, but with a broken neck, paralyzed from the neck down.  Sorta defeats the purpose, IMHO.

Find a good, stout tree instead, and make sure you do it after dark -- you're much less likely to be seen and therefore interfered with that way!

Anything I can do to help!  :D

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2002, 10:00:26 AM »

Quote from: TheJudge
Is that Jenny Jones stuff for real??? Isn't it stupid to kill yourself cause a man said he has a crush on you? If someone really has to die because of that revelation, wouldn't you be better off shooting the homo instead of yourself? Or better yet, why not just laugh it off and get on with your miserable life? If that guy really shot himself cause some other dude told him he had a crush on him, then obviously he did the world a favour. If you are that dumb, then you should be shot.

Chris, about the CNN article, all I can say is that the net is not the place for a "cry for help". Imagine if Demo was posting there! What kind of reply would he have posted? Certainly nothing helpfull! (No offense Demo). I would have probably told that person what a fucking morron they were for posting that shit there in the first place. Not because I don't care about others, but because it's just not the place to do it. And I would not take a post like that seriously.

Actually, he did "shoot the homo", you sick fuck. That's why Jenny was in such deep shit.

Anonymous

What Would You Do?
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2002, 01:08:49 PM »

Demo: LOL

Bino: You seem to be offended by my post, you sick fuck  :wink: . I think you should know by now that I tend to be sarcastic when sharing my thoughs on idiotic topics or events. If you read between the lines, what I was really saying is that the whole thing was stupid. Someone faced with that situation (the gay crush revelation) should laugh it off and move on. I have nothing against gay people. It's a lifestyle that they choose and they have the right to do so. I have no problem with that.

I was actually faced with a similar situation in the past. I mean, I always knew I was irresitable to women, but that one did catch me off guards. So how do you think I handled the situation? With a fucking gun??? I don't think so. I simply said: Sorry man, I've got a tattoo on my ass that says "Exit Only". Can't help you in that department, so don't even go there. And that was that. I'm still friends with that person. I respect the fact that he's gay and he respects the fact that I am not. If people can't deal with such a situation, then they are the ones with a problem.