The Geek Forum

• May 07, 2024, 03:30:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129616
  • Total Topics: 7183
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are you feelings on marijuana usage?  (Read 10912 times)

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +0/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dextroverse.org
What are you feelings on marijuana usage?
« on: November 01, 2002, 05:46:55 PM »

What are they?
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 06:06:18 PM »

I don't use it, nor have I ever.  As far as what others do it's their business and not mine.

Daria

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 06:48:51 AM »

I've never used it either.
As far as cannabis goes I feel it's no more a threat then alcohol is. I wouldn't care if all of it was legalized, it would leave more money for education.
Hallucinogens and designer drugs are a different story. I'm more worried about what cannabis hypotheticly leads to.

SeK612

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +1/-8
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dreamwater.net/cult/
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2002, 01:50:29 PM »

As far as I know marijuana by itself is virtually harmless. Because its mixed with Tobacco its more of a problem but it is no worse - I believe it is not as bad - than Smoking. My parents and the rest of the country were apparently smoking it during the 70s/ 80s and it doesn't seemed to have done them any harm. The government here has downgraded it so they seem to think its O.K. It has benifits - when used correctly - medically. Of course as with all such drugs if used in excess it can kill but then if I were after the biggest such killer I would go after the two biggies smoking and Drinking instead. I haven't yet taken marijuana - nor any other drug - but I'll guess I'll try it one day :)

SeK 612

Funnies: 123

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2002, 08:54:46 PM »

Quote from: pbsaurus
I don't use it, nor have I ever.  As far as what others do it's their business and not mine.

I agree. I would probably go against it if I must, but otherwise, it's not really my problem, nor do I have the influence to stop it.

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 12:09:14 AM »

I'm a regular user. By that I mean that I smoke once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I use it the way others use alcohol.

I haven't had a drink in years.

I don't advocate use. But I don't really advocate anything, except socialized healthcare. If you want to use it, more power to you. If you don't more power to you.

Square.
your ad here.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 01:22:25 AM »

I'm with biggyfred on this one.

It's fun stuff, but it's not for everyone.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2002, 09:51:17 AM »

*smirk* I spend alot of my time in the dorm courtyard, where the "regular" and I assume "premium" users tend to hang out. One of em got me all involved in the legalization battle and now I feed him articles I find, heh. This is notwithstanding the fact that they thought I was a narc when I said I don't smoke-a the weed.

I think my mom, of all people, has a good point when she talks about alcohol being legal, but you can easily get into a car and kill somebody, whereas you can't smoke pot which, no matter what the Reefer Madness propaganda tries to tell us (Geez... if those acid trips those kids got from the marijuana were even halfway true....), it's not gonna exactly put a stranglehold on your driving abilities. You could drive home from a party (carefully) after tokage but not after drinkage.

Then we get into this whole thing where unless you're smokin thai-sticks from the 60s drenched in hash oil, marijuana has infinitely more positive uses than alcohol and cigarettes. I say we hafta drop this backwards trash; these conservative zealot psycho-Christians (who I'm convinced make up half the Bible verses they like to quote as they go along) are what's standing between us and progress. There are really no other countries with that kind of barrier between them and civilization, short of Iraq and formerly Afghanistan (but we "liberated" them, plunging them into total anarchy anyway so it doesn't matter).
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 09:58:57 AM »

Hey it got me through my teen years! Pot itslef is less harmfull than a lot of products already in circulation. The danger is that pot may lead to more potent and dangerous stuff. When you get tired of the pot high and you want something with a little more kick, then it's time to put the brakes on. I remember some of my high school friends that were doing acid and coke and all sorts of shit. Most of them are still hooked up. They are braindead. They are miserable. Not everyone has the self control and disipline of taking pot responsabily, just like liquor. But if people want to wreak their lives, it's their choice. I don't like to impose anything on anyone.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 12:38:19 PM »

I have no problem with marijuana.  I don't use it myself, but that's mainly because of the price. ::smirk::
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2002, 09:06:29 AM »

The price??? It's like the cheapest stuff you can get! And you can always grow some with little equipement.

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 09:07:38 AM »

Heh...well thanks to my suseptability to peer pressure, I tried some weed yesterday. I think it was laced with cystal meth (or "speed").

I took about 3 to 5 good hits via bong. I don't really think I got high..I just felt hyper for several hours.
Pink Floyd is Good, Opeth is good, Insane Rants are good. I am jusy trying to make myself happy, damnit.

-Keith

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2002, 02:23:34 PM »

Quote from: KoRNexpressor
Heh...well thanks to my suseptability to peer pressure, I tried some weed yesterday. I think it was laced with cystal meth (or "speed").

I took about 3 to 5 good hits via bong. I don't really think I got high..I just felt hyper for several hours.
[/i]That doesn't necessarily mean it was laced with anything.  A lot of people have weird effects (or sometimes no effect at all) the very first time they try pot.

As for my opinion on the subject, I think most of the HN alum here know my position, but for the record here at teh Geekery (OMFGLOL!!11), while I have smoked pot in the past, I don't anymore (pretty much grew out of it and lost interest, for the most part), and I don't consider it to be any of my business as to whether or not anyone else smokes it, or does any other kinds of drugs either, for that matter.

Wanna shoot heroin?  Great.  Have a good time.  If you die from an overdose or have other nasty effects from it (which come along with heroin like fleas come along with dogs), it's your own fault.  You aren't a "victim", you aren't "succumbing to peer pressure", you aren't "a result of a bad environment"... not unless someone held a gun to your head and said "shoot up or I blow your brains out", that is.  Everybody is responsible for their own actions, in my book.

Likewise if you get all ripped on meth or angel dust or something and end up killing someone.  No "temporary insanity" plea... it was your choice to take something that led to a direct loss of control of your own actions, and you should still be held responsible/accountable.

You can pretty much toss the notion of having the State pay for rehab for you, too, in my perfect world.  What?  You got hooked on coke?  You can't quit?  That sucks.  Fork over the cash to enter a program and kick the habit or seek a charitable private organization for aid if you want... but don't expect the general public taxpayers to foot the bill for cleaning up your dumb ass when you get strung out.

As for pot though, who really cares?  Whose business is it, really, if people want to kick back and smoke a joint or two in the comfort and privacy of their own home?  And whose business is it if you want to grow some for personal use, for that matter?  As long as you aren't harming anyone else, as far as I'm concerned, it's none of my business.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2002, 02:36:18 PM »

Well said demo. I suppose making pot legal would also provide the a lot of revenues for the government to spend on schools and hospitals, etc. They would tax the product like crazzy, as they do with tabaco. I don't know how tabaco products have been affected by 7-11 in the states, but in Canada, a 25 pack is $8.50 on average. That's a lot. before 7-11, whenever the governemnt was excessive in the taxation of tabaco, smugling from the states grew until they finally lowered the prices to resonable rates. And it's been a cycle like that for as long as I can remember. Now, because of 7-11, the security at the borders has been increased so much that it's practicly impossible for most to smuggle tabaco products in. The governement is aware of that, so they jack up the taxes as high as they have ever been. I think it's really abusing people with dependecies and addiction problems. But on ther other hand, no one can do squat about it. And it may encourage more people to quit. I guess there are two sides to the medal. Anyway, if they made pot legal, I'm sure the same thing would happen.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 02:59:04 PM »

Well, for the record, I also strongly disagree with the notion of "sin taxes", i.e., high taxes on items that the government supposedly wants people to buy less of.

That's bullshit and they know it.  The government doesn't give a rat's ass about people buying less booze or less tobacco... in fact, if the "sin taxes" actually did what the politicians claim they created them for in the first place, the government would be having some problems.... most of the budgets actually depend on sales of sin-taxed items to remain relatively constant.

They tax stuff like booze and smokes because they firmly know that the measures taken have absolutely no effect on peoples' wanting to have their beer and have their cigs.  They are simply taking advantage of something they know will always be around to make piles and piles of money off of it, while at the same time "appearing" to "care" about the "health" of the very taxpayers they are fleecing.   :evil:

Sort of like the "red light cameras" that are in place at some intersections in some American cities.  Studies have shown that the camera-enforced intersections actually have MORE accidents at them since installing cameras. This is mostly due to people slamming hard on their brakes to keep from being caught even slightly in the intersection when the light turns red, so as not to get a stupid ticket that you simply can't argue your way out of -- ever try to argue with a camera?

The thing is, with these studies that show a great increase in accidents at camera-enforced intersections, have any of the cities that participated in the studies removed the cameras?

No.  In fact, some of them have even installed more.  The reason being that they made so much money off of the ones they already had (via ticket revenues), that these cities discovered that they had happened upon a really great cash source in these things.

Never mind the fact that more accidents are taking place.  Never mind the fact that because of that kind of great increase in risk to drivers in the area that insurance rates for people driving in the area will go up pretty much across the board in order to compensate for it.  Never mind the fact that the potential for injuries and even fatalities has gone up as a result.

I thought the idea of enforcing traffic laws was about public safety and efficiency.  Not cities seeing how much more money they can make for their pet projects.

That's basically how I see taxes on things like alcohol, tobacco, and (maybe some time in the future) marijuana.  It isn't because they care so much about your health... it's simply that they want more and more and more money for their pet political projects, which makes it look like they care, and the pet projects make it look like they are doing something for their constituents, which in turn helps them continue to dupe idiotic voters into voting for them so they continue doing the same....

It never ends.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2002, 07:32:21 PM »

That doesn't necessarily mean it was laced with anything. A lot of people have weird effects (or sometimes no effect at all) the very first time they try pot.

Well, What I meant to say is that I was told it was laced with this.

I smoked again today. Me and some kids hopped a train to Red Bank (dont ask me why) and smoked behind some old house. I didn't get high yet, fucking goddamnit! But my eyes are absorbing a lot of light...since yesterday and especially after the session today (which has 33% more suckage than yesterday). If I look at a light the vision of that light is imprinted in my eyes! Ah!

-Keith

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2002, 08:55:53 PM »

Quote from: TheJudge

"7/11"?
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2002, 08:57:19 PM »

Quote from: KoRNexpressor
That doesn't necessarily mean it was laced with anything. A lot of people have weird effects (or sometimes no effect at all) the very first time they try pot.

I smoked again today. Me and some kids hopped a train to Red Bank (dont ask me why) and smoked behind some old house. I didn't get high yet, fucking goddamnit! But my eyes are absorbing a lot of light...since yesterday and especially after the session today (which has 33% more suckage than yesterday). If I look at a light the vision of that light is imprinted in my eyes! Ah!

Your musical cred can only improve now! W00t!  :roll: Heh.

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2002, 09:16:04 PM »

Binoboy Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KoRNexpressor wrote:
Quote:

Your musical cred can only improve now! W00t!  Heh.

Hey, I didn't think of that. I can imagine it now!

SexyWhore: Oh, Kr3N! I didn't know you played the guitar!
KoRNexpressor: Well, I do. I also smoke weed and get high and smell like shit when that happens.
SexyWhore: OMG WHAT? I'M TOO BUSY SUCKING YOUR DICK!!!!1111

-Keith

Binoboy

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2002, 09:15:44 AM »

Hey, I didn't think of that. I can imagine it now!

SexyWhore: Oh, Kr3N! I didn't know you played the guitar!
KoRNexpressor: Well, I do. I also smoke weed and get high and smell like shit when that happens.
SexyWhore: OMG WHAT? I'M TOO BUSY SUCKING YOUR DICK!!!!1111

Over IM, no less. Looks like that girl's got some cred too, but in a different area. The force is strong with her....

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2002, 07:49:38 PM »

I highly doubt you smoked weed laced with anything.

Laced buds are super expensive. That's one of those things you'll run into as a kid. People will lie their fuckin asses off because they know you don't know any better. Or someone lied to them.

Which is why you shouldn't bother smoking "primos" (buds with coke). Smoking coke (in any way other than freebasing) is unbelieveably ineffective, and REALLY REALLY GODDAMN EXPENSIVE.

As a post script note, If *I* were you, I would take it from someone with experience in smoking meth and dust.

DONT FUCKING DO IT. EVER EVER EVER

My wife has visited the hospital after smoking a dusted joint. Take it from me. It wasn't very fun.

**edit: That happened to her about 8 years ago. She's never touched a narcotic since, and we used to do drugs together all the damn time. It scared the living fuck out of her. She went completely straight edge after that.
your ad here.

KoRNexpressor

• Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2002, 08:19:38 PM »

I highly doubt you smoked weed laced with anything.

Laced buds are super expensive. That's one of those things you'll run into as a kid. People will lie their fuckin asses off because they know you don't know any better. Or someone lied to them.

Which is why you shouldn't bother smoking "primos" (buds with coke). Smoking coke (in any way other than freebasing) is unbelieveably ineffective, and REALLY REALLY GODDAMN EXPENSIVE.

As a post script note, If *I* were you, I would take it from someone with experience in smoking meth and dust.

DONT FUCKING DO IT. EVER EVER EVER

My wife has visited the hospital after smoking a dusted joint. Take it from me. It wasn't very fun.

**edit: That happened to her about 8 years ago. She's never touched a narcotic since, and we used to do drugs together all the damn time. It scared the living fuck out of her. She went completely straight edge after that.

ok. I won't.

Sorry I cant more specific, I feel really tired right now....

-Keith

Daria

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2002, 12:56:57 PM »

I am so sorry.

biggyfred

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2002, 06:07:24 PM »

This is obviously a cultural reference that I'm not getting.

There was a girl. She was in an Apple commercial. I have not seen the commercial.

Where's the snazzy hook that helped her attain cult internet status, especially concerning drugs?
your ad here.

Daria

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2002, 10:17:50 PM »

I think if you saw the commercial you would get it.
You can watch the ad here.
(Quicktime of course)
Pages: [1] 2