The Geek Forum

• May 16, 2024, 07:04:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129632
  • Total Topics: 7188
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I know we've covered this before...  (Read 13200 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Re: I know we've covered this before...
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »

We no longer beat up protestors,

Try showing up at any Bush-organized event with an anti-Bush t-shirt on and see how far you get.  The last time they came to my town they arrested people who were across the street from the venue at which Dubya showed up who were just standing there with signs.

On public property.

Permits are not necessary in this city for protests if the numbers are fewer than 1000.

Those arrested were not even charged with anything... they were later released without any charges being filed.

I know one of the people who was arrested.  She insisted on being charged with something, anything, but they refused and kicked her to the curb after the Bush rally was over with.

This administration is not friendly to protestors.  The arrest of people just for the purpose of detaining them to keep them from protesting is a severe violation of their 1st amendment rights.

we haven't had a draft since vietnam IIRC. Civil liberties and in place, and there is a country wide movement to actually make sure our citizens are educated. Not to mention most of the same mentalities (extreme nationalism mainly), does not exist anymore because of globalization. It's not like Bush just Nuke'd someone a year ago.

No, but he did invade a country that was in no way a legitimate threat to us.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 08:54:01 PM »

Try showing up at any Bush-organized event with an anti-Bush t-shirt on and see how far you get.  The last time they came to my town they arrested people who were across the street from the venue at which Dubya showed up who were just standing there with signs.

On public property.

Permits are not necessary in this city for protests if the numbers are fewer than 1000.

Those arrested were not even charged with anything... they were later released without any charges being filed.

I know one of the people who was arrested.  She insisted on being charged with something, anything, but they refused and kicked her to the curb after the Bush rally was over with.

This administration is not friendly to protestors.  The arrest of people just for the purpose of detaining them to keep them from protesting is a severe violation of their 1st amendment rights.

Arresting and assaulting are two different things. I don't agree with the arrests, but they didn't nightstick people so it's an improvement even if it's a small one.

No, but he did invade a country that was in no way a legitimate threat to us.

Okay, so I guess you can consider every country that was once powerful on the planet a country that has used a Nuke.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

trekchick

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +116/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 08:54:51 PM »

i dont get it vespertine... and i mean this with all due respect, but if this country sucks so bad according to you, why bother living here? there are hundreds of other countries to live in. maybe one of them you can agree with the politics...

...like canada, or france?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 09:27:21 PM »

Arresting and assaulting are two different things. I don't agree with the arrests, but they didn't nightstick people

Yet.

so it's an improvement even if it's a small one.

An assault on one's rights might not physically hurt, but it is an assault just the same.

i dont get it vespertine... and i mean this with all due respect, but if this country sucks so bad according to you, why bother living here? there are hundreds of other countries to live in. maybe one of them you can agree with the politics...

...like canada, or france?

Oh no you DI'N'T!

Don't EVEN tell me that you just suggested that V simply leave the country of her birth, rather than stay here and make it a better place.  I don't agree with every opinion of hers, but on one thing I think Vespertine and I are both pretty well firm on: we're not going anywhere.  I take offense at the very suggestion that we "love it or leave it".  Tell her that and you're telling ME that too.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:30:49 PM by Demosthenes »

trekchick

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +116/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 09:34:36 PM »

i dont mind if she disagrees with some of the issues, shoot, there are some i dont agree with, but it seems she has a problem with EVERYTHING. thats when you hae to question.

or, if she tried to actually do something about it, besides complaining about every political issue in a forum, go and do something about it.

its like those people who are all like "save to o-zone, and eco system" yet, drive hummers.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 09:44:25 PM »

i dont mind if she disagrees with some of the issues, shoot, there are some i dont agree with, but it seems she has a problem with EVERYTHING. thats when you hae to question.

or, if she tried to actually do something about it, besides complaining about every political issue in a forum, go and do something about it.

I resemble that remark.  :)

Besides, how do you know she isn't doing something about it, in addition to complaining?  How do you know I am not?

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2006, 09:47:24 PM »

We only complain about those things we disagree with.  Why should I run around extolling the government for the (admittedly very few) things that they do correctly?
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »

That whole 'if you don't like it you can geeeeet out' idea is worn out and busted.
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 11:40:13 PM »

its like those people who are all like "save to o-zone, and eco system" yet, drive hummers.
Everything?  When debating, you really should avoid words like everything, nothing, always and never.  The point of a discussion board is to discuss.  It'd be pretty boring around here if someone posted something and everyone just chimed in with an "I agree".

Finally, I do go out and do something about it.  Through conversation (and yes, debate) I help people to see that there is more than one side to a position, and sometimes they help me to do the same thing.  I also do the most important thing that anyone can do with regard to their political views.  I vote.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 11:51:50 PM »

Firstly, you DON'T 'hae' to question anything if you don't want to, just follow Bush like he says. Secondly, how do you know that Vespertine doesn't 'do something' about it? What is the purpose of a forum OTHER than to discuss things? And lastly, the words are 'ozone' and 'ecosystem', and how do you know that this is even the case?

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 11:58:56 PM »

Oh no you DI'N'T!

Don't EVEN tell me that you just suggested that V simply leave the country of her birth, rather than stay here and make it a better place.  I don't agree with every opinion of hers, but on one thing I think Vespertine and I are both pretty well firm on: we're not going anywhere.  I take offense at the very suggestion that we "love it or leave it".  Tell her that and you're telling ME that too.
What do you mean you don't agree with my every opinion???   :-o

You're officially fired as my lackey.  Get out!

P.S. Love the smiley.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 12:54:12 AM »

Just come to Canada eh! Yeah baby!

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2006, 12:56:06 AM »

We'd be glad to have you (on a related note, Manitoba just got snow today).

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »

Everything?  When debating, you really should avoid words like everything, nothing, always and never.  The point of a discussion board is to discuss.  It'd be pretty boring around here if someone posted something and everyone just chimed in with an "I agree".

Finally, I do go out and do something about it.  Through conversation (and yes, debate) I help people to see that there is more than one side to a position, and sometimes they help me to do the same thing.  I also do the most important thing that anyone can do with regard to their political views.  I vote.
I agree!

What?  You knew someone was going to do it.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

12AX7

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 08:06:51 AM »

Firstly, you DON'T 'hae' to question anything if you don't want to, just follow Bush like he says.
 And lastly, the words are 'ozone' and 'ecosystem', and how do you know that this is even the case?

That whole 'if you don't like it you can geeeeet out' idea is worn out and busted.

Lastly, the word is 'get', and I wasn't aware that phrase was used that much in Cananda.

Crystalmonkey

• Nazi Absinthe Drinker
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +167/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »

An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself. The implication is that the person's argument and/or ability to argue correctly lacks authority. Merely insulting another person in the middle of otherwise rational discourse does not necessarily constitute an ad hominem fallacy. It must be clear that the purpose of the characterization is to discredit the person offering the argument, and, specifically, to invite others to discount his arguments. In the past, the term ad hominem was sometimes used more literally, to describe an argument that was based on an individual, or to describe any personal attack. However, this is not how the meaning of the term is typically introduced in modern logic and rhetoric textbooks, and logicians and rhetoricians are in agreement that this use is incorrect.

*Snaps Fingers*

So close...

Alright, to get back to the topic at hand.

The US, for all of it's faults, is very stable as compared to make of the other countries of the international community. (Perhaps because we have two parties that tend to be similar to each other, so that when one party comes into power the entire system isn't destroyed and rebuilt.)

It also used nuclear weapons, twice, in the 1940's to end WWII. That's it. We, and all of the other countries, haven't used them to attack each other since. Sure, there were times when we were scared that Russia would launch an assault on us, (And vice versa) but we managed to pull through that. We even set up an agreement to try and limit the number of nuclear weapons that we had.

I doubt NK is anywhere NEAR as stable as that, which is a cause of concern for not just us but the world as a whole. If NK uses the weapons it has, more than just the US would be effected by it. There is also the concern that they, or Iran, would give nuclear weapons to individual organizations bent on destroying us and the "free" world. And we are free, at least in comparison to the societies they come from, so that's probably an accurate enough description.

Just my 2 cents.
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned." - Anonymous

"Sadly, computers don't have rights, so moral arguments aside, I'm afraid it's quite legal to run Windows on them." - /. User 468275

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »

* Demosthenes bans Vespertine

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 12:08:50 PM »

I agree!

What?  You knew someone was going to do it.

Damn you earlier time zone people!  You beat me to it.

I vote regularly too and I've only voted for a few winners in the 22 years I've been voting (and most of those were no on propositions, with a few local offices thrown in).  But for most offices I don't vote for a Demublican or Republocrat.  I wish the rest would follow suit, then we wouldn't have all these problems.  We'd probably have completely different ones.

As for the upcoming election, I'm voting for several Libertarians and a few Greens.  We have a couple "Libertarians" on the ticket who are just disgruntled Republicans who feel the Republicans aren't bigoted enough.  The candidate for governor wants to imprison all illegals, so I don't really consider him a Libertarian, so I'm voting for Peter Camejo, the Green candidate.

I not only vote, but I do the unheard thing of actually reading and researching before I vote.  If everyone did this, the television commercials would be rendered moot and money would be removed from politics.  But that's really a pipe-dream, isn't it?

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »

I go on auto-pilot and vote no the minute I read the word "bond" in any state measure.  :-(
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

DiscipleOfChaos

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +20/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2006, 12:11:46 PM »

Damn you earlier time zone people!  You beat me to it.

I vote regularly too and I've only voted for a few winners in the 22 years I've been voting (and most of those were no on propositions, with a few local offices thrown in).  But for most offices I don't vote for a Demublican or Republocrat.  I wish the rest would follow suit, then we wouldn't have all these problems.  We'd probably have completely different ones.

As for the upcoming election, I'm voting for several Libertarians and a few Greens.  We have a couple "Libertarians" on the ticket who are just disgruntled Republicans who feel the Republicans aren't bigoted enough.  The candidate for governor wants to imprison all illegals, so I don't really consider him a Libertarian, so I'm voting for Peter Camejo, the Green candidate.

I not only vote, but I do the unheard thing of actually reading and researching before I vote.  If everyone did this, the television commercials would be rendered moot and money would be removed from politics.  But that's really a pipe-dream, isn't it?

What, are you saying that you actually want people to start -thinking for themselves- instead of letting other people think for them?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, though, I'd love to live in that world.
HURR!

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »

Those are the easy ones.  Always no.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »

I go on auto-pilot and vote no the minute I read the word "bond" in any state measure.  :-(

That's a solid rule of thumb when voting.  Instead, I suggest that everyone who votes "Yes" to such fleecing of taxpayers be forced to pay for whatever the hell that was out of their own pockets should such a measure fail.

Since they were more than willing to force everyone else to pay for it, I'm sure they shouldn't have a problem paying for it themselves.

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »

The US, for all of it's faults, is very stable as compared to make of the other countries of the international community. (Perhaps because we have two parties that tend to be similar to each other, so that when one party comes into power the entire system isn't destroyed and rebuilt.)

It also used nuclear weapons, twice, in the 1940's to end WWII. That's it. We, and all of the other countries, haven't used them to attack each other since. Sure, there were times when we were scared that Russia would launch an assault on us, (And vice versa) but we managed to pull through that. We even set up an agreement to try and limit the number of nuclear weapons that we had.

I doubt NK is anywhere NEAR as stable as that, which is a cause of concern for not just us but the world as a whole. If NK uses the weapons it has, more than just the US would be effected by it. There is also the concern that they, or Iran, would give nuclear weapons to individual organizations bent on destroying us and the "free" world. And we are free, at least in comparison to the societies they come from, so that's probably an accurate enough description.

Just my 2 cents.
Very well said.

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »

I just wish the other parties would get a little more representation. Maybe then we'd have a more moderate system instead of these polarized oposites. Also, some different swapping of issues would be nice for creating new parties. Like I personally would love to see a more economically conservative party with no ties to religion. The closest thing to that is the libertarians, but they're a little to into outsourcing for my liking.

Tree hugger! But seriously though, imprisoning them would only cost us more in the long run. We should just send them all back or shoot them all to save time and money. I bet you if the death penalty became legal for illegal immigration that'd solve a lot of problems.

On your way back from Candy land can you pick me up some crunch bars? But seriously though, the majority of the worlds population (or this countries for that matter) isn't smart enough to research the issues or understand them. Shit I don't think we've ever had a voting percentage be over 55% of the country before, so the amount of effort the citizens of this country put into their government clearly shows.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

pbsaurus

• Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 07:19:45 PM »

I just wish the other parties would get a little more representation. Maybe then we'd have a more moderate system instead of these polarized oposites. Also, some different swapping of issues would be nice for creating new parties. Like I personally would love to see a more economically conservative party with no ties to religion. The closest thing to that is the libertarians, but they're a little to into outsourcing for my liking....

That's the problem.  The media talks about the "two" parties.  About a choice of either/or.  There are more than two parties.  Major media doesn't acknowledge anyone other than the two plutocratic parties we have.  The other parties have difficulty even getting on ballots because the demublicans and republocrats make the rules to keep them down.  The other candidates aren't invited to debates.  The other candidates don't get free press in the news.  They don't get invited on the Tonight show.  And it's only getting worse.  Anyone who qualified for the California ballot used to be able to make a statement in the voter's information guide.  Now they charge $20 a word.  So the cash strapped non-plutocratic parties without their corporate backing are even being left out of the voter publications.  What I'm doing is correcting eveyone who frames election speech with a choice of either/or or says something to the effect of "two" parties.  I hope you will all join in my reeduction plan and call bullshit when you hear such dualistic speech.
Pages: 1 [2] 3