The Geek Forum

• May 16, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
  • Total Members: 4961
  • Latest: 41si
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129633
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: john kerry's statement  (Read 20687 times)

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
Re: john kerry's statement
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »

Cynically, I'd say a draft that unfairly garners cannon-fodder from among the disenfranchised is better for society as a whole in the long run. Our modern volunteer military is putting some of our best and most promissing citizens in harm's way.

Either way, it sucks.

"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 12:47:57 PM »

<snip>
how does everyone feel about this, especially since i have realized we have some hardcore liberals in here i would like to know their opinions
<snip>
Although you could be right about there being a few "hardcore liberals" in here, you seriously need to realize that there is a chasm-size difference between hardcore liberals and libertarians.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 12:54:03 PM »

+1 for "chasm"
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »

Demo - Navy - NUCLEAR ENGINEER (or something such as that; not sure the exact MOS name)

I don't remember the NEC (Naval Enlisted Code... Navyspeak for "MOS") for my particular designation, but the title was "Naval Nuclear Propulsion Engineer".

I could go on, but I would urge you to check out the actual process (ASVAB for one; GED or diploma, as another) and requirements for persons enlisting in the US Military. It MAY have been the less educated waaaaay back in the 60's/70's/ and part of the 80's, but now; if you're a dumbass, you aint getting in.

Actually, that's not completely true.  Dumbasses get in just fine.  But they find themselves sweeping floors and cleaning toilets and acting as human targets when it's war-time.  It's the same pitfall, really.  They dangle the same glamorous "build your own career, see the world and get paid to do it" carrot for everyone, but you have to be smart AND bust your ass AND (most importantly) keep your nose clean and be a good soldier to get a good job in the US Military.

In short, you get out of it what you put into it, dumbass or not.

If you're a dumbass, you end up with the shit-end of the stick, regardless of what branch, and regardless of your test scores or education.

Not only that, but you can be plenty smart and have one or two irresponsible moments and end up with that same aforementioned shit-end.  I went through the Naval Nuclear Program with a lot of guys who had over 90 on their ASVAB tests that wound up failing a test or two and got stuck chipping paint at sub-E4 pay grades.

And they failed the tests in school not because they were stupid, just irresponsible.  In the Navy Nuke program, they make sure everyone that qualifies for it has the smarts to pass.  Whether or not they do pass is a matter of personal choice, really.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 06:41:14 PM by Demosthenes »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »

Not only that, but you can be plenty smart and have one or two irresponsible moments and end up with that same aforementioned shit-end.  I went through the Naval Nuclear Program with a lot of guys who had over 90 on their ASVAB tests that wound up failing a test or two and got stuck chipping paint at sub-E4 pay grades.
* BizB raises hand holding 87 on ASVAB score and General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions papers.

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »

My condolences.  Rest assured, however, that you are in excellent company.  I served with a lot of good men who found similar fates.

We started out with 45 people in my Nuclear Field A-School class.  5 of us ended up completing the Naval Nuclear Program a couple of years down the road.  It has a really high attrition rate, and those that wash out end up with the aforementioned "shit-end of the stick", for the most part.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »

My error was saying "Fuck you" to a 9 year old black kid that had just called me a "Dumb white ass honkey mother fucker".  What I should have done was killed the little fuck.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 08:19:45 PM »

My error was saying "Fuck you" to a 9 year old black kid that had just called me a "Dumb white ass honkey mother fucker".  What I should have done was killed the little fuck.

No because that would make you a racist and as such, worse than Hitler.  :-P
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Evonus

• Whipping Boy
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +158/-296
  • ZE TROLL KING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 10:52:30 PM »

I think Kerry's an asshat too (along with most of our politicians), but I can't get away from how so many people say "there's a grain of truth to it." Remember when Bill Maher made the similar comment about "low-lying fruit"? Everyone was outraged, he lost his job, and yet because 9/11 was still fresh on our minds, we couldn't have a dialogue about what he said. Same thing here.

The real war within our borders is the issue of class. Race continues to be used as the red herring to keep the middle and working classes distracted from the real fact of the matter: that the haves have more than ever, and the have-nots have even less. That fact runs across all racial and cultural spectrums. Oh, sure, the working class can now buy cell phones and Starbucks coffee, but it's a false sense of prosperity, in part because most of it is being paid for with credit cards that will never get paid back.

Karl would be proud.

That's an extremely myopic view to take. I live in a small town where generations of families have farmed, logged, fished and mined. They don't leave unless there's a war to go to. The only "respectable" way to get out is to join the military. It's not at all easy to find the routes you speak of when you have no encouragement from your family or friends; even your school doesn't offer the tools you need, i.e. providing an education that can prepare you for college. The pressure to conform to tradition here is enormous.

Certainly there are intelligent, college educated people who join the military. But by far the majority of people who enlist do so because they have no real economic alternatives, or at least the perception of such. Like the 20-year-old kid from our town who died in Iraq a couple of years ago. Talking to his sister, his story is the perfect example of this: his parents spend the majority of their free time at the tavern; he had no encouragement from them to take his studies seriously or pursue college. The military recruiters are so convincing when they came to visit the school; they had grand stories of seeing the world and getting money for college that he didn't have to pay back -- all he had to do was spend a little time "serving" his country, and what a noble thing that is.

You know, I didn't say it's as easy for some as it for others, because I damn well know that isn't true. But you always have a choice, in the case you mentioned, they could always go into the farming industry or whatnot. Trust me man, I know how it works, I'm the only one within a 10 mile radius of my house to go to college and successfully complete their first year. Most of my friends dropped out and are working at the mall or 7-11. A few did join the army, but most chose crappy jobs for now instead of it. Now I know the army is pushed more in certain places, but that doesn't really specify wealth. The military is pushed more in some areas period regardless of wealth or education. Plenty of wealthy people attend West Point every year and then end up in Iraq. It's a bullshit statement to the core.
"Did you name your mole Avogadro?" -PBsaurus

12AX7

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2006, 08:12:25 AM »

It MAY have been the less educated waaaaay back in the 60's/70's/ and part of the 80's
I'm basing my statement on my point on my personal experience; as the last three years I served I was an instructor; this was in '93/'94/'95. I spent a total of 10 years in service (including National Guard time); I saw it change with my own eyes. When I first enlisted ('85) it was true; they didnt really press hard for smarts. They basically took who they could get, as the military in the early 80's was NOT AT ALL 'popular' or a 'noble' endeavor (according to the media; and -thus, the general populace).

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2006, 09:07:37 AM »

My enlistment started in 1984. - fyi.

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »

As a quick side note, I found this to be funny.  A few months ago one of the branches of the military (I think it was the Army) was saying that they were way below their recruitment targets.  As a result of this, they lowered the entrance standards.  Within the last two weeks, I read an article about how the Army is all happy now because they've now met their recruitment targets for the year.  Thought it was somewhat relevant to this particular discussion.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

12AX7

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006, 01:14:49 PM »

My enlistment started in 1984. - fyi.
I covered that.
back in the 60's/70's/ and part of the 80's
When I first enlisted ('85) it was true; they didnt really press hard for smarts. They basically took who they could get

As a quick side note, I found this to be funny.  A few months ago one of the branches of the military (I think it was the Army) was saying that they were way below their recruitment targets.  As a result of this, they lowered the entrance standards.  Within the last two weeks, I read an article about how the Army is all happy now because they've now met their recruitment targets for the year.  Thought it was somewhat relevant to this particular discussion.
Which supports what I was saying exactly; especially since, as you mentioned, they've lowered the standards only "a few months ago". So does Demo's post; to "fail" out of a NUCLEAR PROPULSION school doesn't really qualify as "uneducated". Just to be admitted to that class one would have to be of above average intelligence. 

TheJudge

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +330/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 01:20:21 PM »

Except with the new lower standrad, they'll calling it the NUCULAR PROPUSLON skool

Man.. that was so John Kerry of me.

12AX7

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »

lol

:-D

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »

12 - I was pointing out  that you were right on with your statement.  When I got out, there was a waiting list to join.  That's why I got out so easily.

12AX7

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 02:02:05 PM »

Gotcha.

< /topic >
grrr..  this hotel's Internet connection sux,  btw.
(in Dallas for two weeks of more PBX schooling)
Plus, it's over 100$ a night; and its NON SMOKING. Totally.
Fuck this - I wont stay here next time. 100$ a night, not only should I be able to
smoke in my room; but I should have a hotel rep bringing me cigarrettes. Asshats with holes...
< topic >

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 05:43:06 PM »

Yeah, I was in part implying that there is more than one way to apply dumbassery when you're talking about military people.  Some of it is dumbassery in terms of just not being too good with the brain.

Some of it is having plenty of smarts but doing things that qualify you as a dumbass, which get you the same shit jobs.

You're right though, they fluctuate as far as requirements depending on recruiting success or failure.  When I went in you could still get into the Navy with a 36 on the ASVAB... granted, I'm not sure what job you would qualify for with a test score like that.  Even broom pushers at the time had some other specialty, usually.

But that was in the early 90s, and I was largely insulated from the Stupids while I was active duty, because I served in 100% nuclear duty stations.

They don't let the Stupids in those, so I can't honestly say how many there were.  What few I did encounter didn't understand us, so they didn't talk to us.

12AX7

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 07:17:48 PM »

ROFL@ "dumbassery"!

I probably should've used a different term in regards to "you ain't getting in", as one can be intelligent AND a dumbass, certainly.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +195/-45
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »

My condolences.  Rest assured, however, that you are in excellent company.  I served with a lot of good men who found similar fates.

We started out with 45 people in my Nuclear Field A-School class.  5 of us ended up completing the Naval Nuclear Program a couple of years down the road.  It has a really high attrition rate, and those that wash out end up with the aforementioned "shit-end of the stick", for the most part.

This is slightly off topic, but Demo, are you familiar with nuclear submarines then? I was wondering the other day how they can stay down for months at a time when the oxygen they breathe is from the water, yet breathing pure oxygen will make you sick in relatively short periods of time?
Singularity god is EVIL as
Creation reigns as Opposites.
Educators, and You - ought
to be killed for ignoring the
fact that "Earth is Cubed".
(ignored and suppressed by EVIL educators)

12AX7

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »

I believe they scrub the air that's already in there.

"The Contamination Control Assembly (SBG) removes carbon dioxide and acid gases by means of a chemical reaction with lithium hydroxide (LiOH). Odours and off-gassing products are removed by means of activated charcoal filters and catalysts, and particulates and aerosols by means of a particle filter. The filter also prevents LiOH dust from leaving the filter."

from here:

http://www.naval-technology.com/contractors/hvac/dornier/

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »

Yeah I was aware of that, the whole removing of toxins bit, but I was wondering how they were able to breathe pure oxygen for so long without any nitrogen or the other things that we're all used to up on the surface.

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 02:24:05 AM »

:?   Pure oxygen? It's just regular AIR. There's no pure oxygen.

Agent_Tachyon

• Hacker
  • Beyond 1337
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Brain
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »

:?   Pure oxygen? It's just regular AIR. There's no pure oxygen.

But isn't the "air" on board split from hydrogen in the water? That WOULD actually be pure oxygen.

Rico

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +24/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2006, 10:14:21 PM »

I guess I'm not too suprised this Kerry thing got so much press.  The Republicans needed something to remind folks how bad for the military Democrats are.  Of course, I think there are several Dems happy about this too.  Hillary jumps to mind, since this'll help her bid for President in 2008, I think.  Personally, I think he was trying to crack a joke about the President.  Even if he wasn't, it's hardly a secret that the majority of military recruits are uneducated.  The military is a great way to get an education and break out of dead-end towns.  Even if you look at it in the worst light, I don't see how you could say he was saying military folks aren't smart or capable.  To me, this is just another case where the media read too far into something that didn't exist.  It didn't help that it came at a time the Reps needed it the most.  Think you kinda have to admire the way they turned this into a hot topic and twisted it to their advantage.

Rico - Army - Not sure what his civillian job is; but you know him as well as I; and I would hardly say he's "uneducated".

Contracted to the gov for computer stuff.  Making way more than the Army paid me  :)
Magnus frater spectat te - Big Brother is watching you
Pages: 1 [2] 3