The Geek Forum

• May 17, 2024, 04:03:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129634
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 18  (Read 14680 times)

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2003, 10:18:09 AM »

Nah for college, I hate school now, and I'm not going to dish out a couple grand (more then that  :shock: ) to go and leave after 90 days.  I hate working, so I'm not going to a resort either  :x   My original plan (before the USAF) was to move in with my mom in MA (It's a lot more relaxed then it is in NJ) and get a job and chill there.  Get my 1993 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 and then just put all my money into that and have fun until I crash and hope I die in the crash because i'll be paying out of my ass until I'm dead for that car anyway.
"Ohhh! That is almost sig quote material.... almost!" - The Judge

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2003, 12:00:11 PM »

Quote from: snyperx
Nah for college, I hate school now, and I'm not going to dish out a couple grand (more then that  :shock: ) to go and leave after 90 days.  I hate working, so I'm not going to a resort either  :x   My original plan (before the USAF) was to move in with my mom in MA (It's a lot more relaxed then it is in NJ) and get a job and chill there.  Get my 1993 Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 and then just put all my money into that and have fun until I crash and hope I die in the crash because i'll be paying out of my ass until I'm dead for that car anyway.

I wish I could go to college again.  That was the best.

I don't understand people who "hate school".  How can you hate learning?  I take classes just for fun now.  I wish I had more time to do it.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

DogStarMan

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +70/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.virtualom.com
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2003, 01:12:40 PM »

Sounds to me snyperxsuffers from the syndrome lazyassiness.  Dude, you don't like to work, but you're gonna join the Air Force?  Did the recruiter lure you in by telling you that you qulified for the job classification: Tactical Couch Potato or what?  That is the biggest load of crap I've read in awhile.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Coolio Points: +106/-3
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2003, 04:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Detta
I don't understand people who "hate school".  How can you hate learning?  I take classes just for fun now.  I wish I had more time to do it.

I think I understand what he means... school for me right now is a place where I am not motivated to learn because I am taught nothing. I try to learn outside of school by reading everything I can get my hands on (well, given time constraints), especially history. Therefore, I "hate school," but like learning.

Snyper's not in college...I'm sure he would like it though. I look forward to St. Mary's College of Maryland next fall...
"Dear pete, lol. U r dum." - Bobert

hob goblin

• Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +2/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ice-on-fire.net
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2003, 05:50:48 PM »

Yes, I don't like school, because its bullshit.  I get bad grades if I don't do homework.  Okay, now, I'm not against WORK, just work when I should be allowed to do other things!

And I really enjoy learning, but I seem to get more done when I'm not confined to highschool teaching guidelines.

blitzrieg bop

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2003, 06:20:47 PM »

I am considering going into the Marines after my senior year of HS (junior now). I want to be a police officer or something along those lines and I think that the Marines would help me get that job...it's gonna be hard though

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2003, 06:59:08 PM »

College was the best 8 years of my life and I hope to go back and collect several other degrees.  I've registed for several classes since I've been out.  Knowledge is a good thing.  Learning is a lifelong process.  Formal education isn't for everyone though, but that doesn't rule out learning and personal growth.  IF one refuses to learn and grow then their a lazy ass like DSM pointed out.  Don't be a lazy ass.

blitzrieg bop

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2003, 07:35:53 PM »

what kind of classes did/do you take?

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2003, 07:58:01 PM »

Quote from: hob goblin
Yes, I don't like school, because its bullshit.  I get bad grades if I don't do homework.  Okay, now, I'm not against WORK, just work when I should be allowed to do other things!

And I really enjoy learning, but I seem to get more done when I'm not confined to highschool teaching guidelines.

That fairly describes me.

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2003, 08:19:07 PM »

Quote from: DogStarMan
Sounds to me snyperxsuffers from the syndrome lazyassiness.  Dude, you don't like to work, but you're gonna join the Air Force?  Did the recruiter lure you in by telling you that you qulified for the job classification: Tactical Couch Potato or what?  That is the biggest load of crap I've read in awhile.

Keep in mind that I was a cashieer at a grocery store for 9 months, that was living fucking hell.  My stepdad owns proptery in RI, and I enjoy putting in 12 hour days for him, I don't care, he pays well, buys me lunch, and doesn't say "Take that off the order" 90 times.

I like to learn, I spend a lot of time learning, but when you are graded on if you did learn, that's what's bleh.  I don't test well, but I prove to my teachers that I know and comprehend everything they teach.

Oh, and as for lazy, I am, but I'm not at the same time.  It really depends if something can hold my intrest.  Someone said I had ADD, but eh.   :?

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2003, 09:09:38 PM »

Quote from: blitzrieg bop
what kind of classes did/do you take?

When I was an undergraduate I was originally taking pre-med type classes.  But I realized that's what my mother wanted and not what I wanted.  So I became a psychology major.  At UC Davis the major requires about 80 quarter units leaving 100+ quarter units for other subjects.  I loved my psychology classes but also enjoyed taking things like Nematology and Human Sexuality.  I was also a Philosophy minor.  Whenever I took a Philosophy course I would grow a beard.  My approach to signing up for classes was to write down every class that sounded interesting along with their schedules.  I would then evaluate them based on course description, time it was scheduled, anticipated work schedule, etc.  Then I'd sign up for six and end up dropping 2 or 3.  I've taken courses from a wide variety of disciplines and since they've always been something I wanted to take, not something I 'had' to take, it was probably more rewarding.

I probably averaged 13 units a quarter because I worked about 50-60 hours a week at various part-time jobs to finance my education and just plain living.  Hence, it took me five years to graduate.  After graduation I worked in a warehouse--blue collar, yo! for about a year and then went off to OKC for Air Traffic Controller training.  Several years later I got the itch and went back to obtain my MBA (Master of Business Administration).  Recent courses I've taken have included a SQL class and an VBA Excel Macro class.

Binoboy

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +5/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2003, 09:51:16 AM »

Quote from: Banshee
Quote from: hob goblin

That fairly describes me.

It's alright. I learned more from Lies My Teacher Told Me than any History class. Then again, that was kinda the whole point of the book, heh. I never knew American history was so damned interesting; it certainly ain't presented that way in school.  :)

Then again, maybe it's how everything you learn changes every 5 seconds. Example:

elementary school: Colombus discovered the Americas.
middle school: Colombus found America while trying to find a trade route to the East Indies
high school: Guided by Cthulhu, Colombus sailed across the ocean to the quiet country of America where he raped and then butchered Indian men, women, children, and buffalo. Any survivors he found were hogtied and boiled alive in acid baths as he performed his dark ritual to bring the wrath of the hellbeasts upon the earth.

OK, the last one's a little exaggerated, but you get the idea....
To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub... Ha ha! ...'Rub'!

aquamego

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ugo.com
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2003, 05:51:10 PM »

i seriously wish i could go to school forver.  Actually, wait, no, not HIGH SCHOOL.  I mean take classes for the rest of my life.  I want to major in so many things.  Right now I'm focusing on Theatre, Cinema Studies, and 2-D Design.  There's so much shit to learn, and if it's available, I'm going to take it and run.  

I would never want to be in the Marines or something like that.  I have total respect for people who are brave enough to do that.  Wow.  But you want to be a cop?  Ouchie.  be a nice one who lets speeders off with a warning ok?

Meg!
"I am not Jesus, though I have the same initials.  I am just the man who stays home and does the dishes." ---Jarvis Cocker of PULP.

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2003, 12:41:53 AM »

If you ever see a kid in a 1993 3000GT VR-4 twin turbo going like a buck ten, ignore him, please?   :)  :)  :)

I like to learn, but I don't like to be taught.  I like to teach myself, hands on.  Books bore me, lectures put me to sleep, but you give me a car and show me how to do something, and let me do it, and I'm happy.  For the last 4 years of high school, I took hands on courses and aced them straight through while not doing so hot in my required courses.  I don't get why the way you learn sets you back and says your a failure, or below average in cases.  Everyones different, right?

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2003, 10:14:14 AM »

Oh yeah, today is the day I turn 18.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2003, 01:21:51 PM »

Happy birthday, flamehead.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2003, 02:59:41 PM »

Hey snyperx, do you play Earth and Beyond?

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2003, 09:05:39 PM »

No, Banshee.  Only thing's I play are EverQuest and... uh... Ok, only thing I play is EverQuest.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2003, 05:46:12 PM »

EverCrack

Stay off that stuff. EnB is so much better anyhow.

snyperx

• Professional Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2003, 06:16:39 PM »

Quote from: Banshee
EverCrack

Stay off that stuff. EnB is so much better anyhow.

You're just jealous!! I only ripped down my entire homepage to devote a site to the Mages of EQ!  Wow, maybe I am addicted.  Oh well, time for another fix.

Chaulis

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +10/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaulis.com
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2003, 11:52:32 AM »

Happy birthday!

I personally hate being 18, people do look at us as kids still but the younger kids look at us as adults. In Michigan the U.G.M.A. laws state your not an adult till 18 even tho we are constantly told 'oh your an adult now! how does it feel?' There really is no differerence unless your living on your own. Personally I feel 18 is the worst age to be dating at as well. Girls our age are full of shit and bitch more than a dying animal. Maybe its just the age but girls suck.

aquamego

• Jail Bait
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ugo.com
woman trouble seeps in again...
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2003, 01:03:39 PM »

wow...you must have been burned bad dude!  :cry:  Chin up friend 'o friend.
"I am not Jesus, though I have the same initials.  I am just the man who stays home and does the dishes." ---Jarvis Cocker of PULP.

Banshee

• Geek
  • Baby-Eater
    • View Profile
    • A Shadow Priest
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2003, 03:00:41 PM »

Yea dude, don't let a girl get you down...no offense ladies, but at a young age, a fella has more than a few things that are more important than any significant other.

Beowulf

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/funkmaztafox/halobuddyfinish.gif
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2003, 07:30:21 PM »

i'll be 18 in april :), that means a dell inspiron, trying to talk my dad into the 8200 model, but it's whatever deal he can cut with his work

Chaulis

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +10/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaulis.com
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2003, 12:20:47 AM »

Its the whole, nice guys finish last routine. Im a nice guy that takes a girl out, holds her coat, opens the door, picks up the check, da da da, manners blah blah blah, im also attractive, atleast i have been told as of late. so the whole deal goes. Oh alex your so sweet, your so nice blah blah blah, i like you so much, blah blah blah, then BAM oh hey i dont want a boy friend right now or oh hey will you buy me this(using me), or oh hey im a bitch so i gotta go now. Im just sick of it all, im done for a while with girls, IM NOT SWITCHING TEAMS, im just takin a time out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3