The Geek Forum

• May 17, 2024, 04:17:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
  • Total Members: 4962
  • Latest: hvWeils
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129633
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: -  (Read 5801 times)

Skananabittles

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +419/-50
    • View Profile
-
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:54 PM »

-
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:58:30 PM by bananaskittles »

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: Woe is me.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:19:24 AM »

"Woe" is right.

We don't know nearly enough about you in order to tell you what college degree is right for you.

Ideally, the degree in which you pursue should have something to do with what you would like to do as a career. You know, something that's more than just a pay check.

I switched from computer science to business administration because I like managing and administrating a business. It's something that's more than a pay check for me.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:28:38 AM »

Like I started to say, I was going for a degree in computer science, but I switched to business administration because I like doing what I'm doing now - restaurant management. I don't know if I could stand the chore of sitting infront of a computer screen every weekday from 9 to 5 and then have the will power to come home and work on personal web ventures such as these forums and The Geekery. I think I've come to the realization that computer science is better off as a hobby and not as a career in my life. That's not true for everyone, of course.

I like being able to implement changes and see how they work out and how they effect the rest of the operations of the store. It's kind of like an intricate game of chess - some days you play against a novice, and others you play against an expert.

Business administration is also a good degree in my opinion because it leaves me with a lot of broad options (Though this could also be a bad thing depending on how you look at it). If I want to get out of the restaurant business in several years down the road I can (possibly) get a job with another company doing management tasks.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »

Find a job doing what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.  Of course, there's no college course that would prepare me for "Personal Guide to the Best Kiteboarding Spots of the World."  And, that wouldn't fit well on a business card.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:02:55 AM »

Welcome to the club.

I started this same train of panic after applying to colleges. Everyone in highschool told me I would probably become an engineer so here I am with a Computer Engineering major. I sort of decided that if I didn't know what I wanted to do with myself, maybe everyone else would. I don't necessarily regret it, but I can't say this is what I want to do with myself for the rest of my life.

All I can say is that something you're passionate about that's "more than a paycheck" may not eventually reveal itself like it does in the movies and with lucky people. It may take some searching on your part.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »

When I got out of high school I could not stand the idea of more school. So instead of wasting time and money on something that would get me nowhere. I joined the Army. It was there that I decided what I wanted to go to school for. So 7 years after I got out of high school I went to college for Electronics Engineering.

And guess what? I'm finding more and more, I don't love it as much as I thought.

So now when I get done with that degree, I'm going to go to school for film editing, cause it is another thing that I really enjoy.

Point? There are a few. First, you don't have to go to college straight out of high school. Don't waste time and money of something that will only end up going in the shitter. Two, your plans might change for your degree, be flexible and do what you love, not what you think you need to do. Also there are more options than the typical University. Vocational schooling, apprenticing and private schools offer other avenues into the workforce.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »

One word of advice; if you decide to make a career out of your "passion" or something you love to do - first imagine it in REAL WORLD terms. Being a recording engineer/producer/musician is fucking fantastic here at home. However; having clients who can never be pleased, someone else's producer second-guessing you every step, looong hours that you sit listening to music you really do NOT like but have to "see it that way" anyway and don't get to call it quits and go home, and people nit-picking everything you do to "their sound" and trying to quibble with the cost, etc, etc.. is NOT a dream job for me.
  I also used to LOVE communications. Ive been the lone phone tech for a HUGE hospital system (7 PBXes + many key systems, etc); also was in several different communications jobs in the military; to include instructing. Very technical; fuckin loved it.
  Been working as a civillian PBX tech now for 12 years straight. The last eight for VerizonBusiness; and I even get to telecommute two of my four worknights.
  But now? FUCK some damn phones. I don't even think all the phone jacks in my own house work; and I really ain't inclined to fix em any time soon.   

Just be really sure you're willing to possibly ruin one of your passions for good for the opportunity to live it. Sometimes a hobby really is just a hobby.

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »

I believe that most major Universities allow for at least a year as 'undeclared' and some have an exploratory program option, and If you need more time than that to think it through why not get your start at community college and transfer when you make up your mind ?

Personally I think the pressure of needing to 'dive-right-in' put on high schoolers is more drawn from myth than reality. Once you've achieved your final academic goals most employers won't care how you've pieced it together.

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »

What's your favourite subject?

Teach it.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »

What's your favourite subject?

Teach it.

Those that can - do.
Those that can't - teach.

:P
Much love Detta :D
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

canoftuna

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +100/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »

I've been out of college for years to "figure" out what I want to do the rest of my life. The problem is, the more of the world I see, the more subjects I'm fascinated by. I think I'm just going to make a wheel with all sorts of different career choices and play career roulette.
"We're on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »

I know.
But I wanna hear what you guys seem to enjoy doing, I need ideas cause I'm completely confused as to what I wanna do.

What I enjoy doing?

Plotting ruthless, vicious revenge, destroying my enemies, working tirelessly to bring about chaos and darkness and increase the entropy of the universe.

It doesn't pay the bills though, so I work in IT, which, while similar in a lot of respects, isn't nearly as satisfying.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

The world will end soon, so don't waste they time you have left planning so far ahead.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »

The world will end soon, so don't waste they time you have left planning so far ahead.

I know!  While I can't take sole credit for it, I do like to think I'm doing my part.

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »

When I was an undergraduate, I was an idealist.  I would go through the entire class schedule and write down anything that was of interest to me.  I'd then do a matrix and pick the six classes that were the most interesting and fit into my work schedule.  I took some really interesting stuff.  After being out in the real world, I realized that I'd need to go back and get an MBA if I wanted to escape poverty.  Worked pretty well for me.

In other words.  Enjoy college.  Explore.  There's always time to go back and do the career move stuff.

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 06:37:10 AM »

There's always time to go back and do the career move stuff.

Sage advice.

It seems nowadays; that's a good skill to have - 'career moves'. There's not many places you can get wallowed in good and be there till retirement. At least; you can't depend on that.
  Which brings up another bit of advice; start some kind of unemployment/retirement savings NOW. Seriously.
 You will change jobs at some point (probably more than once); and that's hard to do without something put back.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:42:18 AM by 12AX7 »

scribcake

• Troll
  • Coolio Points: +42/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 09:08:27 AM »

I'm doing CS/CE because I've always been into nerd stuff and I enjoy it. But I'm fairly sure that if it doesn't work out I'm going to transfer to an art school and pursue a degree in 3D Animation, since that's a big hobby of mine and is one that I really enjoy  :-D

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

i'm going to school for nursing- the job security and pay are appealing- and letting my employer foot the majority of the bill.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut

Jaepheth

• Computer Whore
  • Coolio Points: +114/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »

Major in math, finance, statistics, or actuarial science and become an actuary!

I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.

Pyrenus

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +30/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »

You don't have to pick a specific career right now.  What about a general area?  Law, engineering, medicine, business, IT, etc.

And if you can't figure out what you love doing, think about what you are good at doing.

I don't "love" my career, but I'm good at it, and that makes a big difference.

Dark Shade

• Agent Of The System
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +176/-5
  • "It is inevitable."
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

There's no need to necessarily have a 'set in stone' plan. Just a general idea. You have the rest of your life to change your mind, to do whatever you want to do. The fact that you've narrowed it down puts you in a category others haven't even reached yet! And it's never too late to change your choices! So, have fun!

And don't worry about posting in a 'dead' thread. It wasn't that dead to begin with, and your post definitely has merit.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

Pick a major and change later.  It's easier to get in with a non-impacted major, then just take the classes you want.  You'll probably change your mind several times anyway.  Take a variety of classes and keep an open mind.  I started as a Bio Sci major and ended up with a degree in Psychology, then I went to grad school and obtained my MBA. 

ydnamtnediserp

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +119/-77
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »

good luck!

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: the only proof that he needed for the existence of God was music." -kurt vonnegut