The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 08:16:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 156
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Need help with a question from school...  (Read 5282 times)

Parabola949

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-5
    • View Profile
Need help with a question from school...
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

My instructor posed this question to me, and I'm having a little trouble getting a good answer.  Most pages that I find that seem to be related are about 15 pages long full of a lot of side info that I don't need.  Perhaps someone can offer some insight, maybe a good site to look at?  I don't just want someone to answer it for me, because then how will I learn.  I just need a little direction....  Anyways, here is the discussion board question.

Most computers today follow a simple architecture (stored program) that has been around for dozens of years. What is this architecture called? Why? What's another and why is it different?

Now I did find something about a Von Neumann architecture, but nothing that will help me define it.  Anyone?

Thanks much
PV2 Mangum
HHD 949th FSB, TXARNG

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a question from school...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

Are you looking for information on CPU, motherboard, assembly language, OS, what?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

Parabola949

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »

Well before he changed the question on me, it was "Computers use an architecture (input, process, store, output) which is called....?"  Or something along those lines.  Let me put my instructor this way, here is the discussion board for the first module:

1st PC?

After doing some internet research, discuss what and when was the first "real" personal computer created and who (company, organization, etc.) created it? (Hint: It wasn't the IBM PC!)
   Michael ******10/16/08 02:39

Re:1st PC?
   Technically there were a few computers between '72 and '74 based on the 8008 microprocessor, however the Altair 8800, using the 8080 processor, was more than likely the first publicly known and popular PC.
Justin ******
10/20/08 06:04

His reply was that this wasn't really a PC, as it had no input except switches and no output except lights.

Re:Re:1st PC?
   True, in which case for a PC which had a screen and keyboard, there was the Commodore Pet, developed in 1976.
Justin ******
10/21/08 07:44

His reply to this was that the PET was actually more of a toy, and to find something with usable software and networking abilities.

Re:1st PC?
   what do you mean by networking.... able to connect to each other, or internet / arpanet, and i take it you mean after the first IBM?  I thought you were meaning before the IBM... please advise
Justin ******
10/21/08 04:27

Re:Re:1st PC?
   The first computer I can find with a modem listed as one of it's parts was the Osborne I, from Osborne Computers in 1981
Justin ******
10/21/08 05:18

Re:Re:Re:1st PC?
   Have you ever heard of PARC? Look up what Xerox did in the '70's.
   Michael ******
10/21/08 07:56

Re:Re:Re:Re:1st PC?
   I knew about the Alto and how Xerox invented the GUI.  Didn't realize that's what you were looking for.  '73 is when it was first made, but there were several times that management rejected ideas to market it.
Justin ******

Basically what I'm getting at is it is hard to figure out what he wants for an answer.  However, I cannot stand to have anything less than 100 for a grade lol.
PV2 Mangum
HHD 949th FSB, TXARNG

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »

Compile all those answers you got together into a "history of"; tell/show him what you've found so far, and ask him to please be more specific as to what he wants you to "focus" on. He'll know you're not trying to be lazy about it since you already have many answers. Surely he'll clarify; or he's a really suckass amateurfessor.

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 02:53:04 PM »

I mean; there's no way WE can know what he wants for an answer.

Parabola949

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »

Compile all those answers you got together into a "history of"; tell/show him what you've found so far, and ask him to please be more specific as to what he wants you to "focus" on. He'll know you're not trying to be lazy about it since you already have many answers. Surely he'll clarify; or he's a really suckass amateurfessor.

I think somewhere a miscommunication has occured lol.  The post before of our "conversation" was just as an example of how he posts his questions.  My original post in this thread contains the question I need help with.  The Alto was actually the correct answer on that one, although I have no idea why.  The Alto wasn't even marketed for years.
I'm really just looking for a helpful link to help me answer that question, but anything provided that might help will be greatly appreciated.
PV2 Mangum
HHD 949th FSB, TXARNG

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:50:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure I know what answer you're looking for.

Think processor architecture and how it has evolved since, say, the Intel 8088 up through Pentium, and then to the AMD Athlons of a couple of years ago.

All of those processors have a couple of digits in common, and I think that's what you're looking for.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Parabola949

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »

Found the answer, turned in, and received grade...

Answer were the Von Neumann and Harvard architectures..  Never would have guessed it...  I love wikipedia lol.
PV2 Mangum
HHD 949th FSB, TXARNG

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »

Your teacher was okay with you using Wikipedia as your main source?  Your teacher is a schmuck!
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

MISTER MASSACRE

• Lady Modmalade
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +292/-17
  • inhaling chalk in the old school
    • View Profile
    • twittery
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »

Your teacher is a schmuck!

[citation needed]

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »

[citation needed]
AHAHAHAHA!

If it's common knowledge then you don't need a citation.

Parabola949

• Annoying Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:01 PM »

Just want to say thanks for the effort and time consumed in reading this post by the way.  :-P
PV2 Mangum
HHD 949th FSB, TXARNG