The Geek Forum

• April 29, 2024, 05:21:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129570
  • Total Topics: 7159
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Net Neutrality? Screw That!  (Read 4078 times)

ArmoredSaint

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Net Neutrality? Screw That!
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »

You guys live in US so you will likely don't care but anyway.

In Sweden two new laws have been formed the FRA and Ipred, both handles internet traffic. the most intressting of those are Ipred.

Crash course in IPRED:
   * Film and recording industry may be entitled to receive out who subscribed to a particular IP address on the network at a given time, if they show a court "reasonable evidence" to file the claim from the IP address. A screenshot (which is super easy to fabricate) will most probably be more than enough. This means only that they have greater powers to violate personal privacy than the Swedish police (who can not find out any information  without a break can give at least imprisonment, and often more years imprisonment).

* With these data in hand are they a dunning to the subscriber for internet subscription (which need not be the same person as the hunt pirates). It says it is essentially "pay a monthly salary, otherwise we match up to four months. We have evidence and you can not win. Are you taking it to court, you also pay the costs." Most pay in pure horror to get the problem to disappear. That is how the copyright lobby has done in every other country where they had this right and there is no reason to believe that they would do differently in Sweden. This is nothing but state-sanctioned extortion. Legal security is nonexistent.

* Amount of damages in Sweden has since 1920 had a very strict principle: damages may only be imposed for actual, documented economic damage. This Act amends for it, so that the film and the record industry may sue individuals imagination amounts only to highlight its position of power, without having to show that they lost a penny.

* The hunt pirates convicted in court should be required to pay a newspaper or the equivalent, which states that he or she has been convicted, and for what. This is also something that never occurred before.

* The politicians argue that it all comes from an EU directive, "Sanctions Directive" or IPRED1. It is a pure lie straight up and down. In the first, it requires the EU directive only subscriber data may be generated in connection with a trial, not to private interests is to get them just because they say something. On the other, the Court has expressly down part of the Directive, it no longer applies.

So, this basicly sucks to live in sweden from now on.
IZZATAFACTNOW

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
Re: Net Neutrality? Screw That!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:07:20 AM »

Are you using an online translator to get the English for your posts?  I understand that you're from Sweden and that English is not your first language, but I have to tell you... Your posts are nearly unreadable.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »

jmlr11?

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

Vespertine

• The VSUBjugator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +371/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »

I read that, like, FOUR times, and I still don't understand what it has to do with net neutrality.  Did you mean anti-piracy?
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass.  And, I'm all out of bubble gum.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

a) Your posts are unreadable.
b) We don't all live in the US.
c) I'm really tired of hearing about the piracy issue.  As bad as the RIAA, MPAA and other asshole groups are, a lot of people (like your countrymen who run The Pirate Bay) seem to enjoy pirating copyrighted works out of spite.  Yes, it's nice to download movies and music for free, but it doesn't make you a hero or an activist.  The whole "fuck the man" attitude is juvenile.

</minirant>
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »

From what I can glean, it just got a lot easier for film and music copyright owners to obtain the identities of suspected data pirates. Also, they can mete out more severe penalties. The chief objection to this expansion of authority is that the burden of proof is unfairly shifted to the accused. All the accusers need is easily forged evidence that the accusor's IP address was used to perform illegal downloads.

And now, in Swedish:

Från vad JAG kanna plocka , den rättvis fik en lott lättare för hinna och musik upphövsrätt egendomsrätt till få den identiteten av misstänkt datan sjörövaren. Också , de kanna atmosfär briljans ute mer sträng straff. Den huvudman invändningen till den här utbredande av myndighet er det alt lasten av bevis är orättvis skiftat till anklagat. Alla anklagare behov är lätt kämpa sig fram bevis så pass den accusor's IP adress var använd till utföra illegal data överför.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

A møøse once bit my sister.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »

Från vad JAG kanna plocka , den rättvis fik en lott lättare för hinna och musik upphövsrätt egendomsrätt till få den identiteten av misstänkt datan sjörövaren. Också , de kanna atmosfär briljans ute mer sträng straff. Den huvudman invändningen till den här utbredande av myndighet er det alt lasten av bevis är orättvis skiftat till anklagat. Alla anklagare behov är lätt kämpa sig fram bevis så pass den accusor's IP adress var använd till utföra illegal data överför.

There's no Swedish words for "illegal" and "data"? That's just weird.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »

"Fuck The Man" is a beautiful philosophy, and we should have more of it in the world, not less.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

ivan

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +499/-50
  • Not a Mod, nor a Rocker. A Mocker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »

"Fuck The Man" is a beautiful philosophy, and we should have more of it in the world, not less.

I thought you were Xolik for a second there.
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -Detta

xolik: WHERE IS OBAMA'S GIFT CERTIFICATE?
Demosthenes: Is that from the gifters movement?

Detta: Crappy old shorts and a tank top.  This is how I dress for work. Because my job is to get puked on.
Demosthenes: So is mine.  I work in IT.

bananaskittles: The world is 4chan and God is a troll.

RelandR

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +91/-4
  • This portion of the page intentionally left blank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

You mean Ping Ping's a d00d ?

Leonidas

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +25/-6
  • Bad penny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 03:24:11 AM »

Does this anti-piracy wankery extend to Lazytown?

http://piratelazytown.ytmnd.com/

Just curious.  Answerplzkthnx.