The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 08:44:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Critique my ad please  (Read 1988 times)

12AX7

Critique my ad please
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:33:29 AM »

I'm going to try to put together a small hobby project to play some local places on the weekends/holidays, so I wrote this ad. Since it's so long and I haven't looked at the costs of posting it or the character limits if free; I'll probably just set it up as a web page of some sort and actually post just a short ad directing them to the page.
  What I'm looking for from you guys is things like:
  *does anything in the ad "invite" dumbasses, losers, liars, and deadbeats specifically;
  *have I contradicted myself anywhere; 
  *am I clear in what I'm looking for and what I plan to produce?
  *Anything else you recommend

Looking to start a band; mainly covers of classic rock, some 80's metal, and a lotta 90's alt rock. Am also very open to collaborating on originals; but the focus of the "official" band will be covers. I use the term 'official' loosely, as this will be a hobby band; but it will be the most serious hobby band you've ever seen. Any applicants need to have a real job; as I've no intention of taking on the pressures of trying to make a living out of this, or being a part of someone else trying to make a living from it. This band will be fun; when it stops being fun, we're done.

I expect at least one rehearsal a week; more likely two; and expect to be rehearsing several months before even attempting to book. One thing I do not want to do is get out in front of people and not be ready. As I said; it will be a hobby - but a most serious one. This isn't a jam group, experimental project, beginner's course, or karoake.

While I do have everything a band could possibly need; I do expect that if you apply, you have your own instrument and way to transport it. I have a really hard time believing you can wail on the drums if you don't even own a kit, see what I'm sayin'? I've owned a kit for several years, and I suck playing drums. So don't even...  That being said; as far as rehearsals go, if we rehearse here at my home studio the drummer will be more than welcome to use my kit instead of hauling her/his own back and forth or having to leave it here. Just be equipped to haul your kit out to the venue or to our studio (I have a truck and trailer to haul everything from here).

I can rudimentarily play everything, but my instrument of choice is guitar. I usually would rather play rhythm or "second" (for harmonies) guitar, and throw out a lead every now and then; but that's not set in stone at this point. If we find two guitarists that really click great playing together; I'd be more than happy to jump over on bass or even keyboard. I'm waiting to see what caliber of guitarists respond before I say "need one guitarist" or "need one lead player". Ideally, we find one lead guitarist, one bass player; and I'll be on the other guitar.

Needed also is a singer. Hopefully one who responds plays and sings. If you're a singer only, be advised you'll be the 'front man' by default; and we are looking to put on a highly energetic and engaging show, so ya can't just stand there and do faces. : )  All the members should be able to use a mic; whether it's for backups, a song you can sing well, or just audience engagement. We want to be flamboyant, interactive, and memorable; we don't want regular-dressed Joes nonchalantly standing in one spot all night focused entirely on the necks of their guitars. People can LISTEN to music at home. Out at a venue; they've come to SEE you. Give them something to watch!

For more information contact blahblahblah

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:22:15 AM by 12AX7 »

12AX7

Re: Critique my ad please
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »

This isn't a jam group, experimental project, beginner's course, or karoake.

Not that there's anything at all uncool about karoake, um, dc.

:-D

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:46:24 AM »

Why ya wanna point me out?   :-D

It looks to me like you've stated your case quite clearly.  If you put it in the paper just make sure the short re-direct to a web page has a short url.  Maybe to your main page with a big button to click to get to the page.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »

Why ya wanna point me out?   :-D

hehe.. Do you still do that? Man, that can be So much fun! :-D
 I've actually been going to ask you where you get your karoake music from. I was thinking it'd be great to work on my vocals with; no existing vocal for me to inadvertently "track' with while trying to sing with my own voice.

HeavyJay

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +72/-1
  • Gorn Tamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »

That's pretty damn clear.  The only thing I would take out is "(you don't want me on drums, lol)", which sort of takes away from the I'm-not-fucking-around tone.
"Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!" -- JR "Bob" Dobbs

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »

Good point.

dcrog

• Banned on the run
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +253/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »

Yeah, I still do it.  My brother-in-law is a KJ so we go to his shows.  I know that I'm not American Idol talent but most people like to hear me sing.  At least that's what they tell me.   :lol:

But we do have a pretty good time with it.

He buys all of his discs and I make back ups for him to use instead of his originals.  The wife buys a few also.

Old enough to know better.
Apparently not wise enough.

And who says with age come's wisdom?