The Geek Forum

• April 27, 2024, 04:38:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129551
  • Total Topics: 7148
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895  (Read 7869 times)

12AX7

What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA .. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina , and reprinted by the Salina Journal. 

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of 'lie,''play,' and 'run.'
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. For tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000.. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft.. Long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent..
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus 
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States 
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas 
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton , Bell , Lincoln , Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)

1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals& nbsp;
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
5.. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8.. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, f ain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)

1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America 
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia , Odessa , Denver , Manitoba , Hecla , Yukon , St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco 
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

Makes kids today look like total tards.

12AX7

Re: What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »

I shouldn't call them total tards.
That might hurt their feelings and cause them to be stressed and miss the question comprising their own final exam.  (Who won American Idol the first season?)

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:38:28 AM »

That was Kelly Clarkson!

The rest i'll pass.

Nice post btw.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »

Us Kansans don't get any free rides.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »

I'd say about 90% is useless information today, and even if it's not, it's a lot more important to know how to find the information than to have it memorized.  Not to say that kids today aren't tards, just that it has no relation to this list.

And let us not forget the usual reply to 12's posts... http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/a/1895exam.htm

"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »

I'd say about 90% is useless information today, and even if it's not, ...
Well why don't you read the damn thing, and you'd KNOW whether or not 90% of it is useless today. Here; since I actually read it, I struck out what's not relevant today. That leaves us with about 90% that's still valid.

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
7. - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts.bushel, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per metre
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607 1620 1800 1849 1865.

1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.'
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: Bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound:Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences, cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America.
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fermandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.

it's a lot more important to know how to find the information than to have it memorized.
Find it? Like, in a textbook?
 That idea is great for adults, but kids (especially still in 8th grade) need to be taught information first; not just told how to look it up.

And let us not forget the usual reply to 12's posts... http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/a/1895exam.htm
  Now this part I really don't get. If you wanted to disqualify my post, you could've come up with something better than a page that says "it doesn't know". This is the best you could do?
 They give three reasons why they suspect it's a hoax; then point out that there's "no reason to believe it isn't what it says it is". LMAO. That's some conspiracy there. Let's see...

1. "It doesn't say anywhere on there that it's for 8th grade."
 I went to school for 12 years and I don't recall ever taking a test that had what grade it was for printed on it. Detta? Is that some new (since 1895) rule? 8th grade tests must have "8th grade" printed on them?

2. "Second, the document describes itself as being administered orally and for "applicants.""
 Ah. I see. I see how it's all a hoax now. 8th graders can't be applicants to a test. That approach only came into being in the 1980's. BUSTED!  |>

3. Third, some of the questions don't seem to be oriented toward students, but rather toward a teacher or a teacher applicant, for example:
    4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?

So, instead of reviewing a teaching applicant's work history, education, experience, etc; they require an applicant to pass a written test (on 8th grade level) with only ONE question at all pertaining to actually filling the job. Somehow I don't think that's the case. I'm just guessing, of course, but I would think their hiring practices would be a bit more involved.

Going past all that; please clue me in on why the hell someone would try to create a hoax about an 8th grade test in Kansas? The idea occurred to you; you looked up/found this on a truth or fiction site; which is why I ask you.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:41:10 PM »

"the distance around which is 640 rods?" included on the 'applicable today' list?  Gimme a break.
I can get with keeping some of the math, but almost all the rest is stuff you should be taught how to find and not waste time and effort memorizing.

Now this part I really don't get. If you wanted to disqualify my post, you could've come up with something better than a page that says "it doesn't know". This is the best you could do?
 They give three reasons why they suspect it's a hoax; then point out that there's "no reason to believe it isn't what it says it is". LMAO. That's some conspiracy there. Let's see...

You are missing the point as usual.  I am not saying it's a hoax, an urban myth, or anything else.  I'm saying this has been going around for years and it reeks of urban legend, whether it is real or not.  And as usual, you go posting it as gospel when even a cursory search would have called it into question, if not debunked it outright.

Going past all that; please clue me in on why the hell someone would try to create a hoax about an 8th grade test in Kansas? The idea occurred to you; you looked up/found this on a truth or fiction site; which is why I ask you.
Because people have agendas.  Some people like to tell themselves that everything in the past was better, and that we should go back to doing things they way they did then.  You can conclude for yourself the extent of societal change that would entail, and who it would be good and bad for.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

jeee

• Dork
  • Coolio Points: +189/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »

At least you two bicker like 8th graders.

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

At least you two bicker like 8th graders.

I think the both of you are acting like four-year-olds, and I think the both of you should shut up and got to YOUR ROOMS!

So I am improving!  8-)

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »

I struck out what's not relevant today.

. . .

5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.

Speak for yourself, Sir!  :x
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:31:23 PM »

Speak for yourself, Sir!  :x
   Nice. One disparages the entire test, deeming it 90% useless;  no reply.
   I strike out a line and get my head bit off.  :x

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 08:43:01 PM »

Well, Joe had the advantage of not being specific. I was betting on that one being in the top 10%

12AX7

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

Kansas is an urban myth; there is no "history".

12AX7

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »

I can get with keeping some of the math, but almost all the rest is stuff you should be taught how to find and not waste time and effort memorizing.
      That statement is so out of touch with reality I have to assume you're taking that point of view solely to be devil's advocate.

I am not saying it's a hoax, an urban myth, or anything else.  I'm saying this has been going around for years and it reeks of urban legend, whether it is real or not.  And as usual, you go posting it as gospel when even a cursory search would have called it into question, if not debunked it outright.
   I see. Well, I'm not really that suspicious or paranoid of a person to need to do a search -cursory or otherwise- on everything I come across. There are some things that really just don't matter that much. Like a test for 1895 8th graders. If it's  OMG!  not an actual 8th grade test; who cares? Seriously?
   I posted nothing "as gospel", either; I posted it as "Neat. Check this out." - ya know- instead of forwarding that email to all the members here, like it was forwarded to me. And apparently you, at some point in the past? 

Because people have agendas.  Some people like to tell themselves that everything in the past was better, and that we should go back to doing things they way they did then.  You can conclude for yourself the extent of societal change that would entail, and who it would be good and bad for.

Wow. Ok, again, I'm not really this paranoid; so your expectations of how I review things I post might be a bit inflated. I saw it as a neat item to share here;  you see it as... some sort of agenda or indoctrination to reversal of society or something. I'm still not sure what about the email/post sets off Red Flags for you; but I admit- whatever it was flew right over my head.
   If you have an 8th grader, and I inadvertently have insulted or offended you ( or any other member - parent or TEACHER ); I sincerely apologize. I was generalizing to invoke humor at the expense of 8th graders, and of course this was insensitive of me. I acknowledge that 8th graders are probably not as "tarded" as I projected.