The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 01:56:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Google Chrome OS  (Read 3540 times)

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +567/-72
  • Just try me. See what happens.
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
Google Chrome OS
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »

Coolio Points: 89,000,998,776,554,211,222
Detta Puzzle Points: 45

Banning forum idiots since 2001

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
Re: Google Chrome OS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »

I heard that is was mainly for netbooks, and I would guess it probably is built up from android.  My guess is that if cloud computing/remote server apps really come to fruition, chrome would probably be promoting that and desktop OSes would probably just die out.  If this is the case, is chrome going to have a buddy OS that will replace solaris/etc. in the server world?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:05:20 PM »

This sounds like something I'd want to try out. I've gone from have a loud, dual processor system to having a small dual-core shuttle system that can't even be heard when it's running and I've also migrated from a conventional-sized laptop to a net book. One thing I have realized is that for a home setup, a shuttle is more practical as it's more quiet and throws off less heat, and net books are more versatile for on the go travel because they are smaller and more light weight.

If Google can master an operating system that will run as quickly as they say, and store user data on a remote location that is secure, Microsoft might want to start rethinking the way they do business - and quickly.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »

Haven't we been talking about "cloud" computing, under various names, for about 15 years now? Outside of some specialized environments, the "dumb terminal" model has never worked, mainly (in my estimation) because hardware keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and there's no financial incentive to go to a centralized computing clearinghouse.
That said, I like Google, even though I don't think they are as un-Evil as they should be. They are very good at Wizardry like this so maybe they can succeed where others have failed.
He doesn't mention the license, but he does mention help from the open-source community. So if it is truly open-source and freely distributable, then I think they've really got something.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »

Well, I believe they've mentioned in other press releases that it'll be GPL'd, or something roughly equivalent.

Though like the Mozilla Foundation, I'm sure it'll be a cold day in hell before they accept any contributions from anyone that isn't part of their inner circle.

mryellow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +22/-5
  • "Embrace your inner geekiness"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »

I am really excited about this. Linux's got some potential but is still too rough around the edges: Google has both the pulling power as well as the resources and experience to finally trim it into a nice package. I would trade raw, "typing meaningless commands in a terminal" power for a more polished Google dumbed-down thing any day. I am willing to bet that many people would give it a try, based on the well-known and trusted Google brand. As a web developer, the heavy focus on "the browser is pretty much the OS" means I can reach an even larger audience and will probably be able to do all sorts of cool things on the desktop for a change.

By the way, I don't believe it will be limited to cloud computing. I will never entrust my personal documents to anyone, I must have them locally and nowhere else. I would never use Google Documents for anything serious. I think a majority of people and all businesses feel the same way: Google is not stupid and knows this (heck, Google knows everything!). What I think might happen is that web developers can utilize a special framework that adds desktop-capabilities, so that we can build web applications that act like true desktop applications. The actual browser fades into the background, users don't realise they are actually using a web application. Given the enormous speed increases they've helped instill into the browser's various Javascript engines, I surely think the potential is there. I like that prospect very much.
... you're missing the point! The individual doesn't matter. It was a team effort, and I was the one who came up with the whole team idea... ME!

Demosthenes

• Evil Ex-HN Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Zombo
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »

I would trade raw, "typing meaningless commands in a terminal" power for a more polished Google dumbed-down thing any day.

They're only meaningless if you don't understand them.   :slap

mryellow

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +22/-5
  • "Embrace your inner geekiness"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »

I know your reply was tongue in cheek but I still find it a typical response that I hear often in the 'community'. Somehow those who have 'mastered' the terminal gibberish consider that an act of elitist pride, which I think it misplaced and hurting the effort by others to make Ubuntu and other distributions more accessible and a true Windows/Mac replacement.

Having the option to go the power user route through the terminal is great, let there be no doubt about it. I run Ubuntu on my EEE netbook and I love how I can get that much closer to setting things up precisely they way I want it. It is painfully missing in Windows. A GUI can never approach that completely, but the point is that it ought to get close, even if to the power user it seems like a waste of time to click through all those dialogs. A GUI is essential because you should not expect the vast majority of users (who have every right to manage THEIR computers) to go the terminal route. I still think the majority of people in the community do not or do not want to understand this. That's why every HOW TO still assumes you will want to go the quick and dirty terminal way, the point where 90% of prospective users will stop reading. A complete lack of understanding on what the average Windows/Mac user is like. Take my field for example: every web developer who thinks Internet Exporer is the majority's browser of choice makes a critical error in judgement. When asked, a majority of people would answer "Google" or "that blue e-thingy", which gives a good indication of how much of a choice it is and how much people understand what they are doing. The computer should do what they want, not the other way around. The point is not that they are stupid or anything, simply not everyone cares in the same way and if you do not understand that, building a web application people can and will work with is doomed to fail.

The Mac is testimony for how difficult it is to get people to change anything at all: even as the iPod, iPhone and Safari leave people thoroughly impressed, a growing but still relatively minor group makes the actual switch to the Mac. Microsoft is not yet worried. The fact that Ubuntu's market share is more or less stagnant with very little growth proves in my eyes that Ubuntu is a great OS, but not for the majority of people. Instead of denying it and giving someone like me all sorts of bullshit arguments on how I am wrong and working in the terminal is the way to go, they ought to open their eyes if they truly care about making Ubuntu a truly viable alternative. I don't see such a major shift happening and personally I believe that within a few years, no one will remember Ubuntu or Linux and Google OS will have already caught up to the Mac market share and growing. Because they do see the potential and realise what it missing. And it is all about GUI. Please revive this thread in a few years.
... you're missing the point! The individual doesn't matter. It was a team effort, and I was the one who came up with the whole team idea... ME!

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »

I found this article to be fairly interesting.

The product isn't even out yet and they are doubting it's capabilities.

Someone raised the following question elsewhere: "What if your internet connection goes down?" That's something Google is going to have to answer and fight with time and time again.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »

Haven't read the entire thread but I saw mentions of cloud computing and I thought I'd mention that one of the big pushes in MS Office 2010 is cloud computing and web-apps.

Just sayin'.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

Chaulis

• Jail Bait
  • Coolio Points: +10/-1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaulis.com
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

Has anyone here built and installed the GOS? There's a VM of it from gdgt.