The Geek Forum

• May 17, 2024, 08:22:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129634
  • Total Topics: 7189
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bitching about Exs  (Read 8588 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +286/-8
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
Re: Bitching about Exs
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »

not all mcdonald's are like that. granted most are. there is one 5 minutes from my house with terrible, inefficient, impolite service. but i choose to drive 15 minutes to get to the one i work at. its smaller but much better service. not everyone is great but for the most part we get paid to work so we work. i just have to complain about the people who spend half an hour sitting at the order board deciding what they want and back up the whole line making other people wait. polite customers get polite service. rude assholes get rude asshole service.

You have to take what you're given and work with it. Some areas have more regular customers than others which helps with speed, and other areas have more one-timers than others due to their locations. Granted, some locations are faster than others, and most locations do slow down during the summer months because of increased volume and larger orders thus quickly creating bottle necks at order taking locations. A lot of it is lack of guidance on part of the shift manager, (IE. PRIDE or Personal Responsibility In Developing Excellence) and other factors include lack of training or experience or in some instances faulty equipment.

Your average McDonald's restaurant makes about 6 cents on the dollar as cold hard profit after everything is all said and done, so every little bit counts when the margins are that thin. So explain to your managers that by delivering rude service or a crappy product, they will decrease repeat visits and ultimately drive them into talking about "high labor" that you've probably heard about. I bet only two of the managers there really know how much they actually make on food, or how much "base to actual" really is.

12AX7

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »

i bet your'e a polite customer, some manners go a long way to minimum wage workers. i don't give a damn if mcdonald's makes an extra dime but if a customer is nice and pleasant then i see to it that they get the same treatment

I am. I can't understand how one can be rude to someone serving them for barely enough to make rent. Especially drive-thrus. OMG! - Id be fired and have charges pressed in my first thirty minutes if I had to deal with some of the stuff they wade through. I'd say a good 95% of drive thru workers are doing an OUTSTANDING job when you consider all the factors.
   Same goes for workers like waitresses. I usually leave a huge tip. A lot of them don't even make minimum wage because of the "tips" scheme. So unless they are really blatantly rude or negligent, I leave way more than 15%.

sociald1077

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +129/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 01:58:35 AM »

Same goes for workers like waitresses. I usually leave a huge tip. A lot of them don't even make minimum wage because of the "tips" scheme. So unless they are really blatantly rude or negligent, I leave way more than 15%.

I do the same. Those people work long hard days for pay that's often far below minimum wage because of the tip scheme. Tips (imo) should be just that, a gesture of appreciation, not a way to break even.
"Guns don't kill people! PHYSICS kill people!" - Dick Soloman

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 07:21:46 AM »

We usually make $3.13/ hour regular wages. The rest we have to make up in tips.

I hate McD's food. I've never been treated poorly at one, I just hate the food.

As for the "shift change" bit, I LoL'ed. Probably a crappy night for someone. I have been guilty of similar behavour as a food service worker.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

BizB

• Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +439/-15
  • Keep making circles
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »

...I usually leave a huge tip. A lot of them don't even make minimum wage because of the "tips" scheme. So unless they are really blatantly rude or negligent, I leave way more than 15%.
I leave a minimum of 20% unless I've been neglected during my stay.  Sometimes, I look at what these wait staff people earn and I consider leaving my job to go wait tables.

For example, at dinner the other night, there were 5 of us eating.  We were there for one hour.  We spent roughly $100.  We left a $25 tip.
That waiter waited on 4 similar tables while we were there.  That means that he made approximately $80 in tips for that hour (assuming that everyone tipped near 20%).

...then I remember that the waiter probably sat through the post-lunch service and the post-dinner service hours where he waited on one table per hour and there were only 2 people at that table and they only had appetizers - leaving a tip of $2.00. And, he has to share that tip with the bus-boy and probably the dish-washer.  AND, he has to report the entire tip to the IRS.

People who don't tip well piss me off.
Without me, it's just 'aweso'.

FleetStrike

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +3/-3
  • Would You Kindly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »

drive-thru can be good and bad, like i said the way the customers act make or break the day. another thing to remember is that fast food workers don't have one job to worry about, we have to multi-task. and im not trying to complain, i know other people have more stressful jobs out there. but a lot of the time when im taking money and orders im also washing dishes (which exist in surprisingly large amounts). i wouldn't want to be a waiter though with the shit they put up with. i think drive-thru customers can be bad but they leave after you give them their money. sit-in restaurant customers are there for much much longer.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

12AX7

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »

Not only cos I'm a decent cat; but I'm sorta scared to piss off a food server. In the military you learn there are two people NOT to fuck with; cooks, and supply people. You might think you just taught that rude server a thing or two. Rest assured; you're probably eating his spit, or worse.
   No; pissing off people who handle your food is not a good idea.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

You are correct Biz, the one or two good hours are also primarily on Fri night through Sun brunch, so that $25 tip you left may be 10% of the weekly income for the server.  The dead times are really hard.
* pbsaurus is so glad he escaped food service.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »

We're going through a dead time here right now. On a Friday or Saturday night I'll go home with maybe $40 in tips... if I'm lucky. I can't wait until fall and winter when business around here picks back up. I'm fortunate not to have to tip a buss-boy, but on a busy night, I will end up needing to tip out the bartender.

Also when it comes to foodservice consider where you're at. The server at Ruth Chris is taking home better tips than the one at Denny's. The server in New York City is making more than the one in Po-Dunk USA.

I've never spat in anyone's food. (holds up right hand)

I have however pretended to "accidentally" spill a drink on a few assholes. I am also guilty of dumping hot sauce on someone's curry because they asked for it, "Asian people hot"... whatever the hell that means, then sent it back because it wasn't spicy enough. I made him cry. He had made several other racist slurs. I felt vindicated. I have also let a table sit for a good twenty minutes before bringing to-go boxes to the table.
Just be a decent human being. And generally the quality of your food will go unthreatened.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

12AX7

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »

Would you spit on me if I ordered your furburger with a side of thighs and sighs?  :-P   :-D

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »

drive-thru can be good and bad, like i said the way the customers act make or break the day. another thing to remember is that fast food workers don't have one job to worry about, we have to multi-task. and im not trying to complain, i know other people have more stressful jobs out there. but a lot of the time when im taking money and orders im also washing dishes (which exist in surprisingly large amounts). i wouldn't want to be a waiter though with the shit they put up with. i think drive-thru customers can be bad but they leave after you give them their money. sit-in restaurant customers are there for much much longer.

In what McDonald's do you work? City / State?

FleetStrike

• Annoying Newbie
  • Would You Kindly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »

western maryland, mchenry. deep creek lake area.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »

I am also guilty of dumping hot sauce on someone's curry because they asked for it, "Asian people hot"... whatever the hell that means, then sent it back because it wasn't spicy enough. I made him cry. . .

I pulled this one. Our basic sauces were hot and mild. The hot being a tinge spicier, but not really hot. For this reason, we would keep a homemade Habanero Chile relish to mix in.

This guy literally asked for it, so we gave it to him. He spent the whole time picking food off his kid's plates because his was too hot. It made me smile.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

western maryland, mchenry. deep creek lake area.

Ah, the good old BWA region. They were a rowdy bunch at the McDonald's Peak Fest '09 this year in Orlando, Florida.

...You guessed it. I'm a general manager of a McDonald's restaurant in the Philadelphia region.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »

If I ever want really spicy Indian food, I just ask the server to ask to chef to "prepare it the way he (the chef) would eat it" and that usually gets me something so hot it takes tongs to bring the plate to me.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

FleetStrike

• Annoying Newbie
  • Would You Kindly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »

Ah, the good old BWA region. They were a rowdy bunch at the McDonald's Peak Fest '09 this year in Orlando, Florida.

...You guessed it. I'm a general manager of a McDonald's restaurant in the Philadelphia region.

i apologize but i cant tell if you're being serious or screwin with me. im a newer employee so i dont know about a peak fest '09

12AX7

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »

Chris doesn't kid. If he tells you your head is about to explode; it really is.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Hacker
  • IT'S A TARP
    • View Profile
    • The Geekery
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »

i apologize but i cant tell if you're being serious or screwin with me. im a newer employee so i dont know about a peak fest '09

Ask your store's GM about it. Most likely s/he or someone s/he knows attended it this year in Orlando. Any job advice, and I'm your man with almost a decade of McDonald's experience.

FleetStrike

• Annoying Newbie
  • Would You Kindly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »

well first off please don't tell me my head is about to explode, that would probably not help with my job at all
Pages: 1 [2]