The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 02:27:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129555
  • Total Topics: 7152
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: File Opening / Application association question  (Read 1674 times)

12AX7

File Opening / Application association question
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »

If I open the application; and then File>Open> and choose the file, it opens fine, can be edited and saved, etc. It behaves completely normal.
   However, if I start from the file and use it to open the Application; it opens the application and a New, blank file and gives application pop-up errors about "Failed to launch blahblahblhablah...sky. abc"; "Failed to launch blahblahblhablah...ground. abc" 
 If you proceed to open the file through the application; it opens, and behaves completely normal.
 I have the associations set correctly, so any ideas as to what gives? This has occurred with every file I've created in this app, and on every machine I've had this app installed on.
   The app is Punch! Pro ; if that makes any difference. Also; it is the file itself I'm talking about; not a shortcut.

12AX7

Re: File Opening / Application association question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »

Also, if it makes any difference; these files are . . . layered? Like  .psd files in Photoshop. The program lets you do blueprints, riser diagrams, landscaping, etc all saved in that one file.

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »

I'd say that if it is the exact same file you are using to "file->open", I can't understand why there would be a difference. Unless, of course, your OS is de-layering the file when you open it directly.

Edit: Is there a file that this same app can open that isn't layered? Maybe test that.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »

I'd say that if it is the exact same file you are using to "file->open", I can't understand why there would be a difference. Unless, of course, your OS is de-layering the file when you open it directly.
It IS the same file; I couldnt understand a difference either. The OS de-layering it sounds plausible...

Edit: Is there a file that this same app can open that isn't layered? Maybe test that.
  There's not. It only opens/uses it's own, proprietary filetype (.PRO); and there's no other 'Save As' option.