The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 10:38:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129554
  • Total Topics: 7151
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 6309 times)

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +1/-15
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:04 PM »

Short review: I want to like it, but it just feels off to me, boring yes, and something else is weird about it, I can't really say what. It just is... odd.

agreed, I have astigmatism in one eye, sometimes it takes me a second to adjust focus, I feel like for those without perfect vision, it is somewhat difficult to take in the 3d transitions...

Story is recycled garbage, whatever, irrelevant, this does not separate it from any other blockbuster hit of this genre of the past ten years, or perhaps longer.

My qualm is with the actual 3d/cg part, I for one, could not truly ever get immersed into the imagery of the film... i found especially when the close-ups happened it was impossible not to be "taken out" of the experience... my visual senses simply could not process the rapid changes in the field of depth which I think were the inherent flaw of the movie.

there were certain scenes, such as the slow moving scenes in the first 15 minutes that take place in the lab and such, where I felt you could truly be immersed in the movie, but many of the close ups on the avatar planet, whatever it was called, like of the floating tree spirit things, couldn't be processed.

maybe I have a flaw, but I suspect I'm not the only one who felt this way, and maybe there is just a certain percentage of people who cannot process the imagery as it was intended, like those who see rainbow striping in DLP televisions.

who knows.  I am often to prone to see "the wizard behind the curtain" and though this movie really made probably the best attempt I've ever seen to truly take computer generated graphics to a level of realism never known before, i still find the primitive special effects of the original star wars trilogy to be far more captivating than anything I've seen to date.

not to mention whoever they got to play the main character, joe marine jimmyfuck, was an absolute and total douche and unrelatable to anyone, even other extreme and total douches.

characters lacked any semblance of depth, and maybe that's why i couldn't buy it.  the mind is a complicated instrument.

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »

I'm personally a fan of Troma's special effects.  I find the low tech/low budget stuff to be far more creative.

acluett

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 01:53:13 AM »

Avatar is one of the greatest movies of all time.
The interwoven symbolism is very deep. The realism
is spectacular and the story line is eye opening.
Thank you James Cameron for bringing something to
the big screen that is outstandingly entertaining.

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »

Avatar is one of the greatest movies of all time.
The interwoven symbolism is very deep. The realism
is spectacular and the story line is eye opening.
Thank you James Cameron for bringing something to
the big screen that is outstandingly entertaining.

Grow a pair and stop posting as a guest.

Also, what symbolism? Obtainium?
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

MadOne

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +6/-5
    • View Profile
    • the awesomer
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 01:10:43 AM »

alright acluett avatar was not on of the greatest movies of all time. I found that the entire plot straight from TV tropes and very predictable. Also the only thing that was interesting was the graphics and it wasn't so revolutionary that it deserves to be one of the greatest of all time. I find it was only worth watching for the graphics and i found that really cool because i am a huge nerd.

Finally i had a group of us who went to see it and on of showed up half way through the movie, once we left we got an ear full because he spent his last 10 bucks on half a movie that he knew the end to after 10 minutes that alone makes removes the movie from the outstanding entertainment.

In the end i still thought it was worth the 3d only not anything else

joyhitech

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 05:34:47 AM »

I think avatar is the best movie for me because I live TITANIC from Mr.Jame Cameron

Wunderkind

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +419/-36
  • drunk and practicing witchcraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »

Your ship is sinking.

Just thought you should know.
Because you either live life - bruises, skinned knees and all - or you turn your back on it and start dying. -- Captain Pike
I clicked 12AX7's banner.

DJ_random

• Annoying Newbie
  • Coolio Points: +2/-4
  • gogo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 05:04:10 PM »

I guess I wasn't here to discuss the disastrous movie known as Avatar. I'll say the same thing that has been said since the movie has come out. Plot = fail. 3D = slightly saved the movie.
I guess the plot of almost every blockbuster movie is quite.. 'FAIL'.
to geek or not to 1337

pbsaurus

• Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +354/-31
  • Everyone Loves The King Of The Sea
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipperpete
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »

I don't ever think I've seen a movie about busting blocks.
Pages: 1 [2]