The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 01:38:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: Game saves  (Read 1795 times)

12AX7

Game saves
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

This could probably go in the rant section as well.

Could someone tell me why -in a game that allows 'saves'- you would be restricted in when you can save and how many saves you may have? I'm playing GRAW2, and it allows

only three saves at any given time; and in some situations during gameplay saves are not allowed. What's the point of that? I bought the game and it's my hard drive space; I

should be able to save whenever/however many times I like. If you want to add difficulty to the game; do it in the game. Put more enemy, use better AI, etc., etc.  Restricting

my save ability doesn't make the game any more difficult; it just makes playing it more annoying. The game is difficult in some places; and it really wears on my desire to

play it when I make it through two or three distinct, difficult scenarios taking say, 45 minutes, only to get killed and have to go do all of that over again. It gets really boring too.

*Dude over here... POW! "Target is down!"

*Dude oooover . . . here - POW! "Target is down!"

*two dudes in the bunker over here...  BANG!BANG! "Target is "Target is down!"

*watch the land mine....

*duck and crawl from here....

*...to here, now you can get up and run...

*wait- where's the dude that supposed to be- aha. There he is. POW! "Target is down!"

If you'd let me save the game; I could play it through, and by the time I finished; Ive forgotten the first half- ready to play it again. This way however, in addition to being

annoyed; I can't play the game again. Because I cant save; I have to play the same scenes over and over, thus memorizing the entire thing and associating it with being

annoyed.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:35:12 PM by 12AX7 »

Novice

• Forum Ninja
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +205/-10
  • Thread Killer 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Game saves
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »

I think much of it has to do with the fact that the developers think we're all idiots with no common sense. For example, if I could save anytime I wanted, I might save seconds before getting my head blown off by 20 enemies. Assuming I overwrite my previous saves with the new one, I might be stuck in an endless loop of getting my head blown off.

This is one reason why developers might pick certain situations with low or no action to auto-save or to allow you to save.

As an example, I have been playing FF8 on an emulator on my laptop. The emulator itself has a 'quicksave' option that I can use whenever I want during the game (comes in handy for card games / battles with no save points). However, I accidentally did a 'quicksave' while the emulator was loading the disc image which did an overwrite on my game.

Now, this is obviously a very specific example of something going wrong when the user is given all the power to save whenever he/she wants, but illustrates the human error that could happen.
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

12AX7

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:39 AM »

But allowing as many saves as you want would eliminate that problem; as you wouldn't have to overwrite previous saves, and you could just revert to the previous save if you got in one of those loops.
  Something similar happened to me in Blackhawk Down on XboX. I did a save and then got capped about a second and a half later. I just played that little segment until I saw the shooter. The next time up, he died; not me.
  But anyway...  thanks for the answers. I hadn't thought of that, and it makes sense since saves ARE overwritten.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »

problem is, that unlimited amount of saves can take up a lot of memory. oblivion saves whenever, and i once found myself with a gigabytes worth of saves.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »

On a pc game, it's my hard drive space (1T) to use however I want to. Once you get so far, just delete old saves that you don't need anymore.

rich_rowley

Copies any games on DVD or CD
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »

Game Copy Monster V1.6

If you wish to make the backup copies of your favourite original games Xbox360, Xbox, PS3, PS2, Nintendo Wii, Gamecube, PC, Dreamcast then you must try Game Copy Monster V1.6, as this system has the unique capacity of simplifying the game copying process and making it very easy for you to copy your precious game discs.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:42:34 PM by Detta »

Min

• Nice Ex-Hackernetwork Moderator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +468/-13
  • Slacker Wiseass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:41:05 PM »

Do you work for Game Copy Monster or something?  This smells like spam to me.  I'm going to undo the links but leave the post.  If someone wants to look it up, they can.

Meanwhile, if you want to stick around here Rich, please read around and then introduce yourself in the new persons section.  Thanks and have a good day.
Flammable : Inflammable :: Duh : No Duh
"I TYPE 120 WORDS PER MINUTE, BUT IT'S IN MY OWN LANGUAGE!"  -ivan
1,180,463,441,680 Coolio Points

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 04:10:48 PM »

GCM isnt on TPB. if it isnt on TPB, it probably isnt worth using.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 05:28:49 AM »

for example, like right here.

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 05:29:14 AM »

Hmm. That went. This is irritating.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »

Pretty much all cross platform games are dumbed down for console players these days.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."