The Geek Forum

• April 28, 2024, 07:15:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to the prolific nature of these forums, poster aggression is advised.

Recent Forum Posts

Shout Box

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 129553
  • Total Topics: 7150
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 1013
  • (January 12, 2023, 01:18:11 AM)

Author Topic: PC games using a controller pad  (Read 2950 times)

12AX7

PC games using a controller pad
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:09:39 AM »

Does anyone have any experience using a gamepad (same thing as an XboX controller except has a standard USB connector) with a PC game? A while back I purchased a Logitech  Rumblepad 2 to use in driving and shooting games. It has never worked properly. The hardware works; as you can calibrate it and test it in the supplied software, but start a game and the pad does nothing. Nothing at all.
  Ok, so I chalked that up as a lo$$ on the controller and got on my way using keyboard / mouce.
  However, a few days ago I purchased Call of Duty 4 on Amazon, and advertised as a package was the game, and a "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Combat Pad for PC" which was "officially" sanctioned as THE controller for the game by the game's manufacturer (Activision).

"Oh. Cool. So it obviously works with the game" I thought.  I bought it and after installing it and the game. . .   nothing. It doesn't work in the game AT ALL. It calibrates and tests in the software; but crank up the game and the controller controls nothing. The game doesn't even see it; which means you can't map it in, either.

This is TWO different controllers from different manufacturers on different versions of Windows (XPPro and Win7) tried out on a multitude of games. Common thread - ME. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? I mean, it's a pretty simple setup (CD auto-installs the software, and Windows correctly sees, identifies, and installs the controller - which is standard USB); but apparently I'm not doing something right, no?

I don't mind playing games keyboard/mouce style; but I spent MONEY on a product advertised to work with a certain game; assured by the game manufactuer itself, which doesn't work at all, so I'm a bit PISSED THE FUCK OFF right now.

So . . .  anyone?

Help?

12AX7

Re: PC games using a controller pad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:15:43 AM »

BTW - the Logitech controller and the CoD Pad are almost exactly the same item; save the paint scheme. Their layout is almost identical to an Xbox controller.

Just fyi.

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:58 AM »

use an xbox 360 controller.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:08 AM »

I used a Sega Genesis controller for my Commodore 64 games. Worked great! Just plugged it right into the joystick port and was smooth sailing.

Oh you meant CURRENT systems....sorry, can't help ya.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »

use an xbox 360 controller.

Right. Those fit pc usb ports perfectly.

Besides, the 360's controller is wireless.

Haven't you played an Xbox before?

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Coolio Points: +176/-19
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »

The only PC game I ever used a controller for was GTA San Andreas and it worked fine. I did have to tell it that I was using a controller instead of the keyboard, so you may have to go choose that in the setup for your game.
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

12AX7

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »

The only PC game I ever used a controller for was GTA San Andreas and it worked fine. I did have to tell it that I was using a controller instead of the keyboard, so you may have to go choose that in the setup for your game.

Looked high and low; no such option. Even tried to map out the buttons; but it doesnt even register the clicks.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »

Is there still a control panel game controllers thing where you can calibrate it via windows?
"God places cherubim with a flaming sword east of Eden to guard the Tree of Life from the ambitions of man.

Cherubim is plural; Genesis 3:24 specifies one flaming sword. Presumably flaming swords were in short supply."

Clear_Runway

• Wannabe Professional Blogger
  • Coolio Points: +85/-219
  • Apparently sucks at IRC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »

the 360 controller can use a wireless adapter for pc's. it works pretty darn well for me.
"Scatman, fat man, black and white an brown man, tell me 'bout the color of your soul"
- RIP Scatman John

http://themanicnerd.blogspot.com/

12AX7

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »

the 360 controller can use a wireless adapter for pc's. it works pretty darn well for me.
Ah! Cool. I didnt know there were those.

Thanks; but I'll pass. I already bought two controllers that dont work in the games; not interested in a solution involving buying something else.
 So you use it for pc games? What games does it work with? What did you do to map it? Or to tell the game to use it?

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »

Is there still a control panel game controllers thing where you can calibrate it via windows?
Yeh, it comes with software to calibrate it and test it. Everything works fine in there. All the buttons register, etc. But for some reason the game doesnt seem to see it at all.

Joe Sixpack

• Nerd
  • Low brow and brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »

As a last resort you could try something like Joy2Key, which maps controller buttons to keypresses.

xolik

• King of the Geekery
  • Hacker
  • Coolio Points: +541/-25
  • HAY GUYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »

As a last resort you could try something like Joy2Key, which maps controller buttons to keypresses.

I'm going to try playing warcraft with a joypad. If I'm just soloing as a warrior class, all I really need to do is bind one key to bladestorm and one key to cleave. I think it'll work.
Barium: What you do if CPR fails.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[The Fade^C Compound]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-